must do mods for MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
2013 CC Hemi...

What exhaust do you all suggest, or at least a muffler swap, keeping or ditching the resonators.

Looking for the best match with the S&B CAI, or the Vararam Intake to increase a little performance and squeeze out some MPG's

YIMBROKE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a Mufflex 14" kit and the Vararam on my 2013. Cant really complain about the mileage

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
As long as you stay with a free flowing muffler you will be good to go. Magnaflow, Corsa, and Borla are the top 3. Magnaflow is the most reasonably priced, so most guys go that route.

The Mufflex kits are nice id you don't want to have it welded in. You can bolt the Mufflex kit on in about 30 minutes.

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As long as you stay with a free flowing muffler you will be good to go. Magnaflow, Corsa, and Borla are the top 3. Magnaflow is the most reasonably priced, so most guys go that route.

The Mufflex kits are nice id you don't want to have it welded in. You can bolt the Mufflex kit on in about 30 minutes.

You said stay with a free flowing muffler and I had a flowmaster installed a couple months ago. What am I losing by having the flowmaster as opposed to a magnaflow in real numbers and experiences?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Its only a couple hp. With you already having the Flowmaster, I don't think it would be worth the cost to swap it out. For someone that is starting fresh, I would always look into 1 of the straight through design mufflers for the best performance and mileage.

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I noticed significantly better mpg after installing my 14" Mufflex kit(Magnaflow). The best average mpg I had ever gotten prior to the install was 16.4 mpg all highway. After install I got 18.5 mpg with mostly highway miles. I'm definitely happy with it.

Of course I haven't been able to duplicate that since because I'm having a hard time keeping my foot out of the skinny pedal. Lol.

bran101010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 R/T
Dropping weight like changing the rims has made the biggest difference on my truck.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I noticed significantly better mpg after installing my 14" Mufflex kit(Magnaflow). The best average mpg I had ever gotten prior to the install was 16.4 mpg all highway. After install I got 18.5 mpg with mostly highway miles. I'm definitely happy with it.

Of course I haven't been able to duplicate that since because I'm having a hard time keeping my foot out of the skinny pedal. Lol.

18.5 is pretty good. Was that with stock intake? I think its time I look into a mufflex kit.

JT

Ticeblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have just the trinity tuner and a undercover bed cover and I average 18.1mpg all mostly highway miles 75-120 miles one way to work locations.

If I could get better mpg than that I'd be all for it!!

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It seems like most guys say a tuner increases their mpg as long as they can keep from hot-rodding around. It's on my list of things to get, but darn house projects keep stealing my truck funds.

OP
OP
B

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
I am surprised at the cost of the mufflex kit, at 235. when the Magnaflow is only about a hundred bucks. Might just be cheaper to get the muffler and bring it to the shop...

Is the sound on the magna flow 14" very loud? does it drone in the cab at highway speeds on cruise? or do you think the the 18" is a more subtle choice and less drone?

Last edited:

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$235? Hell, I paid $299 for mine. :(

The only muffler shop in the area quoted me $100 "or so" to install a Magnaflow using crappy crush-bent aluminized pipe. I figured it was worth the extra money to get mandrel bent stainless pipe and it also utilizes the stock hanger which is nice.

I don't think the 14" is loud at all and as far as drone, I don't really notice it. I suppose it has a little bit at highway speeds, but I'm use to glasspacks on my old truck and this is like a kitten compared to that. It definitely has some drone when the 4 cylinder mode kicks in around town.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hell, with the radio even at reasonable volume the 14" is barely noticeable with the windows up, same with them down. The crew cab really creates a good barrier to keep the sound in check inside.

on the move..

Ticeblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So a person could assume, adding CAI and free flowing muffler and take resonators out, and having a tuner you could get higher than 18mpg.

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just swapped out a volant cai with the s&b... Volant seemed to give me a little more pep... Less foot in the gas to maintain speed. But the s&b fit and finish is a lot better... I did notice about 1.5 mpg gain with the volant but haven't had the s&b in long enough to compare... I just received my bully dog hemi gt tuner and not sure what to expect with it... Still running stock exhaust... For now! It is on the list next!

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So a person could assume, adding CAI and free flowing muffler and take resonators out, and having a tuner you could get higher than 18mpg.

I would think so. I wouldn't count on getting that all the time though. I don't know about you guys, but the wind blows like crazy here in KS half the time and Hemi + wind does not equal good gas mileage.

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't think youre gonna see more than 18. Maybe if you cruise at 50 on flat ground. I say for your best gas savings get a tuner and run a tune for 87 octane. There's you 20 cents a gallon. Lol

Tuner and light weight rims would be my first choices for mpg increase.

Stock I never seen more than 16. Now my evic is reading 10.2 but I also have a yorkie poo with seperation anxiety so my truck idles 15-45 minutes at a time since he can't be away from me but can't go into some stores. Lol

Last edited:

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Why take the resonators out? Am I losing any performance by still having them on?

I left mine on to make sure my exhaust wasn't too loud. It's a perfect volume for me. If it wasn't loud enough, then I would have had the resonators taken off. And BTW, I got 20 MPG on the highway with CAI and exhaust (no tuner). Set cruise to 65 MPH.

Last edited: