My 6.4 sure seems to be getting a lot of attention here lately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I seem to get an awful lot of folks these days walking up and wanting to talk about my truck. This is only my 2nd 6.4, I am a 5x Cummins owner, and more and more people want to talk about the 6.4 now. Just a few years ago, gas HD's were the red headed step child of the HD world, and if you owned one, it was like you wore a scarlet letter. In my area, you were lucky to see 1 or 2 gas HD's for every 10 diesels, but now, the gas trucks are everywhere! I especially get a lot of questions when we are camping, other campers come over and pepper me with questions about how the 6.4 tows.

I'm guessing that the EPA witch hunt over diesel has really boosted the sale of gas HD's, and the tow capacity of these new 6.4's is rally amazing! In my area, there are a ton of 6.4's, and I'm now starting to see more Ford 7.3's also. I am not dissing diesel, as I have owned plenty, and love them, but the way I drive is not good for emissions (I should have kept my 2007 5.9 Cummins). Anyhow, I just find the transition over to gas very intriguing.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
I feel like a red headed step child sometimes being a previous 5.9 owner. I do miss that mileage and sound, but this thing is far more refined than my 05, and feels far more confident at speed.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
When I first got mine we were getting out of it at Applebees and there were 2 elderly men and an elderly woman leaving and walked by my truck. One of the men asked how many HP it had. I told him 410 and he went WOW...lol. These guys had to have been in their 70's but it was funny

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The reason I recently ordered a 6.4 over the diesel was the writing on the wall coming from the EPA. They are going to regulate the diesel engine to death like all fuel based engines eventually.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I get positive chats as well. This thing is not a fancy truck but man, whatever I hook to I just put it in gear and go. It's super nice.

My dad used to have a side business hauling, and was right before the big diesel phase. Last truck for hauling was a 91 Chevy 3500 single cab long bed 4x4 454 4.11 with 4 speed. That truck could yank a trailer. And that Grammy gear was stupid low. So with all of that he likes that with all the diesels floating that I have the gas. He was impressed when he rode with me on a 10k load.

I like not having to worry about fuel filters, long warm ups, and special fuel stations. Around here if you own a diesel it's always hooked to a big trailer or 75% of them....are mall crawlers. 3' wide tires sticking out a foot past fender and the biggest exhaust tip you can bolt on. Million dollar idea, ram should sell a Cummins 3/4 call it the boy edition. Factory wide wheels with 8" exhaust tip. Electric fog machine under rear bumper to produce black smoke. They could sell a million.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
All the kids want diesels, until they have to repair a diesel.

I know a lot of older RV'ers that are switching from diesels to gassers. And several friends with hauling businesses who switched to gassers. The extra fuel costs are cheaper than diesel repair costs.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Yeah that is definitely a unicorn, did you factory order it?

Nope....left over 19 that someone else ordered...I don't know how true the story is about how it was ordered, but I got it for invoice.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I just got mine. I ordered it I needed payload and the only way I could find a 6.4 dually was in a tradesman.View attachment 462593
That's a Tradesman trim? WOW!!! Didn't know you could get the black'd out rims and grill and LED headlights with the Tradesman. That is one sharp looking truck!!! Or is it a Bighorn??? I like the color matched grill surround pieces. I wish my Longhorn had them, but forking over a butt load of money isn't in the cards just yet.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's a Tradesman trim? WOW!!! Didn't know you could get the black'd out rims and grill and LED headlights with the Tradesman. That is one sharp looking truck!!! Or is it a Bighorn??? I like the color matched grill surround pieces. I wish my Longhorn had them, but forking over a butt load of money isn't in the cards just yet.

That's not a tradesman.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love the power of my 6.4 but the fuel tank size kills it for me. When I'm pulling my 7000lb TT I have to bring a jerry can of gas because the gas stations are too far apart up here in Northern Canada.