My issues with the 2019 Ram 1500 - respectful concerns.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Floridaphil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought I'd post on here to see if I could get any answers or really any comments regarding this thread.

Back in September of 2018 my Dad bought a brand new, right off the lot, 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7. He had two other Rams in the past, a 2009 and a 2013 - both amazing, beautiful, and outstanding, reliable trucks... until this 2019.

Now, I am his son and when he was deciding between two, he let me choose the one he should get, go figure!

I simply want to go over some issues regarding his truck that have occurred since late, 2018.

All these issues are not in date order, as I haven't kept good track of dates and when issues have occurred.

Two weeks
after my father purchased his brand new 2019 Ram 1500, the power folding mirrors required service as they power folded in, but manually had to be pushed back out, as they got stuck.

Most recently, the "bolts" or "joints" that I believe connect the exhaust to the muffler somehow "snapped off." One morning we started the truck up via the remote start and noticed it sounded much louder than it did the day before. Don't get me wrong, it sounded amazing, but it's still an issue. My dad called the dealership and they told him it was not covered under Warranty or his purchased, "Extended Warranty." - meaning he had to pay out of pocket.

Back in June-ish of 2020, we were excited to drive 8 hours away from home to go on a vacation. One issue occurred though, about a week before the vacation my dad's truck had to be serviced due to the truck failing to start when the push to start button is pushed. The dealership service department had the truck for almost a week and gave it back to us two days before we had to leave and told us the "RF Hub was replaced and that caused the starting issue." Okay, well that's good that it's fixed! On our way down, skeptical but happy- we made it down to the vacation spot. The truck worked perfectly for the 6 out of 7 days we were there, but go figure- on the last and final day we ran into an issue. One night we were planning on running out to grab some food and the truck failed to start. After about 10-12 tries of starting it, we heard the weirdest noise come from the engine. I mean like if I dropped a sharp heavy metal object into the engine and it hit every single thing inside the engine, it was a not so pleasant noise. After about 20 tries, it started. We got back, tried it a few more times- worked fine. The morning of leaving, guess what- the truck fails to start again. It once again, took my Dad about 20 tries to start it. On our 8 hour ride home, we never once turned the truck off- not for gas, not for stops, nothing. Once we got back, it was serviced and on a 2019, they told us the "starter went bad". A starter on a 2019, a one year old truck at this time?

Sometime, I believe in 2020 as well the truck needed service for some reason, I honestly can't remember. Now this probably leans more on the service department, but they kept my dad's truck for an entire month because they could not figure out what was causing the issue it was causing. Ultimately - it was a very small piece way in the back of the engine.

Another issue that occurred in 2020-2021 were the Front ParkSense sensors. My dad has been in the service shop three different times for these sensors. The first time they told him faulty wiring, second time, once again- faulty wiring, and the third time they told him the actual physical sensors needed replaced. Needless to say, after "repairing" the sensors, literally the day later the "Service Front ParkSense" popped up.

Another issue that occurred was the overhead lighting failed to turn on. They said they had to replace the entire overhead compartment, the compartment that holds the emergency buttons and the moonroof buttons.

Another issue that has occurred has been with the tailgate. Sometimes and a lot of the times, the tailgate fails to open and you only hear a "click." So, you have to push it really hard and then pull it, to open it. My dad went in to get this serviced and they said they "lubricated" the tailgate. Needless to say, this issue still occurs.

Another major issue that has occurred has been with the engine cylinders. My father's truck has had at least 4-5 "Cylinder Misfires" since he bought the truck. The same symptoms every time, the engine fails to give any power and it seems as if you are going to stall. Understanding that all 4-5 times, has been yet again, another drive to the service department. All 4-5 misfires have also occurred in approx. 6 months.

Another issue that needed fixed was the "Throttle Cable." Same symptoms as the misfires, the engine fails to give any power and it seems as if you are going to stall.

Another issue that was never brought into service was one time the truck failed to pump gas normally. It almost seemed as the tank was full and the truck didn't want anymore gas, even though the truck was nowhere near full.

Another issue that was never brought into service was when the truck sometimes fails to get out of Park. It'll display a message stating, "Please put the vehicle in park." - or something along those lines and it'll never let you get out of park unless you restart the engine a couple of times.

And despite all of the issues I have posted, I know these aren't all the issues my Dad has ran into. These are the most upfront and larger scaled or newer issues.

Here's the issue though- when my Dad comes to trade this truck in, how does he know with buying another Ram that he will receive a reliable and durable truck? Would he seriously be a fool to buy another Ram after all the issues he's had?
He loves Ram. He likes the looks, everything. He hates Ford, Chevy, GMC, all the other brands.

I wrote this up just to see if anyone else has ran into any issues with their 2019 Ram 1500's. I meant for this thread to be as respectful as possible to Ram as I understand that this truck was, as my grandpop would say, "built on a Friday."
Well I have had a 2018 and now a 2020, fortunately none of those issues, the only problems i have had was the USB socket on the dash failed. Sadly sometime you just get that one vehicle that suffers everything imaginable, been there a few times, but not with the Rams. Doesn't help you guys, but I'm sure yours was a lemon. Now dealerships is another story, most of them don't seem to give a crap that you don't have the use of your vehicle for ages, the only dealerships seem to be Cadillac where they pick up the vehicle and leave you another, apart from that the rest just suck.

Octane

Reaction score
I thought I'd post on here to see if I could get any answers or really any comments regarding this thread.

Back in September of 2018 my Dad bought a brand new, right off the lot, 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7. He had two other Rams in the past, a 2009 and a 2013 - both amazing, beautiful, and outstanding, reliable trucks... until this 2019.

Now, I am his son and when he was deciding between two, he let me choose the one he should get, go figure!

I simply want to go over some issues regarding his truck that have occurred since late, 2018.

All these issues are not in date order, as I haven't kept good track of dates and when issues have occurred.

Two weeks
after my father purchased his brand new 2019 Ram 1500, the power folding mirrors required service as they power folded in, but manually had to be pushed back out, as they got stuck.

Most recently, the "bolts" or "joints" that I believe connect the exhaust to the muffler somehow "snapped off." One morning we started the truck up via the remote start and noticed it sounded much louder than it did the day before. Don't get me wrong, it sounded amazing, but it's still an issue. My dad called the dealership and they told him it was not covered under Warranty or his purchased, "Extended Warranty." - meaning he had to pay out of pocket.

Back in June-ish of 2020, we were excited to drive 8 hours away from home to go on a vacation. One issue occurred though, about a week before the vacation my dad's truck had to be serviced due to the truck failing to start when the push to start button is pushed. The dealership service department had the truck for almost a week and gave it back to us two days before we had to leave and told us the "RF Hub was replaced and that caused the starting issue." Okay, well that's good that it's fixed! On our way down, skeptical but happy- we made it down to the vacation spot. The truck worked perfectly for the 6 out of 7 days we were there, but go figure- on the last and final day we ran into an issue. One night we were planning on running out to grab some food and the truck failed to start. After about 10-12 tries of starting it, we heard the weirdest noise come from the engine. I mean like if I dropped a sharp heavy metal object into the engine and it hit every single thing inside the engine, it was a not so pleasant noise. After about 20 tries, it started. We got back, tried it a few more times- worked fine. The morning of leaving, guess what- the truck fails to start again. It once again, took my Dad about 20 tries to start it. On our 8 hour ride home, we never once turned the truck off- not for gas, not for stops, nothing. Once we got back, it was serviced and on a 2019, they told us the "starter went bad". A starter on a 2019, a one year old truck at this time?

Sometime, I believe in 2020 as well the truck needed service for some reason, I honestly can't remember. Now this probably leans more on the service department, but they kept my dad's truck for an entire month because they could not figure out what was causing the issue it was causing. Ultimately - it was a very small piece way in the back of the engine.

Another issue that occurred in 2020-2021 were the Front ParkSense sensors. My dad has been in the service shop three different times for these sensors. The first time they told him faulty wiring, second time, once again- faulty wiring, and the third time they told him the actual physical sensors needed replaced. Needless to say, after "repairing" the sensors, literally the day later the "Service Front ParkSense" popped up.

Another issue that occurred was the overhead lighting failed to turn on. They said they had to replace the entire overhead compartment, the compartment that holds the emergency buttons and the moonroof buttons.

Another issue that has occurred has been with the tailgate. Sometimes and a lot of the times, the tailgate fails to open and you only hear a "click." So, you have to push it really hard and then pull it, to open it. My dad went in to get this serviced and they said they "lubricated" the tailgate. Needless to say, this issue still occurs.

Another major issue that has occurred has been with the engine cylinders. My father's truck has had at least 4-5 "Cylinder Misfires" since he bought the truck. The same symptoms every time, the engine fails to give any power and it seems as if you are going to stall. Understanding that all 4-5 times, has been yet again, another drive to the service department. All 4-5 misfires have also occurred in approx. 6 months.

Another issue that needed fixed was the "Throttle Cable." Same symptoms as the misfires, the engine fails to give any power and it seems as if you are going to stall.

Another issue that was never brought into service was one time the truck failed to pump gas normally. It almost seemed as the tank was full and the truck didn't want anymore gas, even though the truck was nowhere near full.

Another issue that was never brought into service was when the truck sometimes fails to get out of Park. It'll display a message stating, "Please put the vehicle in park." - or something along those lines and it'll never let you get out of park unless you restart the engine a couple of times.

And despite all of the issues I have posted, I know these aren't all the issues my Dad has ran into. These are the most upfront and larger scaled or newer issues.

Here's the issue though- when my Dad comes to trade this truck in, how does he know with buying another Ram that he will receive a reliable and durable truck? Would he seriously be a fool to buy another Ram after all the issues he's had?
He loves Ram. He likes the looks, everything. He hates Ford, Chevy, GMC, all the other brands.

I wrote this up just to see if anyone else has ran into any issues with their 2019 Ram 1500's. I meant for this thread to be as respectful as possible to Ram as I understand that this truck was, as my grandpop would say, "built on a Friday."
There were a lot of recalls on the 2019 model year Rams. Lots of issues, Ive read sources that the 2012 model year and the 2019 were two of the worst years for the Ram truck reliability.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
There were a lot of recalls on the 2019 model year Rams. Lots of issues, Ive read sources that the 2012 model year and the 2019 were two of the worst years for the Ram truck reliability.
That's funny on the 2012, I couldn't ask for a better truck and I have 2 of them, a 1500 and a 2500. 136,000 miles on the 1500 and 214,000 miles on the 2500.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Trade in's are in demand now I hear. Some of you post sounds strange, tail gate, loosen the lock stud off a bit. My mirrors will freeze in winter, if I wash it, but that likely is not issue these days.
Almost sound like maybe a computer problem with some of this stuff. I don't think you have a throttle cable, Tail pipe clamp breaking, that should be warranty, unless you Dad is driving over rocks. Starter could go in one year if it was no good. I think your dealer is stupid?
Some stuff you talk about , I am not sure if you know what is going on with the truck.
Mine is a 2014, has been great, same with the last one, 2009,2005, and a bunch of older ones, starting in 1949, with dads .

Octane

Reaction score
That's funny on the 2012, I couldn't ask for a better truck and I have 2 of them, a 1500 and a 2500. 136,000 miles on the 1500 and 214,000 miles on the 2500.
My other sources also said the 2011 was the bad one and it was an alright buy on the 2012s.I believe personally the 2012s were okay.Rams did have a few issues leading up to that 2012,but it wasnt every year that was affected.2012 was the first year for the 65rfe also.And 2013 65rfe got an improved torque converter.Better balljoints and frame strengthening.But the notorious cam/ lifter problem was across 2012s thru the 2016s especially.But other years were afflicted also.The 19s have been afllicted with more recalls than any other.

Southern Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm also having a little issue with my tailgate, I have to push on it to try to get it to open and it doesn't happen on the first time. Maybe I should get mine looked at.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
This is why I'm glad I'm a person that doesn't want a vehicle to do things for me. I eat a bowl of wheaties every morning so I can open my tailgate without a button and a lot of other things. It costless also! Lol

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This is why I'm glad I'm a person that doesn't want a vehicle to do things for me. I eat a bowl of wheaties every morning so I can open my tailgate without a button and a lot of other things. It costless also! Lol
Ah, so you're one of those with wind up windows and the Flintstone propulsion method. Making sense now.

KingBama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine
Man I am so sorry you had all those issues. I bought my 2019 right at the beginning of the redesign and I haven’t had a single issue other than the tailgate thing. Mine you could hear the electronic latch trying to engage but it wouldn’t until after 6-8 tries.

I would just trade it in bud. It’s almost a guarantee the new one will be reliable. I can’t say that I could be convinced though if it had been me in your shoes lol

AltaVision

Reaction score
If I had that list of issues with any truck, the last thing I would do is trade it in on a newer version of the same truck. I’m not brand loyal though. Certainly not after a list of issues like that.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Demand is high. Trade it off on a new one if you can. It might not set you back much at all, if any.

Peter Albert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
We have a "lemon law" here in California. 3 major issues and the dealer either has to give you all your money back for the vehicle, including repair costs incurred, or replace the vehicle, applying repair costs to get a better vehicle or refunding repair costs and replacing the vehicle. Does your State have a similar law? If so, it's time to make them take the vehicle back. That many issues, clearly a lemon.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you consider that most if not all of the components that all brands use come from countries that don't like us, it is a wonder that anything works at all. I mean, c'mon, most of the electronics come from China for crying out loud.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Two weeks

Sorry your dad is having all these issues, I have a 2019 new body style fifth gen Ram crew cab Laramie 4x4 off road with the sport package. I have 47-k on the truck now and have experienced absolutely no type of issues period. It goes to the dealer every 5000 miles for oil changes and tire rotation and all other recommended service that is standard to the service recommended by Ram! My oil changes are free at my dealer for 36 months. Love my Ram and hope to continue trouble free.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque

Two weeks

Great write up. First of all, I'm sorry your pappy had so many issues with his truck, that has to be irritating, especially when it's the brand you rely on the most. Having said that, I bought a 2021 Laramie and I've had nothing but good luck out of it just like I did with the two 4th gens I owned before. I've read about problem after problem with the 2019 and 2020 Rams on here and have yet to see or experience any of them in my 2021 other than the gas pump issue, and with that I will hold the back of the handle up to give the fuel a better flow and it only happens at one gas station (the rest pump just fine). I believe a majority of the 2019 Rams had issues that were fixed for the 2020 year, and the 2020 issues were fixed in 2021. A majority of the 2021 Rams are experiencing none of these problems. Tell your dad that the 2021 models are great, and the 2022 models could be even better.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
If I had that list of issues with any truck, the last thing I would do is trade it in on a newer version of the same truck. I’m not brand loyal though. Certainly not after a list of issues like that.

I wasn't brand loyal until every truck design was changed so dramatically. I've been in a Ram since 2006 and other than my two 3rd gens, I've yet to have any issues.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
When you consider that most if not all of the components that all brands use come from countries that don't like us, it is a wonder that anything works at all. I mean, c'mon, most of the electronics come from China for crying out loud.

Very true. They're made in Mexico, Canada, and Michigan though.