My junk 2016 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Qakman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody have the check engine light on most of the time ? Mine does. And it completely died on me with no warning. Every warning light on the cluster went on and the wipers came on with the switch off. Then the truck just went dead for about 5 minutes. I’m sure it will never happen again. Haha. They keep telling me they are looking for a bad plug or harness when I know it’s a computer problem.Every other time they said no codes were stored. Now this time they said it’s over 140 but now the th said they disappeared today. I’ve had it back 6 times and this last time they’ve had it for 4 days. Even though they said I would have a loaner the last 3 times I’m still sitting here needing a vehicle. I hate this truck. Thanks Ram $30 k for a heap of scrap metal. I’m sure electrical and computer problems will just go away on their own.

Kingzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sucks you're having all those issue . Have had my 16 going on 3 months now and it has been great. GL getting it figured out.

JWExperience

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve had my ‘16 bighorn for two years and noticed some electrical oddities but nowhere near yours. I’m questioning long term reliability. My auto window function and cruise have stopped working a couple times but then work after a restart. I noticed my steering wheel button to accept phone calls also takes repeated presses to pick up a call most times. My backup cam has gone black a twice and then worked on restart too. Love the looks, features, engine and ride but seems cheaply made compared to previous Ford’s and Toyota’s I’ve had so I worry about reliability more than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Buy it used....?

That is what I am wondering. I know someone that unknowingly purchased a flood vehicle. The computers appeared to have been soaked and that vehicle had all sorts of electronic glitches until the computers "below the water line" were replaced. ECM and BCM both had signs of water infiltration.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My first suggestion is to take it to a different dealer or shop. If they have had it as many times as you say and haven't been able to find anything wrong then it's time for a fresh pair of eyes and a fresh perspective to diagnose the truck. I have always recommended that if a shop has had the same vehicle three different times and always come up with "unable to duplicate customers concern" or "no codes found" then it's time for a new shop. Service advisors and mechanics get aggravated having to deal with the same customer over and over so they blow them off and say "No trouble found." It's sh*tty and I don't agree with it but it happens daily. The mechanic that is looking at your truck is probably not getting paid to check it out again so he is doing the minimal work required. He is probably connecting his WiTech VCI pod and seeing if there are any DTC's set in any module and he's probably looking to see if any module has a software update and then he is parking it outside.

Even if you have to drive a substantial amount to get the truck to another dealer or good independent shop it's going to be worth it in the short term and the long run for you.

On a side note, I work on vehicles like yours every day. I work on the rechecks and comebacks after a particular technician has worked on that vehicle at least twice for the same concern. One a vehicle comes back twice it comes to me. Especially on trucks like yours. Not every dealership or independent shop has a bunch of diagnostic gurus or electrical superhero's. It couldn't be further from the actual norm. Most dealerships only have one technician who is an electrical wizard and can diagnose anything. The rest of the techs are just practicing.

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sucks for you musta got a dud have never had a problem like this but if you bought it used from a dealer there is normally only 1 reason people trade vehicles in to a dealer why? Cause there is something wrong with it lol. But yea as said above take it to a diff dealer i would also check all ground wires/connections. Also i would have them check the ignition switch module mine went bad did some funny **** was replaced under recall yours is a 2016 so probably push button? could do the same thing possibly idk..

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody have the check engine light on most of the time ? Mine does. And it completely died on me with no warning. Every warning light on the cluster went on and the wipers came on with the switch off. Then the truck just went dead for about 5 minutes. I’m sure it will never happen again. Haha. They keep telling me they are looking for a bad plug or harness when I know it’s a computer problem.Every other time they said no codes were stored. Now this time they said it’s over 140 but now the th said they disappeared today. I’ve had it back 6 times and this last time they’ve had it for 4 days. Even though they said I would have a loaner the last 3 times I’m still sitting here needing a vehicle. I hate this truck. Thanks Ram $30 k for a heap of scrap metal. I’m sure electrical and computer problems will just go away on their own.

Man first off, I'm really sorry to hear you're having this experience and I know first hand how unsympathetic people can be when you're dealing with car problems. I had a lemon 2015 Cherokee (bought brand new) and if the fact I had a $35k paperweight wasn't bad enough, people on jeep forums were absolute ****** to me when I was trying to get help. Mad at me for reminding them new doesn't always mean flawless. It took a long time to get unwrapped from that lemon and put it all behind me where it belongs.

So you have my compassion on this, don't feel like nobody gives a hoot.

Can you expand on who you've taken the truck to, were those diagnostics from a Ram dealer or from some other shop?

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Have you had the battery checked? Kind of sounds like a reliable power problem.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
have had my 16 for just 3 months but no problems. as another poster said, have another pair of eyes check it out.
have done that numerous times after 38 years as a refrigeration tech that some times it helps to get another opinion of the issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

Qakman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still no resolution. I agree it’s probably a computer issue. Case manager hasn’t called me in a week.

OP
OP
Q

Qakman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At the dealer now. Ram won’t do a damn thing. My case manager never called. Making a deal on another one because I’m between a rock and a hard place. Nobody else will take it. Not even the truck I want. Have little choice.

OP
OP
Q

Qakman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve had my ‘16 bighorn for two years and noticed some electrical oddities but nowhere near yours. I’m questioning long term reliability. My auto window function and cruise have stopped working a couple times but then work after a restart. I noticed my steering wheel button to accept phone calls also takes repeated presses to pick up a call most times. My backup cam has gone black a twice and then worked on restart too. Love the looks, features, engine and ride but seems cheaply made compared to previous Ford’s and Toyota’s I’ve had so I worry about reliability more than ever.

Same way it started with mine. Cruise control wouldn’t work and the phone button didn’t respond. More and more started to happen.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm with @Dave2018 , because if you have a check engine light on ALL the time, there will be codes, you can get a cheap code reader, or have autozone do it for free. The only way the code MIGHT not be there is if the electrical/battery is disconnecting while driving, and erasing said code. Weird for sure.

Even then codes are usually permanent, (just meaning the vehicle has to go through 40 run cycles with no issues, before they dissapear forever.)

OP
OP
Q

Qakman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It had 140 codes when they looked at it. Now they disappeared. They said they cant get it to do it again. It’s obviously a computer issue but Ram won’t do anything. It’s over I got rid of it.