My lightbar....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have waded through the majority of these posts and I searched the forums but had no luck with my question.

which is, those with the Active Grill Shutters how do you mount a light bar or "neon" lights in the grill? are the shutters in the way? is it easy to access once you remove the cover over the radiator?

*edit*
Bump???????

It really just depends on how handy you want to get and how much you are willing to drill into the truck. The shutters could be in the way depending on the bar setup you plan to do. The harder part is mounting them as you'd have to fabricate a bracket to either the upper cross bar that the grill attaches to, or below by the bumper.

For my setup I mounted directly to my grill but in order to have room for the lightbar I had to remove one of the plastic "diverters" that goes between the grill and the shutters. It really seems like most people with the shutters stay away from mounting behind the grill.

16Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It really just depends on how handy you want to get and how much you are willing to drill into the truck. The shutters could be in the way depending on the bar setup you plan to do. The harder part is mounting them as you'd have to fabricate a bracket to either the upper cross bar that the grill attaches to, or below by the bumper.

For my setup I mounted directly to my grill but in order to have room for the lightbar I had to remove one of the plastic "diverters" that goes between the grill and the shutters. It really seems like most people with the shutters stay away from mounting behind the grill.

thank you! I was looking to do something similar to your grille but haven't decided if behind or in the grill like you have. if it is a paint to do with the shutter I might just look for other places to mount it.

one of these days when I settle on a bar ill look into the grille and see if I can mount it in there. is there any performance (like the shutters not working per their design) issues with the thing you moved to get your bar mounted in there?

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Any one using a mic-tuning or auxbeam bar on their truck? Was looking between these two on Amazon was wondering if anyone has feedback on them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thank you! I was looking to do something similar to your grille but haven't decided if behind or in the grill like you have. if it is a paint to do with the shutter I might just look for other places to mount it.

one of these days when I settle on a bar ill look into the grille and see if I can mount it in there. is there any performance (like the shutters not working per their design) issues with the thing you moved to get your bar mounted in there?

No issues at all with what I had removed, I believe it is there to simple separate the top and bottom half of the stock grill so the lower part diverts air to the lower set of grills and the top part diverts to the top set of grills. Since my grill is all open honeycomb anyway it doesn't effect anything.

Bumper is the popular location on the newer trucks with the active shutters. It takes a bit of ingenuity to work around the active shutters. Good lucK!

16Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No issues at all with what I had removed, I believe it is there to simple separate the top and bottom half of the stock grill so the lower part diverts air to the lower set of grills and the top part diverts to the top set of grills. Since my grill is all open honeycomb anyway it doesn't effect anything.

Bumper is the popular location on the newer trucks with the active shutters. It takes a bit of ingenuity to work around the active shutters. Good lucK!

thanks! it will be a winter project for me. I need a bar and time and with production running hard right now before it gets to cold in ohio I don't have much time.

thanks again for all the help!

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
32" auxbeam spot/flood combo. Tried to get some night shots but they turned out horrid. Will get some better ones tmmrw31a2fa6e59a8bea5717fadb060d2ba37.jpg63f31755e941537e94591eb66e3fc365.jpg

CanadianRAm16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Laramie
Engine
32 inch light bar

Just added a 32 inch curved light bar between the tow hooks. Decided to drill into the tow hooks. But fits nicely.

Attachments

• 20171001_141521.jpg
    20171001_141521.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 119

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any one using a mic-tuning or auxbeam bar on their truck? Was looking between these two on Amazon was wondering if anyone has feedback on them?

if your looking for a quality lower cost light bar we also sell the Morimoto LED light bars. check em out here
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/assemblies/off-road-lighting/xtorch-40-light-bar.html

Let me know if you would like a quote.

we also sell all the big name brands like Rigid, KC, etc...

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Imagine someone actually turning all those lights on.....lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

dynocon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did the light bar come with a mounting kit or did you make a bracket?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I notice the ones in the sport front bumpers are touching or close to touching the plastic, do these lights get hot on surface?

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I notice the ones in the sport front bumpers are touching or close to touching the plastic, do these lights get hot on surface?
For any kind of normal light bar use no they don't get remotely close to hot enough to harm clear and mine are cheapos... I assume I use mine possibly longer then some?? Idk but when I end up riding late and loading up late I end up driving the woods trails at night back out to the fire roads which is a solid 10 miles easy, and considering it's 100% off road terrain (huge rocks, tree stumps, knocked down trees, massive tree roots etc etc) 10 miles takes a long damn time lol and they are just warm afterwards, but definitely not hot

EDIT: I guess my bars do have a lot more "breathing" room then in the confinement of a sport bumper..... I never really thought about that part. That could play a part in housing temps

Last edited:

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Not enough to cause issue. They get warm but that’s it. At least that what I am experiencing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok thanks, I’m working on trying to fit one little differently so this is good to know.

On the 2014’s up do most members remove the entire insert or just trim it out?

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok thanks, I’m working on trying to fit one little differently so this is good to know.

On the 2014’s up do most members remove the entire insert or just trim it out?

I've seen some trim and other take it all out. You can fit a curved 42" I believe. I'm getting ready to order some tow hooks and then a 30" to put in between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JB1

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So please forgive me for not going thru 88 pages but how hot do the fins get?
Specifically the Auxbeam 42 inch 240W CREE Combo Curved Off Road Driving LED Light Bar (5D Projector Lens). I want to mount this to the Sport bumper's lower black faux inlet (pic attached) but the fins touch the paint. Also is that plastic piece sturdy enough to hold the lightbars weight?

Edit; Just saw on this very page, heat question was asked DOH.

Thanks

20180105_163421_LI.jpg

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ok so here is what I did after Auxbeam didn't like where I was going to mount. And honestly a 42" lightbar is too small for that insert. Once I removed the plastic I had two gaping holes on either side that just looked awful. I mounted under the fascia drilling into the plastic underside, nothing in the way and seemed pretty sturdy... The truck is lifted (4.5") so I don't anticipate any issues with it being underneath, anyone have experience to the contrary?

20180111_132325.jpg

20180111_132347.jpg