My personal review on the BakFlip MX4.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well here we go, I purchased this as it’s one of the (5) I’ve seen available for our 2019. Yes I know others will say they are all the same, and I’m not here to dispute that. I just wanted the one that I ordered to say 2019 for my own piece of mind.

First fitment towards the rear was a little tricky. Once on it felt very secured. Now for my pros/cons as I see it.

Pro:
Fitment is tight, doesn’t leak.
Loving being able to lift only the sections needed.
Doesn’t add any extra noise while driving.
Ability to open/ shut tailgate while it’s closed.
The looks.

Cons:
When on a level surface after the rain, the water just sits on it.
Having when fully open to strap it again the cab.

Now with that in mind would I recommend this as a “ good buy “, that would be a yes. Is it my favorite tonneau cover, no. That honor was given to my Undercover one due to the fact that it was a one and done thing. Oh it had it’s fault, but I would readily buy another one again if they were made for the 2019.

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well here we go, I purchased this as it’s one of the (5) I’ve seen available for our 2019. Yes I know others will say they are all the same, and I’m not here to dispute that. I just wanted the one that I ordered to say 2019 for my own piece of mind.

First fitment towards the rear was a little tricky. Once on it felt very secured. Now for my pros/cons as I see it.

Pro:
Fitment is tight, doesn’t leak.
Loving being able to lift only the sections needed.
Doesn’t add any extra noise while driving.
Ability to open/ shut tailgate while it’s closed.
The looks.

Cons:
When on a level surface after the rain, the water just sits on it.
Having when fully open to strap it again the cab.

Now with that in mind would I recommend this as a “ good buy “, that would be a yes. Is it my favorite tonneau cover, no. That honor was given to my Undercover one due to the fact that it was a one and done thing. Oh it had it’s fault, but I would readily buy another one again if they were made for the 2019.

I have an undercover ultra flex.........which model are you saying it's available for 19? Mine is great, but it does allow few drips into the back corners of the tailgate. Nothing major.........just seeping over into those small non-covered corners. I'm sure I can just throw a seal there. It's been raining alllllll week here and the little bit that gets in those corners isn't alarming to me.

Just checked undercover's page and they make each model cover for the 19s. I pulled them up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
At the time I was looking into tonneau covers, they actually didn’t have ones for actual sale. I was told they would be available closer to mid August. The one I had on my last Ram kept everything and I do mean everything dry.e5fd64c94155eb4e4ffe3f3619b078ee.jpg

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At the time I was looking into tonneau covers, they actually didn’t have ones for actual sale. I was told they would be available closer to mid August. The one I had on my last Ram kept everything and I do mean everything dry.

I took delivery of my Ram July 4..........I had already gotten the part number for my undercover ultra flex the third/fourth week of June. My GMC had an undercover elite....the color matched one with carpeted lining. I liked it alot and it was 1000% waterproof. I just wanted a sleeker look this time. The undercover Lux was an option, which is hard cover and more stream lined. If this one fails within the 5 year warranty and needs replacing, I may switch to it much later.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Has anyone tried the mopar trifold bed cover for the 2019s? It looks like it is priced low compared to after market stuff I have looked at.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the mx4 for my '16, it's been almost 2 years now and I still like it. I have a couple issues, mostly adjustments that I just need to get around to doing. But I do have an issue with one of the cables that broke or came off internally so I can't open it from that side right now. Just have not had the time to take it apart to see if it's broke or just came unhooked inside. But other than that, I really enjoy the sturdiness of it and would recommend and buy another myself when the time comes.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why did you pick a truck over a large SUV What's the purpose of putting this over the bed?

Kevin1022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I received my replacement BakFlip MX4 this week after having issues with the elevator bolts being blocked by the plastic backing. Unfortunately had the same issue with the replacement but it was not as bad as it was with the first. I used a drill and the bolts fit flush with the top.

I have been through a bad rain and a car wash and only had a minor drop of water on my passenger wheel well. The final cable pull closest to the cab is a little tight compared to the others and takes a little more force to snap in place than I would like but so far I am really happy with the look and water tightness. I now have a complete set of replacement parts too from the first one they sent me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justintx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
DRkNESS and warv3t,
Just curious, did you ever have any issues with the Undercover Ultra Flex with it fully open (straight up and down) driving at speed?
Thanks

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^. Not in the least as that baby was rock solid whether it was down and secured, or all of the way up as I was driving 65mph...