My Prerunner Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaxSteel2013

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How is the clicky sound compared not to having bypasses ?
Nick from DK told me today i'll hear clicky noises if i've never used bypasses before and i've never had.
How would you rate the noise (assuming you can compare to something similar in loudness)

So honestly I can't hear the clicking noises in the rear. What I can hear is the clunking sound of the frame supports. I need to spray some dry lube in there tonight to see how it acts tomorrow.

OP
OP
ttthiel

ttthiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2016
Engine
5.7, 5.7
Do you have any issues with the rear? Do you have it lifted at all? I installed the DK rear and it feels awesome...I'm just worried about the 37s I'm about to put on.

Actually the rear end is 100% stock other than bilstein 5100's in that picture lol. I just installed the dirt king rear control arms and I am having a custom bedcage utilizing 2.5x16 ibp king coilovers. The rear is extremely weak as it sits. Bilstein can not keep up with my front end. I like the idea of the dirt king rear kit but I am looking for more performance than that and for the price its just not ideal for me. That is awesome though that you enjoy it! Is it your daily? I would not worry about putting 37 in the rear. Bigger the tire the better is the way I see it.

OP
OP
ttthiel

ttthiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2016
Engine
5.7, 5.7
OP
OP
ttthiel

ttthiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2016
Engine
5.7, 5.7
Oh wow I didn’t realize you wanted the bypass specs my bad!

OP
OP
ttthiel

ttthiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2016
Engine
5.7, 5.7
So it has been a while since i have been on here and a lot has changed on the truck! I finally had the rear end finished utilizing 2.5x16 inch king ibp coilovers and the ride is pretty amazing. Truck handles whoops like no other but sadly haven't gotten to jump it too much yet. Seeing dune season is over I have been doing some much needed maintenance on the ole girl. My last trip to the dunes I actually cracked my front diff housing so that is on order, I am painting the whole truck a gun metal grey, I just put 37 nittos on it, and got a wilco tire gate for the rear end. I am sure this won't be all of it before the season comes up but this will be enough to keep me busy!

6B2ACAEF-3C29-44DF-A52F-5DC0989F3393.JPG

AE395B9E-6976-4159-B9D8-70E4EE208812.JPG

IMG_1830.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

IMG_1832.JPG

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it "finished" not that really ever are. So jealous of all the go fast guys for sure. Bed cage looks sweet, not too overdone which I like.

What did you do for bumps in the rear? Air cans? Hydro?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttthiel

ttthiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2016
Engine
5.7, 5.7
Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it "finished" not that really ever are. So jealous of all the go fast guys for sure. Bed cage looks sweet, not too overdone which I like.

What did you do for bumps in the rear? Air cans? Hydro?

Hoping to do locked offroad bumps here in the very near future. Also you are correct they are never truly done lol.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Hoping to do locked offroad bumps here in the very near future. Also you are correct they are never truly done lol.
Those will do it for sure. You're ready for all the air time now!

How much travel you cycling now front and rear? Just curious, and is it enough or will you be pursuing more in the future.

I know nothing about the world of prerunner, all I know is I went for a ride in one, and thank god i live on the east coast because I'd be broke if I had one.

OP
OP
ttthiel

ttthiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2016
Engine
5.7, 5.7
Those will do it for sure. You're ready for all the air time now!

How much travel you cycling now front and rear? Just curious, and is it enough or will you be pursuing more in the future.

I know nothing about the world of prerunner, all I know is I went for a ride in one, and thank god i live on the east coast because I'd be broke if I had one.

The rear cycles right around 16 inches of travel give or take 1/2 inch and once I get the bumps installed I will be done with the rear. The front however I'd like to adjust. I want to run new cv's with extend range, bypass for dampening, and a bump stop. With that I think i would be extremely close to 15 inches of travel. Been trying to get dirt king to make a hoop for a bypass like they do on the silverados but if they do not soon I am going to just have a fab shop do it for me. They are for sure pretty pricey to maintain and upgrade but all that is thrown out the window when you are flying through the dunes haha.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
The rear cycles right around 16 inches of travel give or take 1/2 inch and once I get the bumps installed I will be done with the rear. The front however I'd like to adjust. I want to run new cv's with extend range, bypass for dampening, and a bump stop. With that I think i would be extremely close to 15 inches of travel. Been trying to get dirt king to make a hoop for a bypass like they do on the silverados but if they do not soon I am going to just have a fab shop do it for me. They are for sure pretty pricey to maintain and upgrade but all that is thrown out the window when you are flying through the dunes haha.
Badass! I'm sure the quality of that travel is off the hook as well. I do know quality is over quantity. I had a thuren 10" travel kit on my 2500 and that Pig would boogy and jump great for being 8k lbs. I can't imagine nearly double the useable travel, ifs and coilover. Gotta feel awesome.

So up front would be all new arms, halfshafts, steering etc to get the bypasses to work for extended travel? Or is it just strapped to save the CVs and you have room to grow? Rcv axles work?

Keeping 4wd is the best part of this, there's just something about a 4wd sand rig that's badasser than the rest

OP
OP
ttthiel

ttthiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2016
Engine
5.7, 5.7
Badass! I'm sure the quality of that travel is off the hook as well. I do know quality is over quantity. I had a thuren 10" travel kit on my 2500 and that Pig would boogy and jump great for being 8k lbs. I can't imagine nearly double the useable travel, ifs and coilover. Gotta feel awesome.

So up front would be all new arms, halfshafts, steering etc to get the bypasses to work for extended travel? Or is it just strapped to save the CVs and you have room to grow? Rcv axles work?

Keeping 4wd is the best part of this, there's just something about a 4wd sand rig that's badasser than the rest

For sure quality over quantity and dirt king is damn good at both. and actually i would just modify the lower arm and tie the bypass into the hoop is what i am hoping for. Steering would be heim joints and custom cv's from rcv's is the plan. 2wd sucks in the sand unless you run paddles then it isn't too bad from my understanding but I will just stick to 4wd

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Awesome, dude. The build is coming along great. Looks like you're enjoying the fruits of your labor with it, too. Still have the factory motor and trans?

Edited to correct misspell.

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is an update on the truck. Fiberglass fenders and valence installed, new fuel wheels, and front bumper from dirt king installed. Truck sits about 3.25 inches higher than stock is my approximation. I could use some feedback about the rear suspension. I was going to run Gunnar Offroad kit but I decided against that due to the price. For what they want I could dang near do a custom rear end. So I am either going to do a custom short course rear end with relocation of control arms and bedcage and coilovers pulling 16-18 inches of travel. Along with all that a fuel cell and mounts for 37's or just go the easy and cheap route and run dirt king rear suspension pulling about 12.5 inches of travel. So give me some feedback and I would appreciate it! Finish the truck now with dirt king or wait a couple months and make this a real prerunner??

View attachment 159507

View attachment 159508

View attachment 159509

View attachment 159510

View attachment 159511

Truck is badass man. I’ve been looking into dirt king’s front bumper and I think I’m going to do it, especially after I’ve seen yours. How hard was it to install? Did you have tow hooks before?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it has been a while since i have been on here and a lot has changed on the truck! I finally had the rear end finished utilizing 2.5x16 inch king ibp coilovers and the ride is pretty amazing. Truck handles whoops like no other but sadly haven't gotten to jump it too much yet. Seeing dune season is over I have been doing some much needed maintenance on the ole girl. My last trip to the dunes I actually cracked my front diff housing so that is on order, I am painting the whole truck a gun metal grey, I just put 37 nittos on it, and got a wilco tire gate for the rear end. I am sure this won't be all of it before the season comes up but this will be enough to keep me busy!

View attachment 188542

View attachment 188543

View attachment 188544

View attachment 188545

View attachment 188546
Dirt King came up with a similar setup now. It’s not in their website yet but I saw the new setup a few weeks ago at the Pomona off-road show and snapped couple of pics. They had 2 4th gen RAM 1500’s, one had King COs front and rear and the other had Fox.
sweet setup bro.

55121169-2E28-4577-9891-181DB5293417.jpeg

EED3A44D-221D-4962-9F71-0CB1216F0FA8.jpeg

B4B32F34-BD03-4B40-B9B0-5CBC22D8E333.jpeg

18782EDB-8625-42D0-90C6-A4A480EAFD5C.jpeg

F877E56E-E151-4357-BB0F-518343F6D9A6.jpeg

OP
OP
ttthiel

ttthiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2016
Engine
5.7, 5.7
Truck is badass man. I’ve been looking into dirt king’s front bumper and I think I’m going to do it, especially after I’ve seen yours. How hard was it to install? Did you have tow hooks before?

I love the dirt king front bumper. I did not have any tow hooks before so it was just as simple as take the stock one off and bolt dk's up. I think its like 8 bolts total. Super simple to do and comes with new hardware.