My Ram 1500 is the worst vehicle Ive purchased. (Power steering)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really just frustrated and upset. I've spent so much money recently and just having a rough go.
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 w/ EPS.
I have had to replace ball joints, and recently the RH axle. Monday I took the truck in again for an intermittent clicking when turning left or right that the shop couldnt replicate. Took it back home after the shop couldn't figure it out and said it would be safe to drive the next day.

Started the truck yesterday morning and had no power steering!! Fast forward to this morning I tried again and had steering again. Turned off the truck and restarted it... NO STEERING! Called my local dealership Anderson Motors and they want me to bring it in to replace the rack and pinion. An almost $3000 piece... on A 6 YEAR OLD TRUCK?! Absolutely ridiculous this is happening. I told them if I bring the truck in they can keep it. The brakes will need to be replaced soon. The LH axle will likely need to be replaced too. I've been told the tie rods will need to be replaced also.
I've spent more money on this vehicle than any other before it. Again... just really frustrated with life right now.
Someone made a joke about the front ends falling out of Dodges and I laughed... but now I can agree!
Where is the TSB's? Recalls?
I suspect more and more of these electronic problems will be popping up.

Attachments

• 20220330_105941.jpg
    20220330_105941.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes you're right. These are the worst trucks in the world.
How could the brakes only last 6 years. OMG!
What did you run into that the axle would have to be replaced?
Get rid of your truck and be gone.
download (5).jpg

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't run into anything... that's the problem!
There are multiple reports of power steering loss and many more "fixes". An electronic piece shouldn't fail within 6 years of regular daily driving.
I'm looking for feedback on how to remedy this situation and if you have nothing to contribute I'll ask you to leave.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 w/ EPS.
Have had to replace ball joints, and recently the RH axle. Monday I took the truck in again for an intermittent clicking when turning left or right that the shop couldnt replicate. Took it back home after the shop couldn't figure it out and said it would be safe to drive the next day.

Started the truck yesterday morning and had no power steering!! Fast forward to this morning I tried again and had steering again. Turned off the truck and restarted it... NO STEERING! Called my local dealership Anderson Motors and they want me to bring it in to replace the rack and pinion. An almost $3000 piece... on A 6 YEAR OLD TRUCK?! Absolutely ridiculous this is happening. I told them if I bring the truck in they can keep it. The brakes will need to be replaced soon. The LH axle will likely need to be replaced too. I've been told the tie rods will need to be replaced also. Someone made a joke about the front ends falling out of Dodges and I laughed... but now I can agree!
Where is the TSB's? Recalls?
I suspect more and more of these electronic problems will be popping up.
How many miles do you have on your rig ??

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
131,000 k/m
You might try to reset the PSM to see if it will help..

How do I reset my power steering module?

Turn ignition switch OFF, and turn ignition switch ON. The EPS indicator comes on for about 6 seconds. Within 4 seconds of turning the switch ON, while the EPS indicator is on, turn the steering wheel 45° to left from straight ahead driving position, and hold steering wheel in position until EPS indicator goes off.
Also you might
carefully remove the plugs on the servo rack and reseat them again. If it comes back working try some dielectric grease on all connections
Hope this will help

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might try to reset the PSM to see if it will help..

How do I reset my power steering module?

Turn ignition switch OFF, and turn ignition switch ON. The EPS indicator comes on for about 6 seconds. Within 4 seconds of turning the switch ON, while the EPS indicator is on, turn the steering wheel 45° to left from straight ahead driving position, and hold steering wheel in position until EPS indicator goes off.
Also you might
carefully remove the plugs on the servo rack and reseat them again. If it comes back working try some dielectric grease on all connections
Hope this will help
The power steering module reset worked once. Once I shut the truck off it goes back to not working again. Tried resetting it a second and third time and it won't reset.

Last edited:

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
131k k/m your truck is almost ready for a bunch of services. It happens when buying a used truck with that many miles. Your buying someone else's problems.

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
131k k/m your truck is almost ready for a bunch of services. It happens when buying a used truck with that many miles. Your buying someone else's problems.
I have owned the truck since 2018 and have performed regular maintenance. Are you saying I should let it be someone elses problem?

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you're right. These are the worst trucks in the world.
How could the brakes only last 6 years. OMG!
What did you run into that the axle would have to be replaced?
Get rid of your truck and be gone.
View attachment 489951
I'm guessing the axle was replaced due to the design flaw it and the stub shaft in the diff have. Something that should have been addressed along time ago by RAM. Just like the manifolds. Just like the cams lifters and followers. Just like the fuel sensors. Just like the internal fuel pump relay in the TIPM. The worst part about Ram is they never do anything to address production flaws. My trucks model and year have 7 recalls but not a single TSB.

As a tech I can 100 percent emphasize with OP. We have a couple trucks that come thru our shop and the owners say the same thing: most money I've ever spent maintaining a vehicle.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s an issue that is probably going to show it’s head across a lot of brands. Toyota included. The tundras have electronic racks and some are locking or failing same as rams. Without cause. But that’s electronics for you

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
See this thread where I've provided some 'tips':

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See this thread where I've provided some 'tips':

Your post is very informative, thank you! No luck with any of the fixes so far.

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm guessing the axle was replaced due to the design flaw it and the stub shaft in the diff have. Something that should have been addressed along time ago by RAM. Just like the manifolds. Just like the cams lifters and followers. Just like the fuel sensors. Just like the internal fuel pump relay in the TIPM. The worst part about Ram is they never do anything to address production flaws. My trucks model and year have 7 recalls but not a single TSB.

As a tech I can 100 percent emphasize with OP. We have a couple trucks that come thru our shop and the owners say the same thing: most money I've ever spent maintaining a vehicle.
Thank you for your understanding! I had my fuel pump replaced after owning it for 2 years.

I'm not asking for much... there are many issues that just shouldn't happen and most people just say "suck it up" and don't hold brands accountable.

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Those problems with the front end on Ram trucks are on the bigger trucks with the diesels, 2500, 3500. I owned my 2010 1500 Laramie for 8 years (bought it in 2014), had both front cv axles replaced and a bearing in the rear end, replaced the brakes once, replaced the transfer case, shift solenoid in the transmission, exhaust manifold bolts twice on the passenger side (replaced the manifold) and twice on the drivers side and the steering rack on it had a very small leak that never got any worse so I left it. Even with all that stuff breaking I loved that truck and hated to sell it but it was time for something newer.

You've got a truck that's going on 7 years old and to think stuff isn't going to break just isn't realistic.

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those problems with the front end on Ram trucks are on the bigger trucks with the diesels, 2500, 3500. I owned my 2010 1500 Laramie for 8 years (bought it in 2014), had both front cv axles replaced and a bearing in the rear end, replaced the brakes once, replaced the transfer case, shift solenoid in the transmission, exhaust manifold bolts twice on the passenger side (replaced the manifold) and twice on the drivers side and the steering rack on it had a very small leak that never got any worse so I left it. Even with all that stuff breaking I loved that truck and hated to sell it but it was time for something newer.

You've got a truck that's going on 7 years old and to think stuff isn't going to break just isn't realistic.
I understand things are going to need repairing but It's especially tough to drop major $$$ when my last vehicle I owned for over 11 years (14 years old when I got the truck) only had one major repair (wheel bearing) and is still going.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
There must be some changes to the EPS unit between 2013 and current Ram 1500 classics.

Rockauto doesn't have any replacements in stock for a 2015. They only offer a you a service, where send your inop unit to them, then cardone rebuilds it and ships it back to you.

But if you search a 2018 Ram 1500, aftermarket EPS units are available for $800.

Either which way, nothing is cheap these days when your vehicle needs fixing. $2-3K isn't out of the ordinary for a somewhat routine repair.

Hammur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
purchased a 21 ram warlock it now has 10,000 miles on it had it exactly a year. So far nock on wood so good. Traded in a Chevy trail boss for it . It had 8000 miles on it and transmission replaced twice. Hopefully made a good choice. All I see lately is all the problems with these trucks. Hopefully I didn’t make bad choice on going back to ram.