Navigation Maps Update Canadian Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A friend of mine recently purchased a 2017 Ram 1500.

They are planning a trip to Florida and they are trying to update the Navigation maps on their Uconnect radio. They have already purchased the maps for it but they are having a hard time getting it to update. I believe its a package that came with a USB stick. They followed all the steps correctly and when they put the USB drive into the USB port, no update or pop up displays on the radio.

I believe its because the Software version isn't updated to the newest firmware available that is causing this issue. Although when you enter the VIN on the Uconnect software update page, it says the vehicle is fully up to date already.

They are running version 16.21.19. I Believe they need to be on either 17.43.01 or 18.45.01 If I understand correctly.

The issues I believe is that this truck is from Canada and it's causing problems.

Is their any way they can still update their map package on it?

I found a few software update files on this site for 2017 trucks. One was 17.43.01 for 2017 trucks ending in NAFTA (UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY17_NAFTA)
Also found a 17.11.07 firmware file for 2017 Trucks but its not part of the NAFTA. (UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.11.07_MY17).

I was told if I flash the wrong firmware to this truck that I would brick it and the radio would no longer work at all.

Which file would I try flashing to update the radio and see if I can get the maps put on that way? Not sure which version is meant for Canadian Ram vehicles.

If I flash the NAFTA file, which I'm assuming is meant for Canadian trucks, would that fix the issue, or brick my radio?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
A friend of mine recently purchased a 2017 Ram 1500.

They are planning a trip to Florida and they are trying to update the Navigation maps on their Uconnect radio. They have already purchased the maps for it but they are having a hard time getting it to update. I believe its a package that came with a USB stick. They followed all the steps correctly and when they put the USB drive into the USB port, no update or pop up displays on the radio.

I believe its because the Software version isn't updated to the newest firmware available that is causing this issue. Although when you enter the VIN on the Uconnect software update page, it says the vehicle is fully up to date already.

They are running version 16.21.19. I Believe they need to be on either 17.43.01 or 18.45.01 If I understand correctly.

The issues I believe is that this truck is from Canada and it's causing problems.

Is their any way they can still update their map package on it?

I found a few software update files on this site for 2017 trucks. One was 17.43.01 for 2017 trucks ending in NAFTA (UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY17_NAFTA)
Also found a 17.11.07 firmware file for 2017 Trucks but its not part of the NAFTA. (UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.11.07_MY17).

I was told if I flash the wrong firmware to this truck that I would brick it and the radio would no longer work at all.

Which file would I try flashing to update the radio and see if I can get the maps put on that way? Not sure which version is meant for Canadian Ram vehicles.

If I flash the NAFTA file, which I'm assuming is meant for Canadian trucks, would that fix the issue, or brick my radio?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
@Lurker55 may be able to help. Try sending him a PM with the VIN for the vehicle that needs updating.

jljbtm

Reaction score
I HAVE A 2019 CANADIAN TRUCK AND WANT TO UPDATE THE SOFTWARE TOO ARE YOU SAYING ITS NOT RECOMMENDED?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I HAVE A 2019 CANADIAN TRUCK AND WANT TO UPDATE THE SOFTWARE TOO ARE YOU SAYING ITS NOT RECOMMENDED?
Generally no, it's not worth it. In your case you can plug in your phone and have free, always up to date maps using Android Auto or Apple Carplay.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am almost positive that VP4 means USA & Canada

radio updates

When you decide to update the Navigation Maps
always wait at least 3 years

Like a 2017 Ram map would be OK to update

A 2018 would possibly be worth updating, check the timing of the last update

2019 Ram map update would likely have the exact same Highway Maps as the newest maps
some areas where they added a new development or moved the address of the local coffee shop may be changed

I always call the map company & ask when the current maps were released & if another revision is about to come out

D-RAM-IT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Anyone know where to find UCQ update files I'm on 22.6 would like to move up to 39.6 but being a canadian uconnect I need the canadian files

ABred

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Generally no, it's not worth it. In your case you can plug in your phone and have free, always up to date maps using Android Auto or Apple Carplay.
I am glad I read this. I just bought a 2019 Dodge Ram Sport, which is only available in Canada (I bought it in here in NY). I have been trying to use the voice command to find addresses which turns up absolutely nothing and is so frustrating. I went to the uconnect site and found how to check what version software was installed (and a lot more about the software and hardware in the system - 12" display). This is where I found out what I already knew, which was the software was the Canadian version of the software. I was hoping or was going to see about uploading the US version software that I found on the Website, however would rather the dealership to do it. -- Now not so sure I am going to do this at all (if I am wrong and can do it please someone post here and let me know that it can be done without parts or new firmware). -- In addition I have found that if I do a manual search for the streets also were not being found ---- Then I read about another way to do the search - basically go into maps, go to the bottom hit other types of search, pick USA, The state and pick - the whole state instead of just the city, then pick your city, and street and number - boom every time maps got me to my location and was able to plot the course. So a little clumsy but it got the job done --- and I can also just plug my phone in and use the Carplay to use maps on my phone. -