Need a favor from 2018 8.4 nav trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Ok here is the little project im taking on.

My truck is a 2015 with alpine system. I want to upgrade the 3G phone that's attached to the rearview mirror and replace it the 2018 4G version.

What I need to see is the system settings.

In the pic below is the ID# to my 3G modem in the truck. "ESN" 3G ESN numbers for phones usually start with A1000xxxxx like you see mine.

I need to know if the 2018HU part# is the same or not. Second part I need to figure out is if the 4G modem is indeed compatible and if AT&T locks the device so it can only need used on their network. If the modem can be given a SIM card and its unlocked then I can complete my project.

Anyone else out there thought about doing something like this? 20181129_135854.jpg

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
To the best of my knowledge, the cellular phone component is inside the radio itself, it's not in the mirror. The mirror just has the buttons and, depending on year, the microphones.

-K

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
^yeah. There is no external cellular modem or module. It’s the radio. The 2018 radios are completely different and made by a different manufacturer.

OP
OP
RedSRT4Me

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
^yeah. There is no external cellular modem or module. It’s the radio. The 2018 radios are completely different and made by a different manufacturer.

Do either of you two have an 18 that can provide me the info I'm looking for?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Do either of you two have an 18 that can provide me the info I'm looking for?

I don't have a 2018, but I can tell you that the HU # on your screenshot is the part number for the radio itself, not the cellular module and it is different for every year truck.

The 2013-2017 radios were made by Harman/Becker, the 2018 radios are made by Panasonic.

They all run software by UConnect, although the software is slightly different for each year (mostly internally, each needs a different firmware package to update it) and somewhat more radically different for the 2018 radios as they have several new features.

While any 4th Gen year radio can be used, for the most part, in any 4th Gen year truck, the internal components are often different. (I personally have a 2016 radio in my 2014 truck).

I do not believe that you would be able to swap the cellular module between a Harman made radio and a Panasonic made radio. What you CAN do, is purchase a 2018 radio, commonly referred to as a UAQ radio after it's option sales code and swap it into your truck. See the thread linked below for details.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-install-a-2018-4c-uaq-uas-radio-in-2013-2017-ram.116140/

-K

OP
OP
RedSRT4Me

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I don't have a 2018, but I can tell you that the HU # on your screenshot is the part number for the radio itself, not the cellular module and it is different for every year truck.

The 2013-2017 radios were made by Harman/Becker, the 2018 radios are made by Panasonic.

They all run software by UConnect, although the software is slightly different for each year (mostly internally, each needs a different firmware package to update it) and somewhat more radically different for the 2018 radios as they have several new features.

While any 4th Gen year radio can be used, for the most part, in any 4th Gen year truck, the internal components are often different. (I personally have a 2016 radio in my 2014 truck).

I do not believe that you would be able to swap the cellular module between a Harman made radio and a Panasonic made radio. What you CAN do, is purchase a 2018 radio, commonly referred to as a UAQ radio after it's option sales code and swap it into your truck. See the thread linked below for details.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-install-a-2018-4c-uaq-uas-radio-in-2013-2017-ram.116140/

-K
Correct. I gave info on the HU's part#

Now look where it says ESN. The Cell's IMEI or in this case ESN is the device doing the calling.
It starts with A1000

The ICCID is also posted but probably cannot be changed due to the device being locked.

I really don't think the modem is in the HU for this simple reason. Cell signal strength works off line of sight. If you put the device into the HU it's being blocked.

If I had a guess it's hiding here.
20181130_085452.jpg

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I really don't think the modem is in the HU for this simple reason. Cell signal strength works off line of sight. If you put the device into the HU it's being blocked.

View attachment 147867

No, it is in the head unit. The antenna is part of the shark fin type antenna on the roof. The flat part of that antenna is the GPS and XM radio antenna and the fin part is the cellular antenna.

-K

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Everything @kad said is correct about the cell modem being in the radio & differences b/w the 13-17 vs 18.

M² Mods.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No, it is in the head unit. The antenna is part of the shark fin type antenna on the roof. The flat part of that antenna is the GPS and XM radio antenna and the fin part is the cellular antenna.

-K

So my question on this is, I finally got a good UAQ that works in my 2018 thanks to Mpgrimm2 and I'm going to have the headliner down / out for something I'm doing with Deereguy. If I want to add AT&T cell to my radio do I need anything more than swap the puck for a sharkfin and get the correct cable to the radio and activate service?

OP
OP
RedSRT4Me

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
So my question on this is, I finally got a good UAQ that works in my 2018 thanks to Mpgrimm2 and I'm going to have the headliner down / out for something I'm doing with Deereguy. If I want to add AT&T cell to my radio do I need anything more than swap the puck for a sharkfin and get the correct cable to the radio and activate service?

If I may what happen to your HU?

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If I may what happen to your HU?

Nothing happened to my HU, the truck came with a non BT 3.0 and I upgraded with the wonderful wiring harness from Mpgrimm2 and technical advise from et todd, to a UAQ. The only problem I had was I first purchased a defective UAS on eBay and returned it to the seller.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

That should do it. Hopefully they will let to activate the hotspot even though it's not a factory radio. Let us know how it goes.

M² Mods.

hablox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct. I gave info on the HU's part#

Now look where it says ESN. The Cell's IMEI or in this case ESN is the device doing the calling.
It starts with A1000

The ICCID is also posted but probably cannot be changed due to the device being locked.

View attachment 147867

So what is this thing? I've been trying to figure that out....

OP
OP
RedSRT4Me

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
So what is this thing? I've been trying to figure that out....

Its a built in cell phone in your truck. If you go into the system settings you can find the phone number to it.

Not sure about the other options but the 8.4 HU's have them built in. You can get a subscription for the service through uconnect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93