Need advice pls... Trade in 2017 1500 Sport 6’4 bed for 2016 Sport 5’7 bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really prefer the short bed I guess which is why I have never had a long bed in at least 2 dozen trucks. That said I would not go that far backwards to get one though . I'd keep shopping . I prefer both short cab and bed plus the biggest motor for the best HP to weight ratio and lowest gears out of the box . Happy shopping

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really prefer the short bed I guess which is why I have never had a long bed in at least 2 dozen trucks. That said I would not go that far backwards to get one though . I'd keep shopping . I prefer both short cab and bed plus the biggest motor for the best HP to weight ratio and lowest gears out of the box . Happy shopping
I absolutely agree on the short bed, I think long beds on a crew cab truck look kinda goofy....

DirtyWipers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bells and whistles are some of the biggest trouble makers when they start to age...If you plan to keep it for a decade or so, I'd stay towards the simple side.

OP
OP
condor767

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I really appreciate all the replies. Some great intel out there.

I finally figured out my bottom line. I love my truck.. already personalized it. In the end the short bed does look sportier but I think it looks too short with the full crew cab. I think what I have is perfectly proportionate. 21,500 miles on it, runs great, already out in HID headlights and LED fogs, the Truxedo bed cover, and Ionic Voyager running boards.

The 6’4 bed has served me well, already hauled a bunch of old deck wood that just barely fit... woulda been interesting with the 5’7 bed!

So thanks all for helping me make my decision.

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will say, after seeing a 1500 Crew Cab with 6’4” bed...I kinda got bed envy :D. Not sure if the Copperhead Sport came with a 6’4” bed option, but had I known a year ago what I do now, that’s what I would’ve looked for.

I really appreciate all the replies. Some great intel out there.

I finally figured out my bottom line. I love my truck.. already personalized it. In the end the short bed does look sportier but I think it looks too short with the full crew cab. I think what I have is perfectly proportionate. 21,500 miles on it, runs great, already out in HID headlights and LED fogs, the Truxedo bed cover, and Ionic Voyager running boards.

The 6’4 bed has served me well, already hauled a bunch of old deck wood that just barely fit... woulda been interesting with the 5’7 bed!

So thanks all for helping me make my decision.

Nick Redmond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Besides for the sunroof all of the other stuff can be added dual climate is very capable
They make kits it to add keyless go
If you want a 8.4 inch screen with the Apple CarPlay that can be done
When you make a trade like that
You’re losing big in the end

Exactly! And as for the longer bed I wish I had the longer bed! I’ve got the 5.7 bed and with a toolbox it’s tight pulling a gooseneck and you can forget a 5th wheel With a toolbox in.

MrDion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was looking at traiding my 2016 with 17000 miles for a new better equipped model. I realized I can save big by just adding the things I wanted and letting go of the ones that can't be added due to cost i.e. power seats.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Thanks all. Was leaning towards keeping my ride but as was mentioned above.. sometimes those voices in the head don’t stop yapping.

Appreciate the good advice!

Keeping my sweet ride
great looking truck ya me to0 58,00 but pass on it for i just add something every year cheaper and more fun !

slag009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best option is keep what you have and do the upgrades.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FPrice

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I do not think that I would go backwards on a trade (older vehicle, more miles) UNLESS there was something on the older vehicle I REALLY NEEDED/WANTED.

I would suggest that you do what I did (inadvertantly). Look for a gently used lease turn-in that is what you want. I just happened to be at a Dodge dealer when they had such a vehicle come in. A 2017 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7L Hemi BigHorn with 33,775 miles on it. Put money on it within an hour of seeing it. Still has 2,000 miles/7 months warranty left. I am going to baby it to avoid going over the mileage before the time runs out.

You should take your time and look for something that is a step up, not back.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would just keep looking :Get him!:... but that is a nice one..

snowman3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Still has 2,000 miles/7 months warranty left. I am going to baby it to avoid going over the mileage before the time runs out.
Goodness! Don't you plan on driving it? I've had mine for 4 months to the day, and am nearly due for my first oil change (10,000 mi on the 3.6) :rotflmao: