Need HONEST/1st HAND Towing advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As mentioned above and we all know payload can be the boogie man.

Our trailer weighs 6100 lbs empty.
The "war department" and I travel with Stella the 85 lb Rottie. Fully loaded the trailer weighs only an additional 400 lbs with another 150 lbs on the hitch. I keep the truck empty. I have gone to the CAT scales several times to verify this.

My point? If your traveling with kids and bicycles and generator and other toys and stuff. You are in a different range. You will be very surprised by how much stuff you will eventually pile into your camper. And by you, I mean the wife lol. So, yes upgrading is probably a good idea in your case.

Good luck and have fun!

Dr B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have not read all of the replies but I did not see anything on bumper pull trailer length and tow vehicle wheel base. Since I believe you are new to towing as a general rule of thumb, the first 110 inches of wheelbase allow for a 20-foot trailer. For each additional four inches of wheelbase length, you get one foot more in trailer length. You can pull longer trailers than this rule of thumb but it will noticeably harder in windy conditions.

Papamugger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
some interesting advise popping up - you should check out RV.net which is good Sams forum, you can get some good references there. Some one pointed out that your large tire size are not good for towing which is good advise. I tow a 26 ft Airstream with my 2500 cummins,
one thing to keep in mind is longer Travel trailers are more susceptible to sway (over 30 foot) and easier to handle with a one ton truck.
Good luck

4airstreamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
None
The 6.4 gasser tows more weight than the Cummins. The stats show this. Add a good WDH and bags and tow with it. Take it to the scales to determine if the weights are within perimeters. You can always trade up if your not happy.

Adam E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like this explanation:

https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/

Also has an easy to use excel sheet on the site.

GVWR and Payload Calc

My setup is a little different 1500 hemi crew 4in Mopar lift on 35s. RV dealers were telling me I would be fine with a 30 ft 7000lb trailer.

After running the numbers I'm pushing the max with my 25ft 5000lb dry trailer, betting I'm closer to 6000 loaded. Plus I'm adding another 600 to the truck between 5 passengers, gas, WDH, tablet, cords, wife's purse. cooler, snacks, etc..........

Tows fine though I'm also in Florida so the biggest hills I see are bridges going over the intercostal.

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just have to say something here also being in the market for a new truck and wanting to tow a travel trailer.

I currently own a powerful SUV and the people on that car's forum say to buy a 1500 RAM instead if you want to tow. So, I go to the 1500 RAM forum and the people there say to buy a 2500 RAM instead if you want to tow. So, I go here and I see people saying to buy a 3500 RAM if you want to tow. If I go onto the 3500 forum maybe they'll say to buy a tractor-trailer, LOL.

Now, I'm not saying anyone's wrong and I'm sure all of this advice has merits. But the bottom line is that the SUV, the 1500, the 2500, and of course the 3500 can all safely pull trailers within the weight class they were designed for and there are travel trailers in all these vehicle's weight classes. So, as most of us know, it's all about deciding on which travel trailer you want/need and then carefully matching the tow vehicle to the trailer and not the other way around.
Exactly this ^. One can tow with almost any vehicle, and the way to figure out what is right is dependent on which is bought first. If the tow vehicle, then know your manufacturer limits and buy a trailer accordingly. If the type of trailer is the more important consideration and bought first, then use that to decide what vehicle options are available based on towing requirements. At the end of the day, a rig setup is a unique set of data and no one else's information or experience applies exactly.

Terry Nemitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Greetings All, we`re looking at getting a travel trailer in the spring and traveling the country!

What I need is 1st hand info/feedback on what our truck can "realistically tow?"
we have: 2016 Ram 6.4 2500 crew cab, long bed, currently 37in tires/3:73 and Thuren 3in/1in/2.5 King shocks..
I plan to run 4:88 or probably 5:13 gears and should have 5k air lift bags on by spring...

Tow rating for my vin is: 12,460 and 3,130 pay load, total GCWR is: 19,800

Now, here is where I need your help: the trailers I`m researching are bumper pull style 32-36ft at around 10-11,500k dry with around 62ish gal fresh and 80+ gal gray water...

I have no experience what additional weight a loaded trailer weighs, based on actual feedback I`m trying to decided if my truck can realistically tow this heavy of a trailer or would it be more realistic to trade up to a diesel! I have considered a 5th wheel but even the shortest ones I`ve looked at are already near max tow weight dry and have less push-outs, etc...

Thanks in advance and please be honest....Cheers, Rick
Rick, to be honest, those big tires and a lift kit are going to create serious handling problems at highway speeds, not be mention in bad weather, wind especially. As for gears, your 3:73 should be fine, but I would not go any lower than the 4:11. I have a 2016 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed, 3:91 gears & stock 20" tires. I pull 9,000 lbs and can not tell it is back there in Pennsylvania hills. Be cautious that Ram under rates their trucks and trailer manufactures over rate the trucks capacities. Also always keep 10% of your trailer weight on your hitch. It keeps your towing vehicle from swaying and in most states it's the law !!! Hope this helps. Terry.

Terry Nemitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Rick, to be honest, those big tires and a lift kit are going to create serious handling problems at highway speeds, not be mention in bad weather, wind especially. As for gears, your 3:73 should be fine, but I would not go any lower than the 4:11. I have a 2016 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed, 3:91 gears & stock 20" tires. I pull 9,000 lbs and can not tell it is back there in Pennsylvania hills. Be cautious that Ram under rates their trucks and trailer manufactures over rate the trucks capacities. Also always keep 10% of your trailer weight on your hitch. It keeps your towing vehicle from swaying and in most states it's the law !!! Hope this helps. Terry.

John Beauvais

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Diesel
I bought a 2019 ram 2500 with 6.7 diesel last spring and I tow a boat that with trailer ,gear etc is about 10k lbs; Ive been up and back Boston to Florida w]twice most recently with a reproduction concrete cannon in the bed along with other gear -the truck pulls like a beast-the tow rating in 19,800 lbs which i think is an honest capacity .Ram diesel is top in tow ratings.

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don’t have to read to much of this to tell you you won’t enjoy pulling any of those trailers you’re looking at with your truck. I have an 18 6.4 stock everything and it pulls my nearly 9k trailer fine on flat but getting going and long grades are an unbelievable workout, Stability wise it’s awesome though. Add in the 37’s and I wouldn’t even want to drive that truck empty let alone with 10 or 12k, even with a regear. My thoughts are just skip all the stuff you’ll end up doing to your truck now to make towing that heavy of a trailer even bearable and get a one ton srw diesel and be done with it. You’ll end there anyway.

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The 6.4 gasser tows more weight than the Cummins. The stats show this. Add a good WDH and bags and tow with it. Take it to the scales to determine if the weights are within perimeters. You can always trade up if your not happy.

The hemi weighs less and this allows for more cargo weight in the truck.

But for towing, the 6.4 tops off at 16k+/-, the diesel is rated for up to 31k+.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

I am looking at the stats of the 4th gen trucks and not one configuration shows that the 6.4L tows more than the Cummins. Are you talking about hauling?

Hannibal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Greetings All, we`re looking at getting a travel trailer in the spring and traveling the country!

What I need is 1st hand info/feedback on what our truck can "realistically tow?"
we have: 2016 Ram 6.4 2500 crew cab, long bed, currently 37in tires/3:73 and Thuren 3in/1in/2.5 King shocks..
I plan to run 4:88 or probably 5:13 gears and should have 5k air lift bags on by spring...

Now, here is where I need your help: the trailers I`m researching are bumper pull style 32-36ft at around 10-11,500k dry with around 62ish gal fresh and 80+ gal gray water...

I have no experience what additional weight a loaded trailer weighs, based on actual feedback I`m trying to decided if my truck can realistically tow this heavy of a trailer or would it be more realistic to trade up to a diesel! I have considered a 5th wheel but even the shortest ones I`ve looked at are already near max tow weight dry and have less push-outs, etc...

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
6.4 has more cargo capacity because the engine and drivetrain is lighter and both trucks are capped at the same gvw so you can drive them without a commercial license. The diesel has heavier drivetrain to handle the torque, heavier springs etc. It's a much more technically capable truck of handling a load, but they wouldn't sell as many if everybody had to take a commercial test,physical, and fill out log books to legally drive them. When Towing the extra weight and torque make them a lot nicer to tow with and feel more stable with a camper of the same weight as you can max out a gasser with even though you're legally over weight. Heck the f350 has the same axle srw or drw so the only reason for its lower gvw is tire capacity. Not sure on the rams, but it would not surprise me if that was the same situation. I see srw 3500s towing 22k full time as hotshots legally and unmodified. Only mod is a yearly inspection sticker and insurance for higher gvw.

Hannibal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

Hannibal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Most of what needs to be said has been said. I might add that the length of the trailer you are considering is an issue as well. That is a LOT of leverage on the rear of your truck. Hitch setup and trailer loading is critical. The effect of side winds and passing trucks can be very dramatic. A white knuckle drive is far from enjoyable, and can be downright terrifying. It’s not just about having the power to get up the hill.
Consider a fifth wheel. Handling, tracking, sway control and driving comfort are all vastly improved over a bumper pull travel trailer.

OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
I spoke to a long time trustworthy and experienced friend last night (he`s also a professional trucker,) knowing me very well he suggested what many have said:

Either choose a lighter trailer (the ones we had in mind are 10k+ dry) or move up to a 1 ton diesel and or dually, which would not only be a better towing choice but also opens up to more trailer choices!

He also suggested, start by going out and looking at all of the trailer choices and narrowing them down before choosing a tow rig, he favors a goose neck as do I to retain use of the truck bed....

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Understand that while you can't change the GCWR sticker on the truck, if the effective rear end gearing was changed to 4.10, according to ram the GCWR of your truck would be 22,800 instead of 19,800.

That being said, changes in wheels and suspension can dramatically alter the towing/payload of a vehicle.

let us not forget braking. The unsprung weight of those 37’s isn’t going to be helpful when trying to stop or slow at the max of one’s GVW.

John Beauvais

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Diesel
U will be over the trailer weight tow rating; buy a smaller trailer or bigger truck.Ram has the biggest tow capacity in srw pick ups-GM and Ford cant touch them in srw.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
All good advice. Stay within your cargo and trailer weight capacities no matter what. To be safe.

All that aside though, I've learned that... for less stress, you should try to stay as well below the capacities for your truck as you can afford.

My example, although at lower numbers may illustrate. For the last year I've been pulling our 22 foot Grand Design with our 2019 Nissan Frontier, which has maximum tow capacity of 6130 lbs and cargo capacity of 1300 lbs. It's a reliable, fairly powerful moderately sized torquey 6 cylinder crew cab pickup. Stable. Handles like its on rails. The trailer weighs less than 5000 lbs, well below the tow capacity of the truck. It puts only 700 lbs on the weight distributing hitch, which weighs about 80 lbs. Add me, my wife, generator, inflatable kayaks, dog, random stuff, and we are end up at 1,100 or so. Safely under the truck's capacity ratings. The rig handles fine in wind, stops well, doesn't sway, and is considered safe.

HOWEVER: Driving this rig long distance sucks. Awful gas mileage. About 7-8, 10 when going down hill, combined with only 20 gallons of unleaded means a range of less than 200 miles at max. There is only adequate power. You can maintain 60 mph in the hills but you can't use the cruise control. And by hills I mean the hills around upstate NY, not exactly big mountains. It's got 5 gears, one of which must be locked out when towing. It shifts down to 3rd on hills, so it's noisy. And without cruise my foot gets tired, I find that I will vary the speed varies between 50 and 65 unless I concentrate hard on the speedo. So the truck is safe... But that is not enough.

Get a rig that has lots of cushion between the capacity ratings and actual weights. You will enjoy the ride much more.

Last edited: