Need lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
How many miles on the truck? It blows my mind that Ram is able to get away with such a well documented problem. I could understand if this was happening on a 1st gen engine design, but this engine has been in production for over a decade. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no documentation showing that the FCA has made an effort to improve the lifter design/change suppliers since the refresh...wtf!?
There's a few things. Lifters and manifold bolts should be addressed 100%.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Wynn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
How many miles on the truck? It blows my mind that Ram is able to get away with such a well documented problem. I could understand if this was happening on a 1st gen engine design, but this engine has been in production for over a decade. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no documentation showing that the FCA has made an effort to improve the lifter design/change suppliers since the refresh...wtf!?

126k miles

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well I know for a fact that it's not that bad. I can feel the cam lobe and I don't feel anything more than a very very very tiny lip. Is it possible for the lifter to go bad and to get the misfire code but not do damage to the cam that requires replacement? Would the rod being bent and off the rocker effect the damage done to the cam?

I appreciate your help

Cam is *****'d if you feel anything on the lobe.Don't Mickey Mouse it,do the cam and lifters at the same time,otherwise you'll be doing it all over again in a month or 2. The lifter is pitted odds are the cam is to,and you've started to wear through the surface hardening on the lobe.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Cam is *****'d if you feel anything on the lobe.Don't Mickey Mouse it,do the cam and lifters at the same time,otherwise you'll be doing it all over again in a month or 2. The lifter is pitted odds are the cam is to,and you've started to wear through the surface hardening on the lobe.

But, if he did lifters, he wouldn't have to redo them if he had to do the Cam? I don't think the cam with effect new lifters like if you put a new cam but used old damaged lifters. That was my only point, since he is where he is, it is at least possible the cam still have life.

Do the lifters have to be out to get the cam out?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
But, if he did lifters, he wouldn't have to redo them if he had to do the Cam? I don't think the cam with effect new lifters like if you put a new cam but used old damaged lifters. That was my only point, since he is where he is, it is at least possible the cam still have life.

Do the lifters have to be out to get the cam out?

The cam will chew up his new lifters in short order if he can feel a lip on the lobe.He's already wore through the lobes surface hardening if he feels a lip,and odds are if the lifter is pitted the cam will be *****'d to.A pit is basically metal transfer from one surface to another,and if one surface is pitted,there's a very good chance the other surface will be the recipient of that metal transfer. You can remove the cam with-out pulling the lifters,but if he's already got the lifters out,he's removed the heads and it's not all that much more work to pull the cam and install a new one.He can source lifters from Texas Speed /TSP

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The issue i'd be more worried about is what bent his pushrod,did a valve kiss a piston.The cam and lifters need replacing,but he might also want to look the valves and valve springs over really close,as something besides that lifter caused his bent pushrod.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Wynn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Springs were fine and I don't see anything that looks like damage to the piston

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Springs were fine and I don't see anything that looks like damage to the piston

Something bent your pushrod,so i'd start really looking things over close.A bad lifter wheel shouldn't bend a pushrod. Which makes me wonder if you hit a high enough rpm to float the valves.Tip the heads on their sides and pour some liquid into the ports and check to make sure you don't have a bent valve.The liquid will leak past a valve that isn't seating properly.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I know for a fact that it's not that bad. I can feel the cam lobe and I don't feel anything more than a very very very tiny lip. Is it possible for the lifter to go bad and to get the misfire code but not do damage to the cam that requires replacement? Would the rod being bent and off the rocker effect the damage done to the cam?

I appreciate your help
If the cam lobe is down on that cylinder, you need to spin the engine over to actually see the lobe. Had a lifter failure on my 2011 1500 Sport at about 95,000 miles, and judging from the looks of that lifter, the cam lobe is most likely gone. Better to check it now than put it back together and find it out then. I just recently saw an article in Mopar Muscle magazine about a kit to eliminate the MDS. It explains it all very well, and at some point I may do mine. So far I haven't had any issues with the new cam and lifters and I have put about 25,000 miles on it since replacing it.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4

I appreciate your help

Maybe if the stars all aligned, facts are the lifter roller and cam lobe have both been measured around 56-58 Rockwell Hardness. You can do the math on what happens when one of them is fighting the other. Once the needle bearings fail, the roller starts doing oblong circles along with the cam lobe radius and you start to hear the more audible tap/tap/tap constantly until eventually locking up completely(w/ misfire code).

If you have a good ear or place a stethoscope on the valve-cover, can actually hear the short rocker travel if isolated to a single lifter when you start the engine with fuel cut(gas pedal to floor).

*THIS FAILURE IS NOT MDS RELATED, HD 5.7s without cylinder deactivation seize rollers along with hundreds of non-MDS cylinder lock-ups.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the Lifter roller looking like that, because of a soft cam lobe it had left deposits on the lifter roller, now the cam lobe is gone or warn to the point of the push rod having lost travel now there's nothing holding tension on the rocker arm, alas bent push rod, Replace that cam with your new Valve Lifters.

Tadpole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mopar Lifters were on backorder last year when I replaced mine. I bought Melling lifters from Oreillys Autoparts. I was told Melling manufactures the Mopar lifters.

On another note, I would absolutely replace the cam with the lifters. And also figure out what bent the pushrod before spending a dime on any repairs. Good luck!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone think of the 6.4 lifters with the roller pin double in dia?

solidt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just replace the cam, too. working for chrysler over the years, i have sen DIY attempts on the cheap,and with a roller looking like that, there are marks on that cam lobe for sure. just go to comp and get a good set, theyre worth the mney. stock replacements will just wear like the ones you had. they are backordered, and have been for some time from mopar.

comp lifters:
https://www.compcams.com/short-trav...ler-lifter-set-for-chrysler-gen-iii-6-4l.html

they have some great cam options too, if you wanna go ahead and add some power while you're at it :p