need some tricks on installing new springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwardncsu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Doing a front-end rebuild on a 2004 Ram 1500 2WD for my son - new Upper & lower control arm, new brakes, rotors, hubs, etc - and we're installing a 3" Rough Country suspension level - basically new springs & shocks.

Thought I could get the springs compressed by just using a jack on the lower arm, but after a few inches of compression the truck would lift.

I "rented" a spring compression took from Advance Auto - the type with a single screw and two sets of arms that grab the coil - and then my 1st attempt was to use in in-place on the truck, keeping a jack tight to the b bottom of the control arm as well so that if the tool slipped off the spring would be trapped and hopefully not do too much damage.

I tried using the tool with the end that you turn downwards - the problem I've had is keeping the screw end parallel enough so that it will go up through the hole that the shock goes through as I tighten it.

I guess my next attempt is to flip it and come downwards from the top - which looks to be more of a hassle to manipulate - but I'm looking for some help, guidance, advice & tips here. I'm also concerned if this specific tool is sufficient to compress these RC springs which are beefier than the stock ones in place.

thanks in advance....

Link to tool being used...
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...pring-compressor-kit-5-piece-648603/9150042-P

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would loosen your control arms disconnect your sway bar. Lift the truck from the frame to get the axel to drop as far as you can. You may need to have someone stand on the end of the axel to help getting the new spring in. This should help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
M

mwardncsu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got the factory spring out - issue is with the new one back in. I replaced the upper and lower control arms (and the outer tie arm end) - so the frame that the wheel bearing bolts to was also removed. At present I had that disconnected - and with the new spring in place I could not get the lower control arm up far enough so that I could reattach the upper control arm to the frame for the wheel.

It dawned on me watching some things tonight the normally you don't take all that off - perhaps I need to pull the new spring out, reattach the frame for the wheel back to the upper & lower control arms, and then drop that assembly and insert the new spring, then jack up and attach the sway bar linkage and tie arm

Last edited:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yes like homeguy said, you want all the weight off of the spring so that the tool doesn’t have to compress as much. Do that for removal and install and you’ll be good, the spring compressor works better if you have an impact but not necessary. Just be cautious and compress each side evenly, they are super dangerous if popped.

OP
OP
M

mwardncsu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yeah, I've got the spring out no problem - it's getting it back in - I've been fighting the spring compressor that has a single screw and two sets of arms - the problem I've had is getting the screw shaft to come up through the hole for the shock on the top - that and perhaps I just don't trust the tool - debating if I should go get one used for struts with the two pairs - but those seem more prone to slipping off as well.

I guess you have to have the upper control arm disconnected from the Frame for the wheel bearing - but right now I'm a good 4" or more from getting the frame back to the upper ball joint shaft to reattach - and as I jack it up the truck lifts at that point..... guess I just need to compress on that spring a bit more.

Maybe the morning will bring new light.... :)

OP
OP
M

mwardncsu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Managed to get it back together - loosened the upper control arm and was able to get it reattached to the A frame - it is a fair bit lower than it was originally but I guess that makes sense given the change in geometry now - hopefully it will still allow necessary alignment adjustment. I was not able to get the sway bar tie arm back in at least until after putting the wheel back on the truck and dropping it back down - forgot to go back and check that so will be doing so after lunch

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr