Need to rent a car hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I may need to rent a car hauler trailer. U-Haul and Penske are no-go's as the vehicle being hauled is too wide and heavy for their trailers (Nissan Armada, 5800lbs). Need to have all 4 tires off the ground, so a tow dolly would not work. Weight also rules out tow dollys.

So wondering if anyone has any ideas about other rental equipment dealers that might have heavier duty haulers? Has to be a bumper pull, my 2500 CTD is not setup for 5th wheels.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have seen Ford Excursions on U-Haul car haulers. They only JUST fit, and those were the biggest SUVs built (far bigger and heavier than this Armada). You just have to not tell U-Haul the complete truth.

You would have to find a heavy equipment rental place near you and see if they rent out just trailers. Obviously not someplace Home Depot, but an actual equipment rental place. No clue what is in your area, you'll need to go to something like Google and search 'equipment rental near me.' Don't forget that you'll need heavy duty equipment straps to secure it, not your run-of-the-mill ratchet straps but the nice big wide ones used by truckers work great for securing a car.

That said, if you have a locking steering column and a 4x4 selector switch (NOT AWD), you could BACK it onto a car dolly and pull it that way. It isn't the safest, but if you aren't going far and keep speeds down it can be done.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I own a car dolly, a Kar Kaddy, but won't pull it with that. First, I don't want to haul it empty 3.5 hours down the interstate to where the truck is sitting. Bouncy as heck when doing that. Also, I need the front tires off the ground for sure, so can't put it on backwards. Wife took it down a guardrail to avoid a deer. 2021-10-09 10.46.07.jpg
2021-10-09 10.47.56.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have a close friend that put a class 4 hitch on his chevy tahoe, an old funky tahoe at that. He tows a monster trailer and his mini x behind it, az grabbing 10k pounds. You can tow with your truck with a class 4 hitch, but I can't help you with the rental thing, good luck.

Didnt your truck come with a class 4 under it?

JC4041

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a close friend that put a class 4 hitch on his chevy tahoe, an old funky tahoe at that. He tows a monster trailer and his mini x behind it, az grabbing 10k pounds. You can tow with your truck with a class 4 hitch, but I can't help you with the rental thing, good luck.

Didnt your truck come with a class 4 under it?

The class 4 or 5 is considered a "bumper pull", he simply stated it had to be as he has no 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The class 4 or 5 is considered a "bumper pull", he simply stated it had to be as he has no 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch.
True that, I mis read it.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
U-Haul auto transport trailers are car trailers that are ideal for long-distance moves and have a maximum load towing capacity of 5,290 lbs. Our auto transport trailers are equipped with an easy-access loading ramp, security chains and ratchet-operated tire straps to transport your car safely and securely with ease.

https://www.rivervalleyrentalandsales.com/rental-equipment/trailers Arkansas

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks guys, I appreciate the links. I'll check them out tomorrow.

The U-Haul option won't work, the Armada is over weight for it, so I won't be doing that. Want to keep this pull legal.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you can't find another trailer, you can pretty easily shed 500#'s off the Armada to keep you under the u-haul limit. Throw the stuff in the back of the truck. Think spare tire, 2nd row seats, 3rd row seats, battery, tire jack, all easily out with simple hand tools.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Great idea, but none of the 3 rows of seats are removable. The 3rd row electrically folds down to make a flat floor, and would be very difficult to remove. Taking the battery and spare tire out would not put me below the weight.

UHaul also said the truck was too wide for their trailer. It's the Platinum edition, which comes with wider tires.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Usually insurance policies have wrecker service. Have you checked with them on hauling it home and paying the difference.

By the time you invest in a HD rental trailer and other necessary equipment the cost could be a wash.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Usually insurance policies have wrecker service. Have you checked with them on hauling it home and paying the difference.

By the time you invest in a HD rental trailer and other necessary equipment the cost could be a wash.
This is also true. They usually cover the first 50 or so miles, then you're on the hook for the rest. Even when I had a breakdown (not insurance-covered) having my truck towed wasn't too bad, and that was for my non-dually F350.

And to the OP, if you think the Armada is wide, an Excursion I will almost guarantee is wider. Those things are a behemoth. I do understand about wanting to keep things legal though. Good luck.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is also true. They usually cover the first 50 or so miles, then you're on the hook for the rest. Even when I had a breakdown (not insurance-covered) having my truck towed wasn't too bad, and that was for my non-dually F350.

And to the OP, if you think the Armada is wide, an Excursion I will almost guarantee is wider. Those things are a behemoth. I do understand about wanting to keep things legal though. Good luck.
The insurance company already towed it once, from the interstate to the body shop. They are checking to see if they'll pay to have it towed someplace local to us, but I'm not holding out too much hope.

Bought a new Excursion Limited back in 03. Lemon lawed it because of the then brand new 6.0 PoSD. Looks like the Excursion is an inch wider, but you're right, it has to be a legal pull.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jejb, if the front suspension is NOT bent, throw a tire on that thing and get a move on !!!!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Last edited:
OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Jejb, if the front suspension is NOT bent, throw a tire on that thing and get a move on !!!!
I thought about that, but there is suspension damage. Cable apparently cut a large groove in the transfer case, amongst other undercarriage damage.

I will not be needing a trailer, but I really appreciate the responses. It is being totaled. Sent my body shop guy here some pictures and videos and he told me to let it go. Now it's just a matter of dickering over what they value it at. It was showroom ready, very pristine condition. 2012 Platinum we bought new, 83k on it.

Here's a picture of it on the cables. Note the one under the truck. It took her about 100 yards to come to a stop.
6892641331848868068.jpg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yikes. Glad no one was hurt.

Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Once needed to move a car from California to Texas. U-Haul was short of car trailers and wanted $1200 to rent trailer. Craigslist provided a low boy trailer with 8,000 weight capacity for $1,800. It had decent tires and brakes, paint and boards were fair. Harbor Freight had straps to anchor car. I bought it, towed car to Texas and sold trailer for $1700 a week after I bought it. Total cost was $100. You may want to look into buying a used trailer. The only problem I had was the trailer had an angle iron rail around it that kept you from opening the car door more than an inch or two. After the driver climbed out of window had to use a stick to roll up the window.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I used a U-haul auto transporter to haul my scout back from Seattle area. Best towing trailer ever.