New 1500 Rebel getting delivered next week with 5.7 Hemi - advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ViperRich

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 1500 Rebel G/T Night Edition
Engine
Hemi. 5.7 eTorque
Am I ok to do a 750mi road trip right away, or is there a break-in period needed? How soon do I change the oil after the trip, and what should I put in it for oil?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From your manual:
1677696783588.png

I don't know that I would jump right in to a trip of that distance unless necessary, constant engine speeds during break in are usually not recommended, which is what most road trips have large chunks of.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@ViperRich get in and enjoy the new truck while you cruise down the freeway. If the freeway has rolling hills, don't worry about varying the speed, if the roads are all flat then make a few changes with the cruise control to vary the speed.
I don't buy too much into the owners manual "break in" routine. I've seen lots of fleet vehicles(half ton and HD) loaded up and beaten like a rented mule from day one that have gone well into the 200K miles.
There's been a few members on this forum that have picked up sizeable fifth wheel trailers with a brand new truck and towed them thousands of miles with no issues and still counting.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The only thing I have done is keep the speed under 60 MPH for the first 100 miles then I Drive it like I normally would if it had 10K on it, but I do try to not go over 80 for the first 1500 miles, as for oil that is up to you but I do strongly recommend using full synthetic oil & a quality oil filter, not cheap China Junk one from Big Lots...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My wife was the one to drive my truck home from the dealer,and she never drove under 80 mph on the 200 mile trip home,i couldn't keep up with her in my company vehicle,lol. The first day she had her 1320 Challenger she wound it up to 140 mph,i would never have known if the car didn't store the top speed in the cluster,neither incident has seemed to affect either vehicle,lol.I wouldn't reconmend doing what she did,but i also wouldn't worry about a 700 mile trip with a new vehicle ,just stay at the speed limit with some pedal variation for the first couple hundred miles,then after that drive it like you stole it,it'll live longer if you drive it aggressively every once inawhile