New dash replacement - OEM part numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JellyBeanFTW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Hey all!

I am currently waiting on parts for a heater core job on my '02 1500. Since I've got the dash completely out, I've decided to replace anything that's broken with OEM. It's expensive. But a little peace of mind and comfort for me go a long way (don't judge;)). Anyway, the original part number, best I can tell, for the complete dash - "Panel, Instrument Upper" - is WL86XDVAA. That part number has been replaced with WL86XDVAC which is what I ordered NOS through eBay.

My question is - the older part number that originally came with the truck was obviously faulty across the nation with so many cracked and breaking dashes. Does anyone here know if the new part number was an improvement in materials? Or just a cataloguing re-organization?

I'd like to avoid having to cover the new dash with carpet to protect it. But if it's going to turn into the same brittle mess as the original, I'd rather keep it in one piece until the rest of the truck falls apart.

I'm also adding two 3.5" speakers in the dash (where the optional Infinity system is) for a bit of mid/treble action so we'll see how that goes!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The last character is any Mopar part number is the evolution of the part. The p/n would've been the same from 2002 to 2005 but by mid/end 2004 as they changed the plastic supplier/formula/whatever the last character would've changed to reflect the difference, even though they would be considered completely interchangeable. The later ones hold up alot better, took over 100k miles for the original in my 03 to crack and I replaced it with a used late 04 dash. Still going, even after I hacked up the bottom of it lol.

OP
OP
JellyBeanFTW

JellyBeanFTW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I appreciate the reply and the new knowledge!! That definitely brings me some peace of mind. Hopefully my new blend doors (also new part numbers) will hold up better too. :happy107: