New fan clutch never disengage, problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just return it and put the old one back on...
I applaud that you're 'trying to do the right thing'

Similar to, but just like wheeling out the parts canon when troubleshooting a malfunction, replacing a bunch of airworthy genuine factory parts with new chinesium is never a good plan.

Merica!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just return it and put the old one back on...
I applaud that you're 'trying to do the right thing'

Similar to, but just like wheeling out the parts canon when troubleshooting a malfunction, replacing a bunch of airworthy genuine factory parts with new chinesium is never a good plan.

Merica!
.........and not only does the beat go on; it has gotten worse! I'm currently replacing the engine, transmission, A/C compressor and flywheel, heater hoses, starter, water pump, belts, tensioners on a 2006 GMC Sierra. (This truck, while immaculate inside and out, wasn't well maintained by it's original owner... 197,000 miles on it) The stark differences between new OE parts as opposed to those made either in Mexico or China from aftermarket sources has widened the gap in quality right out of the box. I put SIX starters to get a good one. 3 Different sources too. ALL garbage! I even disassembled one of those starters out of frustration, and it is gut-wrenching sickening the piso-poor workmanship and lack of quality in aftermarket trash.

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
.........and not only does the beat go on; it has gotten worse! I'm currently replacing the engine, transmission, A/C compressor and flywheel, heater hoses, starter, water pump, belts, tensioners on a 2006 GMC Sierra. (This truck, while immaculate inside and out, wasn't well maintained by it's original owner... 197,000 miles on it) The stark differences between new OE parts as opposed to those made either in Mexico or China from aftermarket sources has widened the gap in quality right out of the box. I put SIX starters to get a good one. 3 Different sources too. ALL garbage! I even disassembled one of those starters out of frustration, and it is gut-wrenching sickening the piso-poor workmanship and lack of quality in aftermarket trash.
Are all non-OE parts made in other contries and have poor quality?... Ref to rockauto...

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are all non-OE parts made in other contries and have poor quality?... Ref to rockauto...
Rock Auto really crapped on me some years ago involving an expensive domestic part at the level of a warranty claim. Not only will I never trade with them again, but I'm sure to let others know to be careful of internet ordering/ warranty claims.

I did order many OE gaskets for this engine long block to insure the quality of my project. The factory exhaust gaskets, factory new exhaust bolts, factory oil pan and water pump gaskets.... factory heater hoses (Wow! were those expensive). OE belts and tensioners too.

Jasper supplied the transmission, and there have been a few problems. They have been stellar about helping me with them and reimbursing my time. I've used Jasper numerous times over the past 25 or so years and never had a problem with them. They've always treated me like I want to be treated and DO treat my customers.

Last edited:

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The old clutch spins freely by hand with some effort (friction) so its not stuck, but it also seems to be spinning at the same rpm regardless of engine acceleration. So with the old clutch there is no excessive noise/sound, you cant hear the fan while driving at all. But it spins...
That is normal operation. It will turn due to the clutches viscous friction until it heats up and then it locks up (thermal)

Once it has drawn enough air through to cool everything down again, it will unlock and go back to fuel efficient mode.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey!

Just installed a new fan clutch (with old fan blade) with the new water pump for my 1500 5.7, 2008, and it sounds like a roaring jet engine all the time. Never disengages, just follows the engines RPM.

Now, I've read all I can find out about this, and gotten different answers, all from "new fan clutch may" be bad to "it's supposed to behave like that". Maybe you all pro's here can give me some input.

The old fan rotated freely by hand and seemed to be working when driving, I never saw it disengage either but it never sounded like this.
Is the new fan clutch just spinning faster somehow? If the old didnt follow the engines rpm?

The sound is roaring and follows the RPM whenever and whereever I'm driving. Gets quieter when cruising at 50 mph and low RPM but whenever I gear down and acc the sound goes up.

The clutch is US MOTOR WORKS MCK1090 from Rockauto

Thanks for any answers.
When so
Hey!

Just installed a new fan clutch (with old fan blade) with the new water pump for my 1500 5.7, 2008, and it sounds like a roaring jet engine all the time. Never disengages, just follows the engines RPM.

Now, I've read all I can find out about this, and gotten different answers, all from "new fan clutch may" be bad to "it's supposed to behave like that". Maybe you all pro's here can give me some input.

The old fan rotated freely by hand and seemed to be working when driving, I never saw it disengage either but it never sounded like this.
Is the new fan clutch just spinning faster somehow? If the old didnt follow the engines rpm?

The sound is roaring and follows the RPM whenever and whereever I'm driving. Gets quieter when cruising at 50 mph and low RPM but whenever I gear down and acc the sound goes up.

The clutch is US MOTOR WORKS MCK1090 from Rockauto

Thanks for any answers.
When I purchased my new Durango the fan noise was terribly loud also. The dealer said it had a defective clutch and replaced it. Then the fan was very quiet.