New motor recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, my 2013 5.7 hemi has a rounded cam lobe. What are your thoughts? Install a new cam and lifters or a whole new engine? The old one has 134,000 miles and was running great until this issue started. #7 misfire code. New plugs and coil didn't fix. If a new engine is installed we're looking at a $12,500 bill! I can order a long block for about $4000+ and pay install labor. Or a new cam and lifters for about $1000 in parts and I do the install myself. But I am still running an aging engine that has an oil issue that starved the cam lobe. What say you all?
If you are going with a cam and lifters, change the oi pump as well. also check the oil galleries for sludge. If it has any buildup of sludge, clean the oil galleries. I've seen a buildup on a couple of engines now. I would not do a cam replacement with the engine in the truck rather out on a stand where it can be properly worked on.

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
Well, my 2013 5.7 hemi has a rounded cam lobe. What are your thoughts? Install a new cam and lifters or a whole new engine? The old one has 134,000 miles and was running great until this issue started. #7 misfire code. New plugs and coil didn't fix. If a new engine is installed we're looking at a $12,500 bill! I can order a long block for about $4000+ and pay install labor. Or a new cam and lifters for about $1000 in parts and I do the install myself. But I am still running an aging engine that has an oil issue that starved the cam lobe. What say you all?
Who told you the cam lobe was worn? Just courious.

If true, installing a new cam and lifters is not going to last very long unless you find out WHY the lobe wore down. Ooiling issue on....one.....cam lobe? Not probable. If oil pressure was the issue, all of them would be worn down, along with your engine bearings, all of your lifters and your check engine light would not just be on, it would be flashing for critical error.

Buy a rebuilt long block. Then you do not have to find WHY that ONE cam lobe was worn down. The cam lobe is the result of a problem that is not just oil on that one part. And if oil is a problem, your bearings are toast too.

aepowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have been running it for a year with it ticking and throwing codes Ill bet your VVT solenoid screen is full of metal shavings. My 5.7 had to have the cam and lifters replaced at 138000 earlier this year. I took it in as soon as I heard the ticking and before it threw any codes.

EriikK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I recently went down this path on my 6.4. With valve job machine work, new intake valves and valve springs, new Mopar cam and lifters, new oil pump timing chain etc, the parts and machine shop bill was about $4000. Rock Auto reputable US brands and the discount Mopar guy on this site. And about 40 hours of my time.

I chose this route because my 2015 truck with a dropped valve wouldn't be worth much and any used truck i replaced it with would be another unknown. Now I have a 'known good' top end. And the truck isn't my only vehicle so I could have it down for a while working on it at a reasonable pace.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Same year/motor. Similar issue at about the same mileage. Was quoted ~$5k for complete cam/valve job or $8k for a new motor replacement (short long block) with a 3year/100k warrantee. For me it was a no brainer and went ahead with the new engine.

Edit: sorry, long block. Lol

Missouri2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same year/motor. Similar issue at about the same mileage. Was quoted ~$5k for complete cam/valve job or $8k for a new motor replacement (short long block) with a 3year/100k warrantee. For me it was a no brainer and went ahead with the new engine.

Edit: sorry, long block. Lol
Where did you order it from, and is it a Mopar rebuild or aftermarket?
Thanks

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Here’s a vote for the cam and lifters rebuild route. Check the VVT solenoid to ensure no major metal filings. Do the routine maintenance items while you’re in there.

There are many 5.7 engines well into the 300k range.

With the new parts and better oiling strategy, my bet is that the engine will make it there.

If I could rewind time I would have gone non MDS with simple pcm reflash. I may still do it.

P.s. I also look at the new engine like this… are you willing to pay $12,500 for an engine that still has the same inherent flaw? $2k for me to get another 100k from a paid off vehicle was worth the gamble… $12k? I would have bought a different truck.

Again just my opinion.

Best of luck in your decision making.
Why doesn't Ram fix the tick?

sblack33741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar ETorque
Check this out. They have a tendency to solve some of the factory defects.

Leo P from SoCal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 D
What about all the cam particulates that have been floating around that engine for years now guys? Is it any problem there?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What about all the cam particulates that have been floating around that engine for years now guys? Is it any problem there?
If the VVT screen is full of metal filings,it's usually reconmended to replace the engine,if the VVT screen is still semi clean,then you can get away with just replacing the cam and lifters,and doing a couple short oil and filter changes afterwards.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m jealous,it is harder to justify all the top end upgrades that would nice to do,but you should do a complete build.I can’t get the thought of a hellcat oil pump with the oe spring upgrade .Dont forget the limitations of the 8 hp70.Still don’t want the new 3L six twin turbo.