New RAM 1500 5.7 4x4 (2018) first time owner questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

linnet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi All,

I have been driving my new RAM 1500 5.7 (2018) for a total of 1000 km and it's just awesome. Amazing. The RAM has been at the dealer for over 1 and half year. Anyway, I got a really good deal and I'm happy:happy160:. The warranty period started when I picked up the car.

Can you guys help me out on a couple of questions?

1) Service. Do you guys do basic service (oil+filter change, dust filter, fluids e t c) on the truck yourself from day 1 or do you let the dealer do the service? I was thinking to service the truck myself (been doing some service on my older cars before)f mostly because I find it a rip-off and I take more care. And fun...

2) Rust treatment for the chassis. Its not really cold, icy roads where i stay but when temperature goes below +1 (Celcius), they spread salt on the roads like it was no tomorrow. What do you guys think about it? Do the truck withstand rust "as-is"?

Cheers!
/stefan

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Hello, welcome to the forum!

For the first 50,000 km I let dealer do oil changes, just in case something went wrong. I figure if it doesn't happen within that range you shouldn't need to worry much. After that I did my own oil changes. Oil is everything in these trucks it can make or break it very quickly so do soem research. Many guys here are running redline oils with great results.

For rust, I live in the rust belt so I used bed liner and lined all my wheel wells, frame rails and under the cab so I don't have to worry about rock chips and intrusion.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did an oil change at 1000 miles on mine, maybe not necessary but I still believe in the bedding-in wear that machines experience during their first hours of operation. I know manufacturing tolerances are better now than ever so maybe that's not necessary anymore so I just changed the oil for personal gratification or something.

But aside from that out-of-normal oil change I had the dealer perform them during the warranty period, just to have it on record. Now that the warranty is up I'm doing them myself as I find it's a good opportunity to do some cleaning and inspection under there at the same time.

Won't get into oil brands, those conversations get really stupid really fast.

For rust prevention I think fluid film or the other lanolin-derived products do a really good job. Hardest part about them in my opinion is they're just a difficult smell to endure during application. The smell dissipates thankfully, but during application I need a light breeze and a paint mask.

duneop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1. I'd stay away from the dealer if at all possible unless it conflicts with your warranty. I've had the dealer leave my breaks off before after doing break servicing, which ended up with a brake caliper going into my rim and my truck stuck sideways across the road. I'm also on my third TIPM, I would attribute the first two TIPM's to the dealer. I would suggest NEVER LET THE DEALER NEAR ANYTHING WITH ELECTRONICS on your truck. And definitely specify if it's in for something else not to touch the electronics in your truck. My ABS module is protected by a ziplock bag as a result of TIPM fiasco.
2. I've used KROWN rust control every year since the truck was new (2009) I've replaced a rust hole in the front right quarter panel and so far that's the only rust on the vehicle with the exception of a little rust on the front chrome bumper. Not sure if that's an endorsement of KROWN or not. Might not have had a hole at all if I used something else. Truck is in Ontario Canada so it sees it's fair share of salt, that's for sure. Not too shabby for a truck that is going on 11 years old.

So far the old girl, isn't doing too bad. Aside from the TIPMS, a water pump, and just recently exhaust manifolds and new head gaskets. The cost of ownership has been relatively close to that of other brands (tires, brakes etc). If nothing else the fault finding and troubleshooting can be kinda fun. A hobbie all in it's own right. Congratulations on your purchase! Hope you get years of enjoyment out of the new toy. Don't wait to upload a picture on the forum, you're going to be spending a lot of time here in the next few years.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless it is warranty work my vehicles never get serviced at the dealer.
They are way overpriced IMO and they pay their techs by the job which leads to many of them working for speed and not quality. I prefer quality.

Another vote for Krown. I use it on both our vehicles every year. I don't know if they have it in Sweden but IMO any spray on rust inhibitor is better than nothing. Stay away from hard undercoat, over time it just cracks and flakes and creates areas for moister to hang around and promotes rust.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1. I'd stay away from the dealer if at all possible unless it conflicts with your warranty. I've had the dealer leave my breaks off before after doing break servicing, which ended up with a brake caliper going into my rim and my truck stuck sideways across the road. I'm also on my third TIPM, I would attribute the first two TIPM's to the dealer. I would suggest NEVER LET THE DEALER NEAR ANYTHING WITH ELECTRONICS on your truck. And definitely specify if it's in for something else not to touch the electronics in your truck. My ABS module is protected by a ziplock bag as a result of TIPM fiasco.
2. I've used KROWN rust control every year since the truck was new (2009) I've replaced a rust hole in the front right quarter panel and so far that's the only rust on the vehicle with the exception of a little rust on the front chrome bumper. Not sure if that's an endorsement of KROWN or not. Might not have had a hole at all if I used something else. Truck is in Ontario Canada so it sees it's fair share of salt, that's for sure. Not too shabby for a truck that is going on 11 years old.

So far the old girl, isn't doing too bad. Aside from the TIPMS, a water pump, and just recently exhaust manifolds and new head gaskets. The cost of ownership has been relatively close to that of other brands (tires, brakes etc). If nothing else the fault finding and troubleshooting can be kinda fun. A hobbie all in it's own right. Congratulations on your purchase! Hope you get years of enjoyment out of the new toy. Don't wait to upload a picture on the forum, you're going to be spending a lot of time here in the next few years.

sorry to say but not every dealer is bad, so to say stay away from a dealer is some very bad advice. Sure they might be overpriced but when you sign up for coupons and deals they are right inline with others

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
Welcome to the forum Stefan.

While the truck is under warranty all oil changes, tire rotations and service is done by the dealership and the one I use is great. I book an appointment with them bring my truck in have a free coffee and read the paper. About an hour later when they finish they offer to wash the truck which I usually pass on but the one time I said okay they did a good job. They have on occasion vacuumed the mats as well. Overall outstanding service.

As far as undercoating goes I get under the truck once a year and spray Rust Cure aka Corrosion Free. I prefer this way as it gives me the opportunity to see what's going on underneath the truck. It may not be as thorough as some professional companies but it's whole lot cheaper and has served me well for many years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam