New ram owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepamc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey all, I just bought a new ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7 hemi. I’m loving this truck so far. I traded a 2017 F-150 eco boost 3.5 that I had for 2 years. In that time the truck had been back to the dealer over 10 times for issues some of them with me not having the truck for weeks at a time and still wasn’t fixed. I sure hope this truck treats me better. The ram has the 3.21 ratio. I bought it to tow my 4K boat and it does great. Anything I need to know about these rams now that I have one? Thank you!

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the Ramily!!

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the ramforums and congrats on your new truck! A big thing with these trucks is how well you maintain the engine.

The 5.7hemi is well known for its lifter failures which in turn wipes out the camshaft if not properly maintained.

This is easily avoidable if you use a quality oil and filter. The most highly recommended being Redline oil with a 10-48 royal filter synthetic filter. Take a look at this forum post here and you will see what I’m talking about. Also keep your idling to a minimum with this truck as that is another cause. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/synthetic-motor-oil-poll-2017.111180/

Next thing would be your exhaust manifolds. Over time the cast iron manifolds tend to warp and snap the bolt heads off which you will end up hearing on cold starts briefly. When this happens your best bets are either have your stock manifolds resurfaced and replace all bolts or go with shorty headers and never worry about it again.

Besides those two issues you’ll have a solid long lasting truck if you maintain it.

OP
OP
J

Jeepamc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to the ramforums and congrats on your new truck! A big thing with these trucks is how well you maintain the engine.

The 5.7hemi is well known for its lifter failures which in turn wipes out the camshaft if not properly maintained.

This is easily avoidable if you use a quality oil and filter. The most highly recommended being Redline oil with a 10-48 royal filter synthetic filter. Take a look at this forum post here and you will see what I’m talking about. Also keep your idling to a minimum with this truck as that is another cause. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/synthetic-motor-oil-poll-2017.111180/

Next thing would be your exhaust manifolds. Over time the cast iron manifolds tend to warp and snap the bolt heads off which you will end up hearing on cold starts briefly. When this happens your best bets are either have your stock manifolds resurfaced and replace all bolts or go with shorty headers and never worry about it again.

Besides those two issues you’ll have a solid long lasting truck if you maintain it.

awesome! Thank you for the information. I was going to have the oil changed at the dealer. Do they use a quality oil? First time every owning a ram truck.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They just put in generic oil nothing special. Go to the dealer for your first oil change as the filter is always put on extremely tight from factory. After that I recommend switching to redline and doing the changes yourself.

If redline is too expensive for you then the next best option is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

Look up Nick@GotExhaust on these forums. He is a supplier on these forums and sells 7quart packages of redline oil. He is a great guy to deal with and great prices. Just don't get into aftermarket too soon or he will help you lighten your wallet a good amount haha.

OEDRO

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forum and congrats.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I just go to the dealer for oil changes until the free ones are used up. they put full synthetic. dont know who it's made by but if anything craps out you have their documentation for your maintenance records. welcome to the fam.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome from Central Texas... As said above, MX, especially on oil a key. DEALER will use standard Mopar filters which are okay and a synthetic blend on oil out of the ole Bulk barrel, Unless U tell them Full synthetic and pay the difference in price. I always have Full synthetic put in (sold by the quart of course) and pay the difference. But then I get $18.00 oil changes and am more than happy to pay the difference. The first time I hear ne noise will go to Redline 5W 30 and Royal Purple... But I CHANGE my oil every 5000 miles with filter and ALSO rotate tires every 5,000 miles. But then I's a Boird too...:angels25:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Welcome from Central Texas... As said above, MX, especially on oil a key. DEALER will use standard Mopar filters which are okay and a synthetic blend on oil out of the ole Bulk barrel, Unless U tell them Full synthetic and pay the difference in price. I always have Full synthetic put in (sold by the quart of course) and pay the difference. But then I get $18.00 oil changes and am more than happy to pay the difference. The first time I hear ne noise will go to Redline 5W 30 and Royal Purple... But I CHANGE my oil every 5000 miles with filter and ALSO rotate tires every 5,000 miles. But then I's a Boird too...:angels25:

maybe at your dealer. my dealer has used full synthetic in mine and never asked me about it or charged anything for it. they also offer to rotate my tires for no charge every time but I dont see the need for that yet.

Big Black Truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
5.7 e-torque
Hello all,
I have purchased my 1st Ram Truck the 2020 Ram Limited. Traded in a 2017 F-150 3.5 ECOBOOST which I really enjoyed driving. I hope to get my money's worth out of my first Ram which so far I love to drive. As for the gentleman talking about oil changes and where to go. I had a 2013 BMW that lost an engine 450 before my extended warranty was to expire. The replacement engine was 20K and BMW paid for it but only because I had my oil changed by either the dealership or a replicable location that kept my records showing I had stayed within my recommended oil change. The moral of the story is have the records to reflect the work so that you never have a problem.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the nut and bolt do it yourself forum. Awesome truck good luck :banana-mario:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Hello all,
I have purchased my 1st Ram Truck the 2020 Ram Limited. Traded in a 2017 F-150 3.5 ECOBOOST which I really enjoyed driving. I hope to get my money's worth out of my first Ram which so far I love to drive. As for the gentleman talking about oil changes and where to go. I had a 2013 BMW that lost an engine 450 before my extended warranty was to expire. The replacement engine was 20K and BMW paid for it but only because I had my oil changed by either the dealership or a replicable location that kept my records showing I had stayed within my recommended oil change. The moral of the story is have the records to reflect the work so that you never have a problem.

if you do your own wrenching, keeping records of it is key. they cant deny warranty work because you do your own service unless you dont have records of doing it as required. Harley Davidson has tried forcing owners to use their dealers and expensive shop rates for maintenance and found that the magnusnn-moss protects owners from that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963