New to me Cummins, needing suggestions about service.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KX5jeron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hey everyone, just bought a 2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel. It has about 135,000 miles. I am planning on doing a FULL service on it. Mainly engine, trans, and transfer case. Possibly the axel fluid also if you guys think it is warranted.

My main question is should I put an upgraded trans pan on it for better cooling and added oil capacity?? Everything I've been told, and from what I can tell, it is stock everything other than a leveling kit and 35-inch tires. I don't plan on modding it much at all. I'm at a point where I just want something reliable. It also has the 68RFE Trans.

Like I said mainly curious if a bigger trans pan is needed while I have the old one off. and any other service items you think I should do that I didn't list...

Thanks, everyone!!!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Learn about your rfe vids below, with a little work they can be great transmissions...

For me personally I'd go with a big pan for two reasons, either my transmission was running hot like over 175f- rare for the rfe, or I wanted a long interval. Now a third reason would be if there wasnt a drain plug, because for me an oem pan is ideal if it had a drain plug because I would do a drain and fill yearly. If you had a bigger pan it just would cost you more to do that. But if the oem doesn't have a plug, yeah I'd go larger pan. rfe will last better with new fluid yearly, it is only 7-8 quarts for a drain and fill, no flush.

Here is another good thread for synthetic filter options and metal thread upgrade.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think you have that thermo ********, you need to bypass that as well for sure. When those valves fail, they toast the tranny, nobody wants those things. Make the transmission run hotter all the time.

find a good price, but this thing.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I like redline c+ for the transmission and transfer case, amsoil sg or redline for the diffs.

OP
OP
K

KX5jeron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I think you have that thermo ********, you need to bypass that as well for sure. When those valves fail, they toast the tranny, nobody wants those things. Make the transmission run hotter all the time.

find a good price, but this thing.

Oh thanks for pointing that out.. I had something similar on an older truck and yeah it was no good... Never understood why they want to regulate the temperature in a tranny. Always heard heat is bad and to keep them as cool as possible.