New to the Ram life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jared.hammel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
Bought my first Ram (first truck in general...) today. Figured I would join a forum for it. 1999 Ram V8 Magnum 5.9L. Old and has a lot of miles. Where should I start in terms or preventative maintenance? I know I have to replace a ujoint, the valve cover gaskets, and tail light assemblies already. Any advice would be great. Would love to keep this beast running.

1ATony

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
welcome to the site

Tony :rockit:

JTrean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would start with replacing all fluids and inspecting/replacing (if needed) the ball joints.

OP
OP
J

jared.hammel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
I would start with replacing all fluids and inspecting/replacing (if needed) the ball joints.

Thank you. Getting the oil changed Friday, gonna get a tranny flush and coolant flush too? I'll look in to the ball joints.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Thank you. Getting the oil changed Friday, gonna get a tranny flush and coolant flush too? I'll look in to the ball joints.

Don't do a tranny flush unless it is FRESHLY rebuilt. Flushing is going to move around all the crap that was sitting out of the way and kill your tranny. Just change fluid, filter, and adjust bands.