New V8 Engine Coming?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I just read in a Car & Driver discussion of the new Dodge Viper that's being developed (maybe) that there will be no more V10 engines. Instead, a "new all aluminum V8 is being developed". So I wonder if this is a modification of the current V6--->all aluminum, 32 valve, DOHC, FI, VVT, etc.? If it were just an added 2 cylinders using the same pistons, it might be a 4.8l V8 with approx. 406 hp if rated for a truck, but the torque figures might be a little light for a HD truck (add a hybrid arrangement?). But the exhaust-in-the-head configuration on the V6 begs for dual turbo's, so....? Purely speculation or extrapolation on my part but wouldn't it be nice? I do love my truck with the V6, but I could be tempted by a similarly high-tech V8. :driver:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I know we've chatted about it before here, but you'd think a pentastar with 2 more cylinders would be a screamer for sure, but you know they'd have to complicate it with direct injection, turbo charging or both.

Not that any of that is a bad thing, I just prefer more simple port injection, no turbo, etc.

I know the start/stop technology crap and the E-torque booster motors and battery packs are the wave of the future, but man. For the minimal fuel you save, it's not worth it IMO.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The more cylinders there are the more pollution from the engine of a given displacement. That is why V-12 and V-10 engines went out of production as they could not pass the federal emissions requirements.

If Ram produced a V-6 without the eTorque junk I would buy one. Somehow Ford and Chevy can produce high power economical V-6 engines without needed something like eTorque. I would hope that FCA would get it act together and produce a true hybrid pickup. It would be great to get 50% more miles on a tank of gas.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just read in a Car & Driver discussion of the new Dodge Viper that's being developed (maybe) that there will be no more V10 engines. Instead, a "new all aluminum V8 is being developed". So I wonder if this is a modification of the current V6--->all aluminum, 32 valve, DOHC, FI, VVT, etc.? If it were just an added 2 cylinders using the same pistons, it might be a 4.8l V8 with approx. 406 hp if rated for a truck, but the torque figures might be a little light for a HD truck (add a hybrid arrangement?). But the exhaust-in-the-head configuration on the V6 begs for dual turbo's, so....? Purely speculation or extrapolation on my part but wouldn't it be nice? I do love my truck with the V6, but I could be tempted by a similarly high-tech V8. :driver:

In my back room I've got an FCA V-12 with dual plane crank, 100% forged, capable of 40 PSI FI.

Wait. Wake me up!

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The problem is one of packaging; a pushrod V8 is much more compact that a quad cam variable timing 32 valve setup. So for a truck you can fit larger displacement (and more torque) into the bay. Same reason Corvette has kept the pushrod for so long.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Aluminum v8 for a vehicle used for towing? I wouldn't want that just for potential over heating issues, but then again I don't want anything extra they have been putting on these trucks.

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Aluminum v8 for a vehicle used for towing? I wouldn't want that just for potential over heating issues, but then again I don't want anything extra they have been putting on these trucks.

True, these V6's are very complicated compared to the older engines. But so is the whole damned truck. Why does the horn have to go thru the computer to work? At least that's my assumption since there is a nano-delay after pressing the button before the horn sounds. Same with the starter, etc. Nothing like what I grew up with---matchbook to set points, etc.

But then this little ****** of mine really runs! Twice the power of those old straight 6's from the 1950's & 60's (I also owned & drove a '39 Dodge 1/2-ton with a 85 hp flatty that I liked a lot).

Not arguing here, just acknowledging the inevitable, I really love this new truck (and it's rated to tow 7400#). Keep on trucking

:driver:

PS: Where I get concerned about aluminum in engines is with the Al head and Fe block.

PPS: Heh, I just had a thought---did the old guys in the 1930's say that OHV engines were too complicated compared to the flatty's they were used to? Bah ha ha ha!

Burla, please take this in the way it's intended, just conversation, not a debate nor a rebuttal. I'm an old fart just trying to get along. Happy Trails

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
True, these V6's are very complicated compared to the older engines. But so is the whole damned truck. Why does the horn have to go thru the computer to work? At least that's my assumption since there is a nano-delay after pressing the button before the horn sounds. Same with the starter, etc. Nothing like what I grew up with---matchbook to set points, etc.

But then this little ****** of mine really runs! Twice the power of those old straight 6's from the 1950's & 60's (I also owned & drove a '39 Dodge 1/2-ton with a 85 hp flatty that I liked a lot).

Not arguing here, just acknowledging the inevitable, I really love this new truck (and it's rated to tow 7400#). Keep on trucking

:driver:

PS: Where I get concerned about aluminum in engines is with the Al head and Fe block.

PPS: Heh, I just had a thought---did the old guys in the 1930's say that OHV engines were too complicated compared to the flatty's they were used to? Bah ha ha ha!

Burla, please take this in the way it's intended, just conversation, not a debate nor a rebuttal. I'm an old fart just trying to get along. Happy Trails

I'm just an old ****, like the hemi we are a match, new engines on the horizon for sure. Just not sure they will be aluminum.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I don’t think anyone will be investing in new engine tech other than electric. I think the next tech will be a fuel delivery that will bring the burn efficiency up and carbon capture on the exhaust probably another type of catalyst that converts the carbon

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don’t think anyone will be investing in new engine tech other than electric.

Even the current-gen IC engines are very inefficient. But there are some technologies out there, that if implemented can greatly improve upon it. One I am enamored with is solenoid controlled valves. Mechanically coupled variable valve timing is one thing, but when you can open and close valves as much or as little as you like, at what ever duration you like, in milliseconds, that's a game changer in my book.

https://newatlas.com/camcon-digital-iva-valve-system/55827/

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Even the current-gen IC engines are very inefficient. But there are some technologies out there, that if implemented can greatly improve upon it. One I am enamored with is solenoid controlled valves. Mechanically coupled variable valve timing is one thing, but when you can open and close valves as much or as little as you like, at what ever duration you like, in milliseconds, that's a game changer in my book.

Koenigsegg also has a camless engine out:
https://www.freevalve.com/

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip

Yes I have seen that and yes it would make a very scaleable motor but I have not seen any real use of it. Actually I thought I had invented it on my walk back from the gym one day but yea it’s been around for a while lol (I’m an instrument / control systems engineer and work with solenoid valves). In my industry solenoid valves are good for 5 million cycles and 3 to 10 years so that’s probably the limitation

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m still confused as to why FCA hasn’t made a single or twin turbo pentastar. The day it was released, every automotive speculator said “it’s a platform for turbos with that integral manifold and specs”.
I would even like to see its architecture extended to a V8, either same bore an stroke, or slightly over current specs.

Hell... surprise us and do both. Bring an eco boost fighter to the table as well as a moderate displacement DOHC V8.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The problem is one of packaging; a pushrod V8 is much more compact that a quad cam variable timing 32 valve setup. So for a truck you can fit larger displacement (and more torque) into the bay. Same reason Corvette has kept the pushrod for so long.

Good point on that. I thought the pentastar looked ridiculously tiny in my 2017 Ram 1500, but the only reason it looks that way is there's no cooling fan shrouding due to the E-fan. Take the mechanical fan and fan shrouding off a hemi and it's as small looking an engine.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Good point on that. I thought the pentastar looked ridiculously tiny in my 2017 Ram 1500, but the only reason it looks that way is there's no cooling fan shrouding due to the E-fan. Take the mechanical fan and fan shrouding off a hemi and it's as small looking an engine.
Yes and just think if it were not a Hemi those heads would be much smaller

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I don’t understand the younger generations fascination with turbo’s even on my PWC forum they want the factory to replace the centrifugal supercharger with a turbo. Turbo’s are a great fix to a power plant that has no performance (eco boost) but there is much more to a vehicle to me than just slapping a turbo to a crappy sounding V6 (eco boost) I’ll take a little less performance on a throaty V8 that actually sounds like a truck. I grew up on no performance POS vehicle’s I had a 82’ Z28 in high school that the 305 produced 135 hp so thank god for companies like dodge that brought back muscle cars not more crappy sounding cars that I hated growing up (Supra turbo, 280/300 turbo, Mitsubishi starion turbo, RX7 turbo, Mitsubishi 300 turbo and the grand national too it sounded like crap).