Newbie Air Suspension Question: what happens when on shop hoist?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

munsterlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Greetings,
I just recently purchased a 2017 1500 with air suspension.
Are there any concerns if you take it to a tire store or shop and the put it on the rack?
I see there is a "wheel alignment mode" in the suspension menu. I am not sure what that mode does... does it just turn off the leveling?
Your knowledge is appreciated!

transam210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has to be put in " tire jack mode" took mine to the dealership for a tire rotation and they didn't do it and ripped out my front axel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Has to be put in " tire jack mode" took mine to the dealership for a tire rotation and they didn't do it and ripped out my front axel.

Care to elaborate? Not setting it to service mode would not cause any harm. It’s mainly to stop the system while activating with the wheels off the ground.

Both my 14 and 17 have air suspension and I’ve rarely set them in service mode when I put them on the hoist. Never had any issues.

Technically yes it should go into service mode, but not doing it is not going to cause any damage.

To the OP “wheel alignment” mode sets the system into aero mode to allow for proper alignment readings.

transam210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Care to elaborate? Not setting it to service mode would not cause any harm. It’s mainly to stop the system while activating with the wheels off the ground.

Both my 14 and 17 have air suspension and I’ve rarely set them in service mode when I put them on the hoist. Never had any issues.

Technically yes it should go into service mode, but not doing it is not going to cause any damage.

Dealership stated they failed to put it in tire jack mode and pulled the front axel out and they replaced them both. That's all I know .

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Dealership stated they failed to put it in tire jack mode and pulled the front axel out and they replaced them both. That's all I know .

They fed you a line then I’m guessing. Service mode just stops the system from trying to level when wheels are jacked. At the most if not in service mode it will deflate the bags trying to change ride height, but it won’t create any damage.

You got 2 new CV axles out of it though so I wouldn’t worry. Makes me wonder what they did though.

OP
OP
M

munsterlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

To the OP “wheel alignment” mode sets the system into aero mode to allow for proper alignment readings.

Thanks! When you say "service mode" do you mean tire/jack mode, wheel alignment mode, or transport mode? Looks like all of these disable the leveling system. But I don't have a mode called "service."

transam210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They fed you a line then I’m guessing. Service mode just stops the system from trying to level when wheels are jacked. At the most if not in service mode it will deflate the bags trying to change ride height, but it won’t create any damage.

You got 2 new CV axles out of it though so I wouldn’t worry. Makes me wonder what they did though.

Not sure, I talked to the company that did my BDS lift and he said the same that it could unseat the axels . I told them how to put it in that mode and twice the dealership has failed to do it and twice they stated the same thing and replaced the axels

OP
OP
M

munsterlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks! When you say "service mode" do you mean tire/jack mode, wheel alignment mode, or transport mode? Looks like all of these disable the leveling system. But I don't have a mode called "service."
And when you put it that mode does it stay that way until you take it out, even though started and driven multiple times?
Appreciate the knowledge, guys.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Sorry, I’m referring to tire/jack mode when I say service mode.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
And when you put it that mode does it stay that way until you take it out, even though started and driven multiple times?
Appreciate the knowledge, guys.
It won’t stay in that mode, you can either manually disable it, or it will disable when you start driving.

OP
OP
M

munsterlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It won’t stay in that mode, you can either manually disable it, or it will disable when you start driving.
Sorry to be dense... so if I drive to the tire store for new tires, and I put it in tire/jack mode when I park in their lot, then when the tech gets in to pull into the bay to work on it, it will be back out of that mode?
So the ONLY way to "do it right" is for the tech to both know how ,and remember to, put it in tire/jack mode when he drives it on to the hoist?
And it they test drive for something and put back on the hoist, they need to do it each time?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Not sure, I talked to the company that did my BDS lift and he said the same that it could unseat the axels . I told them how to put it in that mode and twice the dealership has failed to do it and twice they stated the same thing and replaced the axels

Interesting, definitely not what I’ve ever experienced at my dealer. Honestly I’ve rarely seen any other techs put it in service mode. It doesn’t stop the suspension from dropping anymore than just in normal mode, which potentially is what could cause an axle to axle to pop out.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sorry to be dense... so if I drive to the tire store for new tires, and I put it in tire/jack mode when I park in their lot, then when the tech gets in to pull into the bay to work on it, it will be back out of that mode?
So the ONLY way to "do it right" is for the tech to both know how ,and remember to, put it in tire/jack mode when he drives it on to the hoist?
And it they test drive for something and put back on the hoist, they need to do it each time?

As far as I know, it would have to be put into tire/jack mode after driving it. I believe it doesn’t go back into normal mode till you reach a certain speed though, I’m not 100% sure though.

I’ll look it up tomorrow if I remember and try to find a better answer for you.

Last edited: