Newbie Trailer Brake Controller question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamCanada67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've read through the a ton of posts on towing, specifically about trailer brake controllers. But the more I read, the more confusing it got!

Got a new Ram 1500 in May this year (see signature). Quite a few options including the Luxury Group, Premium Front Seats and Heated Seats and Wheel Group, Black Appearance Group, Remote Start and Security Alarm Group, UConnect 4C NAV with 8.4" Display, Class IV hitch, Spray-in Bedliner, Truxedo Pro X15 Tonneau Cover. I'm very impressed so far.

I tow a 3000 lb (with cargo, LP, batteries) trailer...Rockwood Premier 2514G popup. Tongue weight 300 lbs. 19' long including hitch. It has trailer brakes.

During the test drive and sale process I noticed the truck didn't come with a trailer brake controller. It's pre-wired for one and there's an empty slot for it. I asked about it and was told I wouldn't need trailer brakes towing 3000 lbs. Local laws only require trailer brakes over 4000 lbs. And a breakaway cable if over 3000 lbs. I have a breakaway cable.

I was on a trailer forum and the consensus there was that I should absolutely be using the trailer brakes. So my question, Is it ok to haul 3000 lbs without a trailer brake controller?

I went on the Mopar site and found the correct ITBC for my rig.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215040ac-fs.html

Part number: 82215040AC

It's on backorder at Mopar with an ETA of 8-12 weeks. I could get another brand but it probably wouldn't be plug and play and probably not compatible with my UConnect 8.4" display or the 7-inch color in-cluster display?

I should have negotiated it into the deal. Hindsight is 20/20.

But, I should be ok as I plan to tow the camper to a seasonal site about an hour away for the Summer anyway.

From what I've read, with my truck's specs, it can tow 8240 lbs.

Thoughts?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Few things. I'll start off with you need to check local laws they are all little different in texas is 4500 gvw for brakes. Now the owners manual for a 1500 says over 1000lbs suggested to have brakes over 2000lbs required. Now for personal experience I have pulled several trailers over 3k with out brakes I would prefer it but if you keep in mind you dont have them and keep your distance you should be fine 3000lbs doesnt seem like alot but will increase your stopping by quite a bit.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
You should be OK, without, if you keep it in mind with your driving style. Though, if your trailer already has brakes, I would certainly choose to use them by adding the module to your truck.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
these new ram trucks have great brakes so 3000#-4000# is nothing if you drive defensively and allow some stopping space. I have pulled my loaded utility trailer many times with no problems and my 6000# travel trailer has 4 wheel electric brakes and combined with the large discs on the truck, I have been surprised at how well I can shut it down. for the big trailer I have the brake controller on 5.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Like other said, at 3K lbs you can drive on the cautious defensive side for what sounds like a one trip to the camp ground.
If your really concerned about not having a brake controller you could buy an inexpensive one with a plug and play cable to use till the ITBM comes in