no acceleration after starting to drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stephenmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
hope someone can help. I have two mechanics baffled. 2002 5.9 with 532K. engine starts perfectly and will recognize pressing accelerator while in park. Once I start moving the engine bogs down. Goes through several gears but will not get over 30-40 mph. this is with petal to the floor. After about a mile if I completely stop and start moving again it takes off like a bat out hell, normal. Only does this while sitting overnight and now its doing it after sitting in sunny spot all day. batteries are 6 months old and grounded well. new lift pump and injector pump installed 7 months ago. new TPS I installed myself 2 months ago when it stared doing this and I thought that was the problem. I'm not a mechanic but mine was closed for two weeks so I took on that task. injector pump was taken off and tested on some 300K machine and performed perfectly. reinstalled, problem still exist. HELP!

matt.ferguson439

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Does it sound like the fan is going overtime when it's bogging down? Mine did that until I changed the fan clutch. The replacement still isn't great, but it's a cheap part. Still not nearly as bad as it was though.