No power, key stuck in ignition, wont shift out of park, truck is locked down... help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Went to remote start my truck, no noise or any feedback (2-way remote). So i walk outside to manually start it, no lights flashing when i hit unlock... door wont unlock. I manually unlock it with the key inside the fob, and when i look at the guages, the small red "security?" light is on. I think its the security light, small red led diode looking bulb, bottom right of gauges.

Ok let me break down the key points real quick.

- 2012 Ram 5.7L Hemi
- Battery is 3-4 months old and is a premium battery (forget the brand but it was $270 before my coupon)
- Last drove it 4 days ago
- Remote start installed at Best Buy in December, not a single issue after install... not sure if its related
- Tried to remote start, nothing
- Had to manually open door with key
- No headlight flash or any door chime
- Gauges has small red light lit up for 1/2 a second when i opened door
- Tried to start truck, wouldnt start, key stuck in ignition. Wont turn to off position
- I can not shift the truck out of park into neutral or any gear. Stuck in park.
- I unhooked my Pedal Commander, no fix.
- I unhooked the battery (+ and -) for 10 minutes, did nothing at all

So now im stumped. Key still stuck in my truck, cant shift into any gear. No lights, no radio, no chimes, nothing. Its like the truck is in hibernation mode, or lock down mode. Not sure what to do.

I had an aftermarket remote installed in December. The remote start is the Compustar 4905S kit with 2-way remote (expensive kit). Like i said, ive had zero issues with the remote start since its install.

I have no clue what to even try to do next. I think im going to have to have it towed to a dealer because i am uncomfortable letting my truck sit out front with a key stuck inside. If i cant figure it out in the next couple hours im going to have to have it towed, i am not going to let it sit overnight with a key in it.

Does anyone know what happened or have a similar incident?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I havent ever heard of the key getting stuck, I would unplug the battery for a little bit and try it again.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Can you bypass the remote start?
If there's a way to remove it from power and return the truck to normal that's what I'd try first.
Aftermarket remote start kits usually involve an additional module for FCA products, that's a potential issue.

Octane

Reaction score
How does a fob get stuck? Replace the part the fob goes into to start it, sounds reasonable.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I havent ever heard of the key getting stuck, I would unplug the battery for a little bit and try it again.

Already removed the battery terminals for 10 minutes, didnt make a difference and no chimes or beeps when i reconnected it.

Can you bypass the remote start?
If there's a way to remove it from power and return the truck to normal that's what I'd try first.
Aftermarket remote start kits usually involve an additional module for FCA products, that's a potential issue.

I did not install the remote start so i am not sure what goes where or how its wired. I dont want to start just disconnecting things i dont know what they are for.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
How does a fob get stuck? Replace the part the fob goes into to start it, sounds reasonable.

Its not the fob or the ignition. The entire truck is shut down, no power, nothing works, wont even shift out of park. Absolutely no power to anything in the truck.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Have it towed to Best Buy if they installed the remote start. Or get the info for your system & disconnect it yourself.
Instructions should be available.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have it towed to Best Buy if they installed the remote start. Or get the info for your system & disconnect it yourself.
Instructions should be available.

Thats the thing, im not sure if its the remote start or not. I simply mentioned it because its installed and could potentially be the issue but i dont think it is. Im not sure how it would lock the transmission into park, lock the key into the ignition and shut off power to every single part of the vehicle. I dont want to tow it to best buy just to have them tell me its not the remote start and then i have to have it towed to a dealership too. The closest best buy with an install bay is 45 minutes from me since Covid, best buy shut down 1/2 of their install locations and my local BB no longer has one. It would be easier to tow it to the dealer but i am hoping to prevent that by finding a solution on here.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Power is being interrupted.
Remote start tapped into power somehow, somewhere.
I know there's fuses in the battery terminal, also a main electrical connector behind the left front wheel liner (bottom back).
Also check the hood latch connections.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
call the installer of the Compustar 4905S kit with 2-way remote (expensive kit).

If it was an OEM product, it would be an simple fix

One thing that you might try....

Below the steering wheel, there is a panel with 2 screws in it.
Remove that panel
Then on your right side, behind the ignition switch, you will see a few wires plugged into the back of the black box that is the ignition switch.
If those wires are unplugged, you may be able to remove your FOB ???

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Thats the thing, im not sure if its the remote start or not. I simply mentioned it because its installed and could potentially be the issue but i dont think it is. Im not sure how it would lock the transmission into park, lock the key into the ignition and shut off power to every single part of the vehicle. I dont want to tow it to best buy just to have them tell me its not the remote start and then i have to have it towed to a dealership too. The closest best buy with an install bay is 45 minutes from me since Covid, best buy shut down 1/2 of their install locations and my local BB no longer has one. It would be easier to tow it to the dealer but i am hoping to prevent that by finding a solution on here.

I've heard about the fob getting stuck before. The red light is a security light. Most likely it came on and locked your fob because you used the manual key.

Can you turn the key to acc position?
If so try disconnecting the battery with the key in that position.

Verify that the shift lever is fully in the park position.

Verify that the battery is fully charged

It's possible that the win module died. That would kill the power to the truck.

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do you have a voltmeter? If so check the battery voltage. I know you said it is 3-4 months old premium battery but don't let that fact stop you from checking it.

Octane

Reaction score
Batteries can short out.Pretty much cant just throw parts at it but diagnostics can get expensive.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
call the installer of the Compustar 4905S kit with 2-way remote (expensive kit).

If it was an OEM product, it would be an simple fix

One thing that you might try....

Below the steering wheel, there is a panel with 2 screws in it.
Remove that panel
Then on your right side, behind the ignition switch, you will see a few wires plugged into the back of the black box that is the ignition switch.
If those wires are unplugged, you may be able to remove your FOB ???

This might work also... Definitely power to module issue, not the remote or fob, IMHO...

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The key will get stuck if the battery is dead. Has happened to my '11 several times. So I would start there, despite the battery only being a few months old.