No start troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So I'm troubleshooting my son's '97 which wouldn't start yesterday. First thing I tried was a little bit of gas into the throttle body. It didn't eve try to start.
Then I check to see if there was any spark from the coil. There is none.
Took it off and checked with multi-meter. Book says there should be 1 ohm between the 2 contacts and there is 1.9 ohms. So I'm thinking this may be the problem. It does have 303,000+ miles and 24 years on it.
Do you guys concur?

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Coil would be the best starting point, cheap and easy to replace. If that doesn't fix the issue, the Cam and Crank Sensor are high on the list of suspects. Is the check engine light on?

OP
OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No check engine light.

OP
OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Ok so I installed a new ignition coil and there is still no spark. I also noticed that there is no sound of the fuel pump when the key is turned on.
No I'm thinking it may be the crankshaft position sensor. Does anyone know if there is any way to test it before buying a new one because it is really super hard to get to on the back of the engine.

OP
OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I already tried putting a bit of gas in the throttlebody and it still doesn't even try to start. It can't because there is no spark.

OP
OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Still no spark after installing new ignition coil so the next thing up the line would be the crankshaft position sensor. Got a new one on the way so we'll see what happens.

OP
OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Finally had a chance to change out the crankshaft position sensor. After A LOT of sweat and scraped knuckles, SUCCESS! It fired right up.
The back of the engine is about the worst place they could have put this damn sensor. :mad: Had to do everything by feel.

scrounge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I replaced one yesterday. Just two bolts and one wire connector should make it a simple job, but the location made it take hours. I was able to see part of it when looking from under the truck after I jacked it up more than a foot and removed the passenger tire. Various advice online was to use a 13 mm socket on the bolts, but I found that a 1/2-inch socket was a better fit. I used a 1/4" Allen socket to tighten them on the new sensor. One piece of advice was to unbolt the trans fluid tube, but that bolt was even harder to access and impossible to see, so I left it on. Another advised to use a hanger to pull the old sensor out, but keep the wires connected, and bolt on the new sensor before taking the old wires off. This, I did. The wires on the new sensor were barely able to reach the connector. I wore work gloves, so no scraped knuckles, but I did lose a trickle of blood from my left arm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007