Noise on decel...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nowukno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just got home from a 12 hour round trip from Georgia. On the way home i hit 100k on 2014 5.7 hemi outdoorsman. Shortly after when taking a exit to eat i notice a weird noise on deceleration. Sounds like it's coming from left side mid or front. Sound is hard to describe...almost like air but a fluttering sound..as soon as I'm back in the gas pedal sound is gone. Got home and reved in the driveway a few and could not get the sound to happen. I had to fix the passenger side manifold about a year ago but that was a ticking sound this sounds totally different. Any ideas? Maybe get it off the ground or on a dyno?

OP
OP
nowukno

nowukno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
To add to my original post...i was towing a trailer and in tow/haul mode. Just went down the road and sounds like a card in bike spokes. MDS?

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Might be worth a quick peek under the truck - and do a walkthrough of your drive train and major suspension components. Check for wear, and excessive play on things that spin, flex etc. I won’t list everything but watch a few youtube videos to get familiar if you are not.

OP
OP
nowukno

nowukno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Suspension & drive line are fine. Its coming from engine area only on deceleration....sounding more like a card in bike spokes than anything else. Truck still runs great

Brandon09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had the same noise for a couple years. Researched the topic for hours and the consensus is cam phaser or timing chain guides. Iv wanted to track it down but haven't felt like tearing it down that deep to find out truck is an 09 5.7 with 207k on the Odometer

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not warped manifolds or broken Exh studs is it? Cackle out the exhaust when yer on the gas, towing ...sound under the hood ...kind of a classic tell-tale. Obviously real common Ram issue.

First thing I'd look into. Pass side first.

[EDIT] Whoops I read your post wrong ..."Deceleration" ...I was thinking Acceleration.. not enough coffee today I guess! LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
nowukno

nowukno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I figured it out and started a thread in engine topics...MDS 100%

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I figured it out and started a thread in engine topics...MDS 100%

It's not mds, it's the cam phaser.
It happens when in mds because of the low oil pressure. The solution is replace the cam phaser. You could turn off mds but that is only masking the root cause

OP
OP
nowukno

nowukno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What kind of risk am i taking turning off the mds? Chain fall off eventually? I rarely use the truck besides when i pull my SxS once every month or so.

Brandon09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm glad you posted that it's 100% cam phaser some day I'll tear it down because it really bothers me that much. Do you think it's hurting anything since it's been doing it for so long.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm glad you posted that it's 100% cam phaser some day I'll tear it down because it really bothers me that much. Do you think it's hurting anything since it's been doing it for so long.

Mine does it also and I've been told it's a broken clock spring inside the phaser. According to alphaobd my phaser still turns to the correct angle within .1 degree. The only risk would be a small piece of metal going into your engine but the risk is low in my unprofessional and unqualified opinion. I'm not going to mess with it unless I have to do cam and lifters.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What kind of risk am i taking turning off the mds? Chain fall off eventually? I rarely use the truck besides when i pull my SxS once every month or so.

Not from anything I've read, the people that have gone to the trouble of fixing it didnt have any excess chain wear. Some wear on the tensiones but normal wear.