Non synthetic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Does anyone here run non synthetic motor oil

I'm 4800 miles into my oil change. Since new I've ran castrol gtx 520. I change my oil at 5 k miles I now have 46k on the truck. Usually when I change it it still at least looks like oil. This stuff is so dark I can't read the dipstick. I've done 2 oil changes since I moved to alaska. And they were both this bad. When I was east coast. It was a lot of highway commuting. Here. Is a lot of short driving up some ridiculously steep hills. Should I change my oil more often? Switch oil? Or Make the change to synthetic. I ran Mobil 1 full synthetic in my last truck. But that's what was in it when I bought it.

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would run synthetic in that cold environment and especially with lots of short trip driving IMO

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
In my opinion there are only a few actual Full Synthetic oils out there any more. Redline-Amsoil-Schaeffer maybe RP in the States.

I agree with B-Shot! I {myself}--> would use nothing but a 0W-20 or 0W-30 in Alaska!

But I imagine a 5W-20 dino oil would work!

Is the Truck garage Kept?

This is just my thoughts and opinion!

If it was me in Alaska & My truck was parked outside 24/7! I would look into adding an Electric Battery Blanket as well as some type of Oil Pan Heater!

I have never lived there so my opinion might not be that good! I have just read hundreds of posts of other owners who live there and have done this with very good success!

You also could us Reg Dino 5W-20 and as you said change it more often. I would think between 3-4K miles. If this is the case I would recommend PYB 5W-20.

They have not done a test for 2014 yet! PYB is hard to beat! Quacker State is right there as Well!
http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html

Last edited:

RamRodRic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
ketchikan ain't ALASKA

actually, Ketchikan is a relatively mild climate by Alaska standards. mainly just wet and windy! as i recall, you only have some 15 miles, or less, to drive north or south of town. thats about it. because of the very little time for the engine to fully warm up and burn off the blow-bye that occurs, i'd be changing the oil on 3k intervals. no further. 5w-20 pennzoil yellow bottle should be fine.
been hunting on prince of wales lately?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use Penzoil conventional, which is the factory fill the truck came with. I've been changing around 30% on the meter, which has been around 5K miles and haven't had any problems at 12k miles now. Penzoil also makes a great synthetic oil if you feel more comfortable. Maybe you should get an oil analysis done to make up your mind? Just looking dark by itself doesn't mean anything, really, other than the oil is doing its job.

OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
actually, Ketchikan is a relatively mild climate by Alaska standards. mainly just wet and windy! as i recall, you only have some 15 miles, or less, to drive north or south of town. thats about it. because of the very little time for the engine to fully warm up and burn off the blow-bye that occurs, i'd be changing the oil on 3k intervals. no further. 5w-20 pennzoil yellow bottle should be fine.
been hunting on prince of wales lately?

No not yet, I have a week trip planes for September for black bears.
And I think I'll stick with castrol and change it at 3k. Sine I already have the 8qts. Then ill switch to a full synthetic