Noob, tastes like chicken....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JanB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel w/68rfe
Hi,

We called the dealer and arranged to pick up a new 2019 Ram 3500 Diesel with the 68rfe and a Tradesman 2 package, spray-in liner and trailer brake controller, 12,300 GVWR. We are planning to get it tomorrow for purpose of pulling an RV. Mostly likely a 5th wheel. It will be our first diesel, our first 3/4 or 1 ton, and eventually our first RV. Total noobs.

A couple of questions:

The truck does not have the 5th wheel prep and the dealer said they could not add that. :-( I know a 5th wheel hitch can be added, but the Ram system seems pretty slick. Any thoughts?

The truck does not have an engine block heater and will be operated in the Rocky Mtn. region in winter. For all I know, we might want to do a Northern Lights trip at some point, meaning northern BC in the winter for a few days. Dealer said they could not add that either. I was astounded. Is it a big deal to add that to this vehicle? The dealer said the vehicle is rated to -20 F without a block heater. True?

Anything else we should know?

Thanks!

Jan

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

My 2500 didn't have the system either but the hitch installation wasn't a problem with it not being there. Mine is a Laramie but wasn't built with the option and it doesn't come standard on the Tradesman package either.

I got the B&W Companion and that kit basically mimics the puck system provided by Ram. They do have to cut a hole in the bed and drill some holes to mount the kit. At the end of the day it works just like the Ram OEM puck system. There are a lot of good systems out there so research them. Each manufacturer has a specific kit that works with the Ram trucks, as well as Chev, GMC & Ford. They are all a bit different.

The block heater should be already there. What you need is the power cord installation kit to make it all work. Here's a vid that shows the install:

Here is the cord:

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Heate...t=&hvlocphy=1024479&hvtargid=pla-825589223026

-20 deg F assumes your coolant is up to spec. I lived in Wyoming for some time and there is no way in Hades I'd not have a block heater in the Rocky Mountain states in winter.

As far as anything else to know, as a noob to RV'g you'll have a lot to learn. Just take your time and don't be depressed when something breaks. RVs need a little TLC now and then, even the new ones. Think of it like this...you are towing your tiny house through a hurricane and an earthquake all at the same time. Stuff will fail.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Hi,

We called the dealer and arranged to pick up a new 2019 Ram 3500 Diesel with the 68rfe and a Tradesman 2 package, spray-in liner and trailer brake controller, 12,300 GVWR. We are planning to get it tomorrow for purpose of pulling an RV. Mostly likely a 5th wheel. It will be our first diesel, our first 3/4 or 1 ton, and eventually our first RV. Total noobs.

A couple of questions:

The truck does not have the 5th wheel prep and the dealer said they could not add that. :-( I know a 5th wheel hitch can be added, but the Ram system seems pretty slick. Any thoughts?

The truck does not have an engine block heater and will be operated in the Rocky Mtn. region in winter. For all I know, we might want to do a Northern Lights trip at some point, meaning northern BC in the winter for a few days. Dealer said they could not add that either. I was astounded. Is it a big deal to add that to this vehicle? The dealer said the vehicle is rated to -20 F without a block heater. True?

Anything else we should know?

Thanks!

Jan
Got to another dealership. If that dealer can't satisfy the buyer then find one that will.

Blue Mule

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The factory 5th wheel group can most certainly be added after the fact. Don't know why the dealer said it can't? Sounds like they are too lazy to do it? With that said there are other options such as mentioned (B&W). Also, I would decide on what RV you want Before you add the hitch. The RV may dictate which hitch type and brand will work best for you.

All Ram Diesels come with the block heater, just some do not have the cord which is easy enough to add for $20. This dealer sound very mis-informed about the trucks they sell?

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/heater-cable-fl/winter

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Find another dealer that is willing to do the work. Both can be added. The 5th wheel package will have 2 extra holes drilled.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
First find another dealer 2nd enjoy new ram

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Find another dealer. Block heater is already there, just needs the cord. 5th wheel can also be added

OP
OP
J

JanB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel w/68rfe
Thanks guys! Good to know about the block heater being there. I put the cord and and a finish plug in my cart on Amazon. Video shows it's simple.

I had seen the B&W Companion with the puck for the Ram, but I had thought that it required the Ram 5'er Prep to attach to. They have the other system with turnaround gooseneck ball and hitch to fit on that, but I hadn't seen that they have a puck undermount. I guess I'll look some more.

Yeah, it's clear from the video that dealers can add the 5'er prep... Maybe I'll call around.

Really appreciate the help!

Jan