Odd battery / 7-pin question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkarnes87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I take a travel trailer out camping often. I have Wi-Fi in my truck, and would like to use it since sometimes campground Wi-Fi is spotty. I know the only way to do this is with the truck in the ON or ACC position, but I don’t want to waste gas or kill my truck battery.
I’m wondering - if I keep my truck plugged into the trailer via 7-pin, and the trailer plugged into shore power, will that 7 pin connection keep my truck battery charged? I’m also thinking I could keep jumper cables connected between the house battery on the trailer and the Truck battery, but I think that could look a bit trashy and may cause issues.
Any thoughts here?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Or buy a small battery charger like the Nico Genius 10 that has a 12V supply mode and just plug the truck in:

The +12V pin on the trailer plug is fuse from the battery at 30 amps. So it is possible to back feed from your trailer provided the trailer doesn't isolate that wire from back feeding. Check to see if that pin stays hot(+12V) on the trailer side when the shore power is on.