Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Outer Wear on Left Rear Tire & Vibration ...

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Ox1500Sport, Jun 29, 2020.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. Ox1500Sport

Ox1500Sport Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    So ever since I replaced the OE Goodyear Wrangler's, I've had a vibration. Even after I had the new tires balanced three different times by three different shops. Eventually, I just got use to it. Now, after 26k miles on the 2nd set, I'm seeing an odd wear pattern .. particularly on the outer tread of the left rear tire. The truck tracks fine and I detect no out-of-alignment issues.

Some pictures & "data" will follow ~ but, wondering if anyone else has had this issue or may have insight on what's going on.

Facts
    - 2014 Ram Crew Cab 4X4 w/ 3.92 Rear ~ approaching 60k miles
    - OE Tires, Goodyear Wranglers, changed at 33k ~ went back with the Wranglers for the 2nd set. No unusual wear patterns on first set of Wranglers.
    - Factory wheel weights (tire balance) were stick on's placed close to the spokes inside the rims. There were also clamp weights on the inner rim lip.
    - Tire shop tried to follow the factory method with the weights, but loaded up on the stick on's much more so than the factory ~ claiming necessity. I had a vibration.
    - Took to tire shop #2 for a road-force balance ... they placed stick on's centered on the inner rim. I had a vibration.
    - Took to tire shop #3 and had all four tires balanced again ... stick on's placed centered on the inner rim ... vibration still there. Tire shop says I have a bad tire & sells me a new tire. Vibration still there. Tire shop then says I have a bent rim. I said the hell with it.
    - 26k miles later, odd wear pattern on outer tread of left rear tire .... I rotate every 7,500 miles & run the door jamb tire pressures.

Left Rear Tire (slick outer thread):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Front Tire (for comparison)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  2. TRAXX

TRAXX Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    After you rotate the tires, does the vibration move? So just this one tire that has that outer wear pattern? Could be a bad tire. It happens, of course they will try to blame that your truck did it. If they claim the rim is bent Id ask to physically see the proof. I have never been a fan of Goodyear tires. I switched to Michelin's and have been quite happy.

RodeoRam likes this.
  3. ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Only one rear does that ? or both rears ? wearing down both edges like that is typically the result of running your tires under inflated.

huntergreen, U&A and indept like this.
  4. U&A

U&A Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 3500 SRW
    Engine:
    6.4 HEMI
    Looks like BOTH inner and outer shoulders of the tire or wearing. Cannot see how that would be an issue with your truck if it’s inner and outer like that. I’m going with either improper inflation or a bad tire.

One side of the other only would definitely make you think there there’s an issue with the truck.

In my opinion good years in general or junk.

Quite a few people also have that belief.
    These guys may also be able to
    @Burla
    @Hemi395
    @AFMoulton
    @RLK

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM

huntergreen likes this.
  5. Ox1500Sport

Ox1500Sport Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Vibration seems to stay in the rear ... nothing felt in the steering, more of a "seat of your pants" vibration. The rear tires show the outer wear much more so that the front's.

Seems the left rear is the most prevalent. I run the pressure around 42 PSI (39 PSI is the spec)

It seems more-so always on the left rear. What's odd is all was good on the first set of tires ... this came on only with the second set.

6. U&A

U&A Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 3500 SRW
    Engine:
    6.4 HEMI
    How old are the tires?

Under warranty?

If so, call good year, complaining like you never have before. Get new tires and find a good mechanic to check out your truck.

Without being there I don’t know how much I can help.

Still sounds like a tire problem to me

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM

7. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac There's no education in the second kick of a mule. Military

Ram Year:
    2018 1500 Laramie
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoBurner
    Find a buddy with the same bolt pattern and swap wheels/tires with him then go for a ride. If the vibes are still there then it's the truck, not the wheels/tires.

8. ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Do you have a lot of weight in the back of the truck ? prob more on that side where the tire is wearing down like that ? I was at shop today and they had these pictures with tire patterns and wear and the one that looked like yours had these indications as possible root cause: under inflated tire, undersized or too much load.
    Hope it helps.

U&A likes this.
  9. dexter

dexter Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
    Engine:
    6.4L

Vibration - bearing
    wear - alignment

10. tron67j

tron67j Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    Reading through your post, you already replaced the suspect tire and still have the problem. Since it only started after replacing tire the first time and remained despite repeated balancing of tires and replacing one, it would appear the problem is suspension related. Perhaps something broke when truck was raised to replace tires, maybe something in the hub was misaligned due to taking tire off and no one is catching it. Again, replacing tire didn't fix it, you need to start looking elsewhere. And also as Ram1509rsm said, weight could be causing issue. Do you have tool boxes, etc. in back on a regular basis?