Odd vibration from an odd but found source (4th gen, but looking for a wider response source)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have posted this under the 4th Gen section, but I am trying to expand my information/responses, to see if this is a RAM problem irrespective of generation.

I have found out something I am curious about, and wanted to ask other RAM owners about, and also if you have other generation MOPAR trucks or even non-MOPAR but with a similar body design.

Here is what is happening. My Dad (who also has a 4th Gen) was taking me to pick up my Warlock from an oil change, and he showed me something very odd. His is a '17 RAM 4x4 Quad Cab with a 345 Hemi, as far as I know, everything stock on it, no suspension upgrade, stock size wheels and tires, etc. While driving along, he rolled down just the back 2 windows, and there started being a bad vibration. He was going about 40 at the time, and the faster he went, the worse the shaking/vibration/sound got. It got so bad as to make our ears feel all stuffed up, like when you change elevation drastically. Rolling up the windows made the "problem" go away. Rolling them down again, it came back.

Now, I have tried the following on my truck. I do not know if it would have done the same with his. Presumably yes, because it is also a 4th Gen.

'21 Warlock, 4x4 Quad Cab with 345 Hemi, and the only change I made (so far) was an aftermarket K&N filter, and stock style, but blacked out lug nuts. Nothing that should change the operation that drastically.

I did the same test as he showed me, rolled down just the back windows, and the vibration started in. It starts about 40 or so, just like on his, and accelerating up to highway speeds, it keeps going. I had it up to 80 or so on the highway, but that section was being worked on, and was really rough. Couldn't tell if it was still there or not. But around town, it definitely was. Tried starting out with just the rear windows rolled down, and with the vibration happening, and then rolled down one of the fronts, and the vibration went away immediately. Didn't matter which side. Rolling up one of the rear windows also made the vibration go away.

Anyone else notice this? Or if not, could you try it next time you think of it and let me know what happens? Especially if you are in a different mfg/style truck, like on a RAM Crew Cab, 4th or 5th Gen.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
W

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright, thanks to everybodyfor the feedback. I have been in 4 door vehicles before, and do not remember this happening. But then, most of the time 1 or more of the front windows were usually down if we had people in the back and they rolled them down as well.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think I have been in any modern 4 door vehicle that it hasn't done that.
Since automakers have started paying attention to aerodynamics for mpg gains, that "problem" has been pretty standard on the vast majority of vehicles.
The vehicles are designed to cut through the air with as little resistance as possible and the air just hugs the body vs. being pushed away as you blast through the air in vehicles of yesteryear.
Opening 1 rear window is usually worse than opening both, so I open 1 front on the opposite side of the opened rear or open the rear slider.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you like to drive with the windows down a little bit, installing the side window deflectors/shades/vents will allow you to drive with the window down up to a couple of inches and keep a quiet cab.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's just aerodynamics and known as buffeting, as mentioned. As the wind passes by the windows it pumps in and out and makes that head pounding sound.

Just need to open another window so the wind flows and doesn't just oscillate.

PS - I think I've read about it in vehicle manuals before. Dealers likely tired of explaining it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
When our Wiener dog is with us , he likes to lower the rear windows down himself to stick his head out lol ... that is one head pounding sound and it freaks him out too lol ... but yes it's the air not able to circulate correctly

Michiman1966

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have posted this under the 4th Gen section, but I am trying to expand my information/responses, to see if this is a RAM problem irrespective of generation.

I have found out something I am curious about, and wanted to ask other RAM owners about, and also if you have other generation MOPAR trucks or even non-MOPAR but with a similar body design.

Here is what is happening. My Dad (who also has a 4th Gen) was taking me to pick up my Warlock from an oil change, and he showed me something very odd. His is a '17 RAM 4x4 Quad Cab with a 345 Hemi, as far as I know, everything stock on it, no suspension upgrade, stock size wheels and tires, etc. While driving along, he rolled down just the back 2 windows, and there started being a bad vibration. He was going about 40 at the time, and the faster he went, the worse the shaking/vibration/sound got. It got so bad as to make our ears feel all stuffed up, like when you change elevation drastically. Rolling up the windows made the "problem" go away. Rolling them down again, it came back.

Now, I have tried the following on my truck. I do not know if it would have done the same with his. Presumably yes, because it is also a 4th Gen.

'21 Warlock, 4x4 Quad Cab with 345 Hemi, and the only change I made (so far) was an aftermarket K&N filter, and stock style, but blacked out lug nuts. Nothing that should change the operation that drastically.

I did the same test as he showed me, rolled down just the back windows, and the vibration started in. It starts about 40 or so, just like on his, and accelerating up to highway speeds, it keeps going. I had it up to 80 or so on the highway, but that section was being worked on, and was really rough. Couldn't tell if it was still there or not. But around town, it definitely was. Tried starting out with just the rear windows rolled down, and with the vibration happening, and then rolled down one of the fronts, and the vibration went away immediately. Didn't matter which side. Rolling up one of the rear windows also made the vibration go away.

Anyone else notice this? Or if not, could you try it next time you think of it and let me know what happens? Especially if you are in a different mfg/style truck, like on a RAM Crew Cab, 4th or 5th Gen.

Thanks in advance.
Yes sir I have a 2007 Ram it does that also with mine always has done that yes vibration in the back windows are rolled down..

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's referred to as 'wind buffering' and is very common as heefageLA stated.

Crack a front window, even 1/2-in, and it stops. All my 4-door cars have done it, and even a few 2-dr cars do it with the right crosswind.
Yep open the fronts

cluv67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Thanks in advance.
Buffering is the sound your are hearing

OP
OP
W

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks again for the continued input. At least I know it is not something "broken" on the trucks, well, at least a "design problem" and not something I need to repair.

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I had a 2003 Ram 3500 dually that did NOT have that problem, however my 2019 (nice radio w/Nav but a basic truck) did. I really thought it was going to pull me off the road it was so bad. After it happened, I showed everyone in the family what happens so they wouldn't get freaked out if it happened to them while using my truck. I hated it and is one of the main reasons I got rid of the truck. I don't know if my new 2022 Ram 3500 Laramie does it but it's such perfection in a truck, I will overlook it.

djmjr77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I have a 2022 extended cab for a loaner while mine is in the shop, and I was surprised that it had really bad buffeting with just the driver window down..
It's annoying but it happens in almost every 4 door vehicle to some extent, car or truck
The sucky but only answer is "don't do that" .. lol

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Older cars didn't do this. My theory is that older cars broke up the wind a lot more because they were so much less aerodynamic. Since the air flow was already disturbed, opening a window didn't make much of a difference. Never vehicles are designed for much better airflow for better fuel economy. Opening up a window messes with that airflow and buffeting can happen.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I use it to wake up the wife on a road trips hehehehe