OEM Replacement Windshield Tint Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Just had my 2020 RAM 1500 windshield replaced due to a crack up behind the rear view mirror. Got the OEM RAM logo replacement windshield installed - SAFElite did a nice job, no complaints. However, the glass tint on the replacement unit looks lighter than the original windshield. Did not need sunglasses with the original windshield, but driving home yesterday, after the replacement unit was installed, I did need my sunglasses for the first time. Will the tint darken up some with sun exposure or are replacement units just not as dark as the original? Or am I just mistaken and it’s all in my head? Thanks.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I would call SAFElite and ask them. They will have a lot better chance of knowing the answer than asking on here. Let us know what they say please.

OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Well, I called SAFElite and was connected to their national CS folks. Those folks really couldn’t answer my question. Best they could offer is that the replacement glass is the factory glass - doesn’t answer my question.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They claim it's factory glass, does that mean it's MOPAR glass or a factory fit replacement? if it's actual factory MOPAR glass I believe it would have the RAM logo in the right corner and a MOPAR part number or something to identify it as such.

OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Yes, It is MOPAR glass. Ram logo and PN in the correct corners. I inspected it prior to install just to make sure it was MOPAR/OEM. Like transitional glass lens, does it take some time, does new windshield require UV exposure to darken up?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Ok. Guess no one knows or has any thoughts ……
thanks anyway……

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A windshield isn't going to darken over time. There might be some anti-uv coating/layer in the windshield but that's not going to make a visible light difference where you won't need sunglasses.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has pits in it from driving close to others maybe you thought it had tint but was beat up. Maybe the new one is like having perfect glass.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just had my 2020 RAM 1500 windshield replaced due to a crack up behind the rear view mirror. Got the OEM RAM logo replacement windshield installed - SAFElite did a nice job, no complaints. However, the glass tint on the replacement unit looks lighter than the original windshield. Did not need sunglasses with the original windshield, but driving home yesterday, after the replacement unit was installed, I did need my sunglasses for the first time. Will the tint darken up some with sun exposure or are replacement units just not as dark as the original? Or am I just mistaken and it’s all in my head? Thanks.

I'm not sure about the tint differences, I was under the impression that the OEM Ram Mopar windshield has no tint at all. Some manufactures, like Range Rover, include a tint in their OEM glass, but I am not aware Ram does at all. You can solve this issue just by adding a tint film. I don't understand how people even drive cars without window tints. It decreases UV light, keeps the cabin cooler and makes it so you don't have as much of a need for sunglasses on sunnier days. To me, it's a no brainer, but I realize it's not for everybody.

My windshield cracked on my 2020 and I got a replacement, but I did not go with the Mopar OEM, I just got the aftermarket one that does not have the logo on it for half the price. There is no meaningful difference in aftermarket vs mopar glass except for the logo, it's just the name and logo you're paying for. In any event, I did not notice any difference, that new windshield looked completely clear with no factory tint on the glass.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I can tell you for sure, all glass is not made the same. I've replaced more windshields in two years than most will replace in a lifetime. I used to commute 120 miles a day through a route that had gravel tucks and I'd lose one on average every 1 1/2 months. Thanks gawd my insurance had a windshield clause! I've seen windshields that are poor fitting, thinner glass, visual imperfections too name a few. I've been using Safelite Auto Glass for years and it costs me nothing more for factory glass because my insurance allows it.

My tint guy has a display he made that has three different windshields on it. Clear glass, UV glass and factory tinted UV glass to which he applied various shades of tint. When I did this truck I asked about tint on the windshield and he stated you have factory tinted UV glass so there's really no benefit other than glare or looks. I didn't realize the glass was tinted either, yet i can see the difference when comparing on his display.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Suppliers change. The parts installed may not be the exact same as when your truck went through the assembly line.

Part numbers change (...A goes to ...B goes to...) as specs change or suppliers change. What you have, while the OEM part, is not the same batch that your truck came with. Small differences will be noticeable but that's the nature of the beast. Sometimes it's better and sometimes it's not.