Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Express ST
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello, I bought a 2012 Ram 1500 Express in November of 2012 and last week the change oil notification came on 1500 miles short of the owners manual recommendation milage of 8000 miles, so I decided to change it myself so I went out to autozone and got Mobil 5-20 oil and a Mobil filter and I changed it. Tonight one of my relatives said that I voided the warranty by changing it myself. My question is that if something happens to my engine will the warranty not cover it because I changed the oil myself? (P.S. I have the lifetime warranty by paying extra.) Thank you.

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
No it doesn't void your warranty. Just keep a record that you changed it and at what mileage, and what you used

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No voided warranty, keep the maitinance log, and your recipts for the oil and filter, you should be fine.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is your relative's opinion which keeps dealers happy.
Your truck calculates when it needs an oil change based on driving habits, conditions, etc. The only thing which could easily lead to voiding your warranty might be ignoring the message and waiting the # of miles stated in the manual.
Many of us change the oil far sooner than either the truck or manual call for, but never go over.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep a log, and keep your receipts. I would have changed earlier, but that's just me. You voided your warranty by going over the time interval. The manual states: EVIC, 8000mi, OR every 6 months -- whichever comes first. You went over by 1 month. :)

After broke in, I actually do change every 6 months. That's typically 5-6K mi for me.

OP
OP
A

Arno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Express ST
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you for all the answers, it really helped me clear things up.