Oil drain plug can’t come off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliBear490

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I have a 2011 ram with the 4.7 engine. I had the engine swapped out a couple months ago with what I was told was from another ram truck.

So now today I go to change the oil, only to see that the frame is right below the drain plug. So I wasn’t able to use a socket and used a wrench to loosen it up. HOWEVER, it only gets loose to a certain point until it hits the frame and can’t come off completely. Oil barely drips out.

My question is, is there a solution to this or am I just SOL?

Attachments

• BF060F15-738A-4F7F-AA44-4809FEB24FBC.png
    BF060F15-738A-4F7F-AA44-4809FEB24FBC.png
    692.5 KB · Views: 61

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just throwing ideas here:

Is that frame piece joined, or say go to each side and attached by bolts, or is it a solid welded piece? Pics not show. Was the same size engine put in, or is it a different size? Did U have any issues on engine that was there ref draining oil?

Other option get another drain pan with different location or you can get a dorman part (another drain), drop the existing pan and put a drain at another location.

OP
OP
C

CaliBear490

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Is that frame piece joined, or say go to each side and attached by bolts, or is it a solid welded piece? Pics not show. Was the same size engine put in, or is it a different size? Did U have any issues on engine that was there ref draining oil?

Other option get another drain pan with different location or you can get a dorman part (another drain), drop the existing pan and put a drain at another location.
The frame piece is welded on each side. The engine is the same size engine, the 4.7 magnum, I had it swapped because original had bad bearings. I’m thinking getting another drain pan may be the best option.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you buy the engine or did the shop ?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Or get one of those machines that suck out the oil from the dipstick tube ?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
So, I have a 2011 ram with the 4.7 engine. I had the engine swapped out a couple months ago with what I was told was from another ram truck.

So now today I go to change the oil, only to see that the frame is right below the drain plug. So I wasn’t able to use a socket and used a wrench to loosen it up. HOWEVER, it only gets loose to a certain point until it hits the frame and can’t come off completely. Oil barely drips out.

My question is, is there a solution to this or am I just SOL?

Maybe look into replacing it with one of these if it will fit

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The engine was purchased from LKQ and a local shop did the swap
I would take it back to that shop. I feel that should have been something they would notice and bring it rlto your attention. I would see what they can do about swapping the pan or installing a drain if it would clear the crossmember.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I would take it back to that shop. I feel that should have been something they would notice and bring it rlto your attention. I would see what they can do about swapping the pan or installing a drain if it would clear the crossmember.
spot on!!! Shody work at best, they need to fix this for you.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Id be at the shop already before id be posting pictures on the internet, raise some hell down there or better yet ask them to change your oil and see what they say
Good one!!! Love it. Would be a riot to see the look on their faces when they try to change the oil.

bpgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like many have said, i would take it back to the shop that did the swap to find a permanent solution.

But, if youre in a pinch, see if you can loosen one of the motor mounts and jack the engine up a bit from underneath with a hydraulic jack and some wood blocks, or on top with an engine hoist. See if you can find some spots to support it with a jackstand after you lift the engine as well since you cant fully trust hydraulic jacks. If i still had my truck, i'd be able to provide more detail, but i think you understand the concept
This sounds sketchy, but you did ask for possible solutions. Proceed at your own risk, and good luck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I bought the engine. They said it was from a 2010 ram when I purchased it.
If the engine is from another Ram,that makes me wonder if there might be a differance in the 4.7's oilpans between a 4X4 truck and a 2 wheel drive truck.I've never looked into the 4.7's oilpans,but it might be worth researching them to see if there is a differance

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If the engine is from another Ram,that makes me wonder if there might be a differance in the 4.7's oilpans between a 4X4 truck and a 2 wheel drive truck.I've never looked into the 4.7's oilpans,but it might be worth researching them to see if there is a differance
This was my first thought as well.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I'm trying to figure out what that pan is out of. Can you post another pic maybe zoomed out a bit.
This is the pan that's supposed to be on it according to Mopar parts site. Maybe they got the engine out of a Dakota.
20221023_203406.jpg

tourqued

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I am not clear either is that a frame part?
Or what?
If it is a what, I will assume you can cut and or grind a 1/2 moon in it.
Or change out the pan.
personally I am pretty sure I would have moon it and make the edges all really smooooth