Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for checking those though...

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Why, when I go to Summit Racing to order the RP 20-820 filter for my 2023 Limited 5.7, does it say it doesn’t fit my truck? Has there been some change that further limits clearance or is this just BS? What am I missing?

View attachment 529892

It'll fit ... it's just a tighter fit due to the "oil cooler/heater" that was added~2013? on the 5.7 HEMI 1500 that reduces the clearance between the engine and cross frame support and to resolve that the engineers came up with an smaller oil filter to resolve that matter, don't know about the 6.4 HEMI in the 2500/3500.

Some folks stated the "larger" factory oil filter, MOPAR 899(Royal Purple 20-820), wouldn't fit due to the added electric power assist steering and the oil cooler/heater compromises to be able to fit it in place ... ? idk.

I have an 2017 HEMI 1500 and in the owners manual has it listed to use the small oil filter MO 339, however, I use the larger filter(s) (Royal Purple 20-820)for peace of mind and it fits ... just a little tighter to put on and take off ... I'm still considering an oil filter relocation kit that'll take the same larger oil filter with no issues, that'll surely be a good upgrade ... just ait decided on what brand/type.

Good luck and happy motoring.

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
You are miss using your tv man, if yesterday xfinity race means anything that channel should be on martinsville cup race. No refs to ruin the game like we see in every nfl game this year. I like my sports to use oil filters, just say'n

Cowboys are blowing out rams, they didnt need those two calls one for and one against both on cowboys side in the first two drives, I am over this garbage. And I even have the cowboys on my pick, I just hate ref ruined games even if it is in my favor.

"Roll, Tide Roll !!!"

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Oh, NFL ... I do not watch anymore, but I've been an Eagles/Alabama fan from the time my family came back the states from Japan back in 1970 ...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It'll fit ... it's just a tighter fit due to the "oil cooler/heater" that was added~2013? on 5.7 HEMI 1500 reduces the clearance between the engine and cross frame support and to resolve that the engineers came up with an smaller oil filter to resolve that matter, don't know about the 6.4 HEMI in the 2500/3500.

Some folks stated the "larger" factory oil filter, MOPAR 899(Royal Purple 20-820), wouldn't fit due to the added electric power assist steering and the oil cooler/heater compromises to be able to fit it in place ... ? idk.

I have an 2017 HEMI 1500 and in the owners manual has it listed to use the small oil filter MO 339, however, I use the larger filter(s) (Royal Purple 20-820)for peace of mind and it fits ... just a little tighter to put on and take off ... I'm still considering an oil filter relocation kit that'll take the same larger oil filter with no issues, that'll surely be a good upgrade ... just ait decided on what brand/type.

Good luck and happy motoring.
I'd go with a relocation kit that lets you use the older style 3/4-16 thread pitch filters (aka the old style PH8A filters),there's a way better selection of bigger filters in the older 3/4-16 filters.
Hard to tell in this pic,but the filters on my Transdapt kit,are a hell'va lot bigger filter then what you can get in the 22mm-1.5 thread pitch filters.
I'm no fan of the Pacbrake kit after getting a close up look at one awhile ago,the only advantage it has is the pre-made hoses,but any farm implement shop can build you comparable hoses.

Attachments

• DSCN4954.JPG
    DSCN4954.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 13

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I'd go with a relocation kit that lets you use the older style 3/4-16 thread pitch filters (aka the old style PH8A filters),there's a way better selection of bigger filters in the older 3/4-16 filters.
Hard to tell in this pic,but the filters on my Transdapt kit,are a hell'va lot bigger filter then what you can get in the 22mm-1.5 thread pitch filters.
I'm no fan old the pacbrake kit after getting a close up look at one awhile ago,the only advantage it has is the pre-made hoses,but any farm implement shop can build you comparable hoses.

Yeh, thanks for that. I like the duel oil filter relocation setup that you have ... just a single oil filter will be good for my HEMI, it's just an daily driver with an occasional kick in the ass to blow out the "cobb webbs, lol.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yeh, thanks for that. I like the duel oil filter relocation setup that you have ... just a single oil filter will be good for my HEMI, it's just an daily driver with an occasional kick in the ass to blow out the "cobb webbs, lol.
The 90* elbows on the Pacbrake kit reduced the oil pressure on my rig by about 4PSI average. I decided that was too much to give up. There are 4 elbows all told.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
The 90* elbows on the Pacbrake kit reduced the oil pressure on my rig by about 4PSI average. I decided that was too much to give up. There are 4 elbows all told.

Yep, thanks for that. I remember reading your posts ... the setup that Rick has(@Wild one)is a much better setup, even $$$ wise.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you have it apart,i'd also take a die grinder to it and round off every sharp corner you can get at with a carbide bit,followed up with a sanding cartridge roll.For the price of the Pacbrake kit,you'd think they'd be able to program the CNC cutter to at least round off the edges of the passages

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
If you have it apart,i'd also take a die grinder to it and round off every sharp corner you can get at with a carbide bit,followed up with a sanding cartridge roll.For the price of the Pacbrake kit,you'd think they'd be able to program the CNC cutter to at least round off the edges of the passages

You'd think for the money that that Packbrake would have already thought/corrected that for smoother oil flow.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I'm no fan of the Pacbrake kit after getting a close up look at one awhile ago,the only advantage it has is the pre-made hoses,but any farm implement shop can build you comparable hoses.

Are those Royal Purple oil filters your using equivalent to the old school large oil filter(s)?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Are those Royal Purple oil filters your using equivalent to the old school large oil filter(s)?
Yup they're basically the same as the old style Fram PH8A filters that Ma Mopar and Ford used for years.Beauty of them is you can get a PH8A style filter in the middle of nowhere :waytogo:

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks to jhoward we know the top 2 options still are rp and fram ultra (not fact just opinion based on what we know in the thread), now the other fram fe has a lot of promise, but does have lower number of holes. If the flow is the same despite the holes, it may even be better, we would need to see some paper or testing on that.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ok, so I got annoyed with Fram (again) and wrote them. See the transcript below. Their answers are becoming less complete and more evasive.

From what I can deduce, the Endurance design is top of the line. Notably, they no longer assign contaminant particle size with their filtration efficiency claim of 99%, rendering it meaningless. They used to claim 20 microns.

The Titanium design is a step down, using synthetic blended filter media instead of full synthetic in the Endurance design. However, they very clearly state this media is a "high flow" media, still claiming 99% efficiency, but again without an assigned contaminant particle size.

Their former top filter still exists, Ultra. Note they said nothing about it in their reply. They still advertise 99% efficiency from a synthetic blend media, and had assigned it at 20 microns in the past. Also notable is they do NOT say anything about flow capability, and we have seen oil filter flow tests showing this media is one of the more restrictive on the market.

Deductions: original premium oil filter Ultra XG is more flow restrictive than the two newer filters. This is a critical factor in helping lubricate marginally-lubricated Hemi engines, and I would recommend Fram Oil Filter users switch from Ultra XG to one of the two newer designs for this reason (Titanium or Endurance). Fortunately, they didn't switch the model number designations; the oversize that fits Hemi is still a "2" (XG2, FE2, etc.), the midsize for those that don't have room for the oversize is still 10060.

Correspondence:

Subject Product Information
Message: Hi, I need some help with oil filters for Ram Hemi engine. This engine is poorly lubricated and sensitive to cam failure. I use Fram Ultra XG, but now Titanium & Endurance were introduced. What's the differences?​

Hello Brian,

These are all premium filters but for differences I would look at these things.

The Endurance is our most durable oil filter optimized for use with synthetic oil to deliver 99% filtration efficiency. Designed with a heavy-duty shell and metal screen back construction in the fully synthetic filter media and maximum engine protection for 25,000 miles (40,000 kilometers).

The Titanium is a high-flow synthetic oil filter featuring premium synthetic blend media for over 99% dirt-trapping efficiency and provide proven protection for up to 20,000 miles (32,000 kilometers).

Thank you for contacting Fram​

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Rant Epilogue -

I contacted Fram again to followup. The claim is 99% efficiency still @ 20 micron contaminant particle size. I didn't go so far as to ask why they eliminate this from their advertising. Suspicious.

The rep. stated they have not changed Ultra XG except to go from a single fold synthetic media to a dual fold, different density, synthetic medias (plural).

We do know that while this media has high filtration efficiency AND capacity, it is flow restrictive from tests we've seen.

My recommendation remains, switch to Fram Titanium or Fram Endurance, for those with Hemi engines and can't get Royal Purple Oil Filters for whatever reasons.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trying to read the entire thread RP 10-48 or the XG2. Either substantially better than the other ? 22 Laramie 5.7 23k miles. New to me first oil change

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
10-48 is the smaller, xg2 is the larger, you need to compare the 20-820 rp with is the larger. They seam to be one two in our two known tests, cant go wrong either way.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
10060 is the mid size for those of us with different filter plumbing where the XG2 and 20-820 won't fit. I'm not the only one!
ha ha

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
10-48 it is, want to make sure it fits. RP oil or PUP ? Either should be good correct? Again, trying to look like I am working while researching !!!!