Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
HEMI VVT 5.7 with MDS uses oil because of cylinder deactivation at RPM increase while in ECO mode but from my experience no more than 1/2 a quart at around 3 months.
If you drive more with the MDS in ECO mode I would suspect you could theoretically use more oil
I use RP 5/20 with a K&N silver.

I never use MDS, I just lost oil while swapping out the filter.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Looking back at the amsoil warning a couple things stick out, one it is for 2013 trucks and up, meaning the 10-48 rp size, which I'm not sure why anyone would use anyway?

Now, they also say temporary and it is fairly recent, so why temporary? Maybe the latest version, and there was one, has less flow or a different bypass. I had a low restriction filter and it was deadly to my truck, made it tick, and it was puro boss old style, so does it makes a difference? heck yeah it does, this rams are so finicky pay attention. All that was needed that time was a filter change and my truck no longer ticked. When you look at the why, you see the puro boss back then had a very few holes to let oil through. It had nothing to do with the media. I think most filters have went to cheese grater design, which appears to have zero issues with flow.

What once worked on older vehicles sometimes doesn't work on vehicles of today. It is an argument FOR low weight oil though, something for some people to consider.

old rp 20-820 versus old puro synthetic pre-boss.

16618148574_b2909b4126_c.jpg

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Would you be worried with those PSI's I'm seeing? Should I order another RP asap or just ride the fram until my next oil change (in spring)?
I wouldn't be worried, mine in a warm state has always been 55psi cold, in the cold 5psi higher very normal. If you were worried you could try different oil weights and/or different filters, and see if you can get it down, usually going down in oil weight goes down in psi by 2, which in turn and theory lessons metal protection. It is always a trade off, but finding the perfect balance is hugely important for hemi's as we all know. I'd let engine noises alert me to when I need a change and not some random psi reading.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Wish there was an oil filter designer on here.

There was a Fram Rep. on BITOG for years with avatar "MOTORKING". That guy was really helpful.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does the Fram XG Ultra Synthetic do? I had to grab this for my wife’s 2018 Yukon as RP filters were not available from The place I normally buy them from.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How does the Fram XG Ultra Synthetic do? I had to grab this for my wife’s 2018 Yukon as RP filters were not available from The place I normally buy them from.
I'm not sure the verdict is in yet, there was a change it went away from the old media and metal cage, to some newer technology they "say" is better performing. That issue is so large imo perhaps deserves a thread of it's own with poll, just for fram synthetic as it seams to be the one filter people can get and with all the effort I'd bet fram will have an ongoing commitment to it.

Plus as we have seen RP filters continue to change as well, and it sometimes in stock sometimes not. Just like oil, oil filters continue to change. I like my strategy, when I was satisfied I bought twenty RP filters and treated the rubber with silicone. Something to consider for everyone.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Oh, this is good fellas. Finally we get some answers wix xp versus 20-820 plus we get a new player to the field. Mind you this is rp 20-500, so they didnt test my favorite 20-820, but pretty good info regardless... So apparently there is a place where you can send filters to kinda like a voa. Don't know nothing about this place, just say these posted.

I have posted 1,000 times the difference between wix xp and rp, rp thick loose, wix xp tight and thin, well what a huge difference? I wont ever buy wix xp again, and yes I bought one for my transmission.

I'm eating popcorn, what you guys have to say?

51876124149_fc895001db_c.jpg
51874844357_fc4c65fcf6_z.jpg

51875883918_4732e1ed61_z.jpg

51875884368_244b98a2e7_z.jpg

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
wow wow wow wow wow! Where'd you get ahold of this data, @Burla ?

Is this 'new & improved' Fram Ultra Synthetic XG? It shows best combo of efficiency AND dirt holding capacity. Better than RP!
man I have to give up my sources, lol?

The one place I hate to admit I got it, that should give you a hint. It was in the thread about the amsoil data bulletin on ram trucks.

Very impressive fram ultra against the 500, don't know about the 820, but perhaps similar. Either way, both filters look great just like the GM test showed as well.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The second one could possibly really help us in choosing filters with psi, I would like to see the rp 500 you like versus the 820. I'm not sure which value is most desirable, the RP is very different then all others, maybe that means not as good, I don't know how to read that. I want to see what that place says on it. heres their website.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
man I have to give up my sources, lol?

The one place I hate to admit I got it, that should give you a hint. It was in the thread about the amsoil data bulletin on ram trucks.

Very impressive fram ultra against the 500, don't know about the 820, but perhaps similar. Either way, both filters look great just like the GM test showed as well.
Ah...bito*...

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What's the Fram Ultra that corresponds to the larger RP 20-820?? (I know it's probly somewhere back in this thread, but I'm lazy)

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You know, it was always 'reported' (BITOG and elsewhere) Wix wasn't efficient for small particles, which of course cause the wear damage on tight machine surfaces. Well, if the data @Burla posted is accurate, that really shows up. It makes Wix nothing more than a rock catcher. Purolator, too.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
ac delco ultraguard 24 month unlimited miles warranty is the new player, something I never heard before and looks less then rp or fram ultra. By the looks of it, I'd run it. My wifes car gets fram ultra, after seeing this I will have to keep using that brand.

Octane

Reaction score
well, according to this the ac delco is cellulose, so scrap that. Cant be right to have a 2 year warranty on paper filter.
I run fram 10060 filters mostly.What is a good trans filter for a 65rfe? I put a factory spin on in my trans at last change.I assume it's a paper element

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I run fram 10060 filters mostly.What is a good trans filter for a 65rfe? I put a factory spin on in my trans at last change.I assume it's a paper element
I'm using RP 10-2867 next time, this time I used wix xp. Read that thread for more info and metal thread upgrade.