Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree RP 20-820 FILTER for me here on out ( only because it's larger ) , however the RP 10-48 FILTER is a fantastic choice as well !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
With tighter tolerances and the upcoming oil formulas designed to minimize additives in the combustion chamber, it could only serve owners well to have better filtration.

I think you mean crankcase. There should never be anything but air, fuel, and spark/fire in the combustion chamber... by design. That is why UCLs are a fuel additive.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think you mean crankcase. There should never be anything but air, fuel, and spark/fire in the combustion chamber... by design. That is why UCLs are a fuel additive.

No I meant combustion chamber, look up LSPI issue, oil is re burnt through combustion chamber and even a little contamination causes lspi. Thus the reason for low calcium oils.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Blow by and Venting via the PCV ends up in the intake plenum and ultimately in the combustion chamber.....better oil filtration would aid in less of any unwanted particals inside the combustion chamber .

I agree clean filtered fuel and air is all that should be in the combustion chamber , unfortunately with today's PCV sytem continuing to vent into the throttle body a lot of crap is ultimately burned during combustion .
This is why I run a quality OCC ...to help minimize the crud in my 5.7L air intake plenum / pre combustion chamber area .
I also run UCL in my gas tank to continue lubeing the upper cylinders.

Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
No I meant combustion chamber, look up LSPI issue, oil is re burnt through combustion chamber and even a little contamination causes lspi. Thus the reason for low calcium oils.

Blow by and Venting via the PCV ends up in the intake plenum and ultimately in the combustion chamber.....better oil filtration would aid in less of any unwanted particals inside the combustion chamber .

I agree clean filtered fuel and air is all that should be in the combustion chamber , unfortunately with today's PCV sytem continuing to vent into the throttle body a lot of crap is ultimately burned during combustion .
This is why I run a quality OCC ...to help minimize the crud in my 5.7L air intake plenum / pre combustion chamber area .
I also run UCL in my gas tank to continue lubeing the upper cylinders.

Yes, I am well aware of what LSPI is and how it occurs. Your post was about filtration, then about lowering the amount of calcium in oil formulation to combat LSPI. Obviously, the filter will not effect calcium levels. I do agree that you want the best filtration possible in any engine, but that won't have any effect on "additives" in the CC. Maybe you meant contamination vs oil additives such as calcium? If so, that would make sense.

I've been watching this LSPI phenomenon since 2011 when they first started publishing studies on it. Studies have shown that lubricants definitely do play a part in this, but changing formulations too much just to combat LSPI is playing with fire. It's more about temperature and pressure. Since discovering this "GDI" success, the auto industry has been a hot mess. The EPA is keeping their feet on the manufacturers' necks since they themselves have proven the ability to create more efficient cars is there.

In an attempt to capitalize on this new-found GDI discovery, they've found more hurdles than anticipated for sure. Oil is not the answer. It is a bandaid. While it can lower the number of LSPI occurrences, it is not the long-term cure. Right now, they are messing with oil formulations and spraying extra gas in the cylinders between strokes just to cool them down, which negates the whole reason for going GDI.

I think the cure will be in cam/valvetrain/ignition design changes, such as Mazda's SKYACTIV-X, which switches between gas and diesel technologies, or in a milder design change, VW's Budack cycle, which uses a scroll-type pin-actuated cam to adjust cam/valve timing and duration. It may be further down the line, but I think a KOENIGSEGG-like camless engine will ultimately see mainstream production in the next 5-10 years. It'll be interesting to watch how this all unfolds for sure.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Whatever, the only reason why lspi and calcium was brought up is because you asserted there was no reason to filter oil because it isn't burnt in combustion process which you were 100% wrong on, the high micron contamination can potentially do the same thing as the calcium, cause LSPI, the only point was to keep high micron contamination out of the oil is a good thing, especially with newer engines, but older ones as well. Not a very complicated premise.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Maybe a larger question would be why don't manufacturers embrace spun micro glass filters and have more of a concentration of filtration. With these full flow filters why not have two as an option, if not a very large one? With tighter tolerances and the upcoming oil formulas designed to minimize additives in the combustion chamber, it could only serve owners well to have better filtration.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Whatever, the only reason why lspi and calcium was brought up is because you asserted there was no reason to filter oil because it isn't burnt in combustion process which you were 100% wrong on, the high micron contamination can potentially do the same thing as the calcium, cause LSPI, the only point was to keep high micron contamination out of the oil is a good thing, especially with newer engines, but older ones as well. Not a very complicated premise.

You are getting a bit out over your skis there... Reread your own post above. I think you'll see that the context of what you conveyed had nothing to do with what you're spewing now. Maybe that's what you meant, but definitely not how it shook out. Please enlighten me as to how " ... the upcoming oil formulas [are] designed to minimize additives in the combustion chamber". Not just your opinion and fact-twisting, but preferably something from someone who actually knows their own ass from a hole in the ground. I'll be here.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
gibberish

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good Lord , don't f*** up this thread too ...[emoji36][emoji36]

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You two going to fight in every thread???

I have him on ignore again, that is it. it would be nice if you pay a little attention who is stalking and attacking whom, just say'n. My Pm is blowing up with guys wanting to know wtf is wrong that dude. Nobody would like being stalked and attacked ad naseum Smiley, why not ban the next one of us whoever it is that snips even an ounce. It wont be me.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've tried to PM both of you guys , but my PM doesn't seem to be working since the last update ? I also can't quote anyone , that makes it difficult to comment to a spacific post without it being confusing ...another thing is I can't edit my older post / threads since the update ????.. frustrating to say the least .
Also my profile changed completely as has everyone else's on Tapatalk , I can't see the Ram year or eng type on anyone and WTH is a trophy point ?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
We all think we know it all. Chances are good we only know a little. You both bring value to the threads but obviously your differences in oil brands is causing you to fight. Both of you should run Supertech and be nice.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Super tech for life.

Do I have to change my Avi? I just put up the purp

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Seriously stop fighting this place is supposed to be fun no politics, no fighting, and no name calling.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Also Redline and Amsoil are both expensive and benefits are not actually proven by any of us. The ticking is maybe quieter but we have seen failures with all oils am I right? So the RP filter is beautiful but maybe the Fram Ultra is great too.

There you go I have summarized our oil convos.