Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it doesnt have a screen, yes that would be great info for the forum.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Engine Oil Change 02-DEC-2021.jpg

OK, finally got around to winter oil change today. Second OCI with Red Line, 1st was 5W-30. Sending in Blackstone UOA. Used PUP 0W-40 prior. Intent of change is to prevent valve lifter roller failure.

Also, this is 1st use of Royal Purple Oil Filter for me on any engine. Regardless of the current hubub about Fram Ultra XG changing media, I'd always planned to change to Royal Purple #20-500 to obtain more media surface area (less oil flow resistance - not much concerned with greater contaminate trapping area). I wrote a long, rambling post of comparison earlier.

As some others have note, Royal Purple Oil Filters have a much higher EVIC Oil Pressure reading. We were debating why, and what it might mean, but kind of went around in circles on that. My EVIC Oil Pressure using Fram Ultra XG (original media) was 35 psi idle, 55 psi running, regardless of temperature or load.

EVIC now reads 55 psi @ idle - it's never done so before. Since the oil circuit is supposed constant volume, variable pressure, maybe it means oil is flowing freer downstream of the filter? Anyway, others report the same phenomenon.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We got hemimann on the RP's, hehe.

Interesting, so rp 20-500 starts psi at 55? Gonna go see what I get from my 20-820 right now. Not terribly cold, maybe 40f this morning, now in the 60's.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I've been googling articles. I did a complete set of antifreeze flow calculations for a US Navy Missile Launcher for anti-icing long ago, and it seemed simple then. For a constant flow variable pressure system, that is. I think I'm seeing that a higher downstream pressure using the same viscosity oil at the same temperature means that the pressure has moved downstream from the filter media to the machine. While the total SYSTEM flow rate would be the same at the end of the flow circuit, the flow rate would be higher up to the most restrictive point of the system, since it is no longer the oil filter.

Blah, blah blah........that means flow rate is higher throughout much of the engine. Which is good.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My starting psi is exactly 60psi redline 5w30 with 20-820 at about 50f oil temp, this is with idle kicked up cold start. Next time I go somewhere if I remember I will get warm idle psi.

bankshot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
For users of NAPA PLATINUM oil filters for the 5.7. I found two today, 47060, they cannot be located at any NAPA warehouse in the US according to the NAPA stores. Also unavailable at any of the stores. Just saying, if true , don’t know what the story is. If anyone knows, post it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I had to make an unexpected run across the metro today - a good time to check the EVIC Oil Pressure readings with the new Royal Purple 20-500 Oil Filter.

Ambient Temperature today was around 40 degrees F, warm for here this time of year. Starting up, EVIC Oil Pressure read 60 psi again @ high idle....never read this high using Fram Ultra XG. As stated above, not sure what this means.

With engine fully warmed up on the highway (app. 40 mile trip each way), EVIC Oil Pressure read 53 psi. This is definitely lower than with Fram Ultra XG, where it never varied from 55 psi.

At stoplight idle, EVIC Oil Pressure read 33 psi. This is also definitely lower than with Fram Ultra XG Oil Filter, where it never varied from 35 psi.

Before you say - wait! You changed oil vis from 5W-30 to 0W-30! I don't think that matters - oil pressure never varied using Fram Utra XG Oil Filter, regardless brand or viscosity of oil I used. Both PUP 0W-40 and Red Line 5W-30 produced the exact same EVIC Oil Pressure readings with the Fram Filter.

Ok - let the edumacated speculating commence...........:boxing:

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wow..... this is REALLY getting complicated! :Insane:

And to think that back in the day I used to just change my oil and filter every 3,000 miles and not worry about it. I had no idea what I was missing!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You're not going to believe this, but Engine Masters is testing oil filters in engine power sweeps right now on Motortrend Channel 883 (Comcast Xfinity)

End of Test Update:

K&N Gold Oil Filter wins the shootout test, in terms of highest oil flowrate through the new (clean) filter during engine speed sweep. Advertised filtration efficiency is 10 microns, but they didn't state what % filtered @ that size.

Also, the difference in flow oil flow rate through the clean filter medias was small, ranging from 7.2 gpm only up to 7.7 gpm. That's only a 7% difference in oil flow rates between all the filters tested. All 3 Fram Filters tested were on the low end of oil flow rate (regular, tough guard, extra guard).

Not sure how much contaminant an engine produces over time, but it would have been interesting to see how quickly each filled up.

Edit:
Royal Purple and Amsoil Oil Filters were not tested.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm thinking of getting a Fram Ultra XG10060 for my next oil change. Reason, it's cheap and I can get it on Amazon.ca. I did read through about 15 pages in this thread but was hoping some kind soul could just tell me; how does this compare to the RP 20-820? I know it has synthetic media, silicone adbv, is there anything negative about it? Maybe size/volume of filtering?

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm thinking of getting a Fram Ultra XG10060 for my next oil change. Reason, it's cheap and I can get it on Amazon.ca. I did read through about 15 pages in this thread but was hoping some kind soul could just tell me; how does this compare to the RP 20-820? I know it has synthetic media, silicone adbv, is there anything negative about it? Maybe size/volume of filtering?
Ive never used a RP filter, Im pretty much a fram lifer. In Canada its by far the best deal for syn media high quality filter. on my 06 I ran the xg16 for years with extended filter changes
on my new 21 ram i put a xg10060 on with the first oil/filter change but I have an xg2 (the bigger can) waiting to go on for my yearly filter change coming up soon. will have 30k kms on the filter dont even think about it at night lol
I do however change the oil religiously at 6 to 7k kms

so yes I highly recommend

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Did you read my volumetric comparison post? And my post from Fram what their new design filtration media is?
Those two posts answer your questions.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you read my volumetric comparison post? And my post from Fram what their new design filtration media is?
Those two posts answer your questions.

I don't believe so, there are 90 pages in this thread and I quit after the first few. If you posted something after that in the time that I"ve been on this forum, then I probably did read it back then but I don't remember anything in particular.

Edit: nevermind, read back a few pages and found what you guys discussed there. Guess I'll stick with RP for now then.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You're not going to believe this, but Engine Masters is testing oil filters in engine power sweeps right now on Motortrend Channel 883 (Comcast Xfinity)

End of Test Update:

K&N Gold Oil Filter wins the shootout test, in terms of highest oil flowrate through the new (clean) filter during engine speed sweep. Advertised filtration efficiency is 10 microns, but they didn't state what % filtered @ that size.

Also, the difference in flow oil flow rate through the clean filter medias was small, ranging from 7.2 gpm only up to 7.7 gpm. That's only a 7% difference in oil flow rates between all the filters tested. All 3 Fram Filters tested were on the low end of oil flow rate (regular, tough guard, extra guard).

Not sure how much contaminant an engine produces over time, but it would have been interesting to see how quickly each filled up.

Edit:
Royal Purple and Amsoil Oil Filters were not tested.
Did they test what is the point when cellulose turns into carb board from heat cycles? We know spun microglass will outlast any oil, I'm not sure the reason to consider paper unless you are on a less then 3 mos interval with less then 3k miles. Every paper filter I took off my ram from transmission to engine oil filter the media was simply stiff as a board, even at 5k miles.

Let's face it the information age is dead, the search for the perfect products is long dead. The PR and Marketing arms of everything from the gov't to the car manu's, it is in none of their interest in keeping engines running smoothly and lasting a long time. Until I see an unbiased test similar to the GM test that also includes lifespans of media and testing all available filters including the best ones made, then I'm not impressed. Flow rates is a good feature, but they couldnt even do that right by omitting filters that we know are full flow. I will stick with what we know about the longevity, flow, and quality of the work we have done after reading the GM test. It is sad that ram forum guys can put motor trend to shame with our process, you would think motor trend could do better, but who are they beholding too?

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did they test what is the point when cellulose turns into carb board from heat cycles? We know spun microglass will outlast any oil, I'm not sure the reason to consider paper unless you are on a less then 3 mos interval with less then 3k miles. Every paper filter I took off my ram from transmission to engine oil filter the media was simply stiff as a board, even at 5k miles.

Let's face it the information age is dead, the search for the perfect products is long dead. The PR and Marketing arms of everything from the gov't to the car manu's, it is in none of their interest in keeping engines running smoothly and lasting a long time. Until I see an unbiased test similar to the GM test that also includes lifespans of media and testing all available filters including the best ones made, then I'm not impressed. Flow rates is a good feature, but they couldnt even do that right by omitting filters that we know are full flow. I will stick with what we know about the longevity, flow, and quality of the work we have done after reading the GM test. It is sad that ram forum guys can put motor trend to shame with our process, you would think motor trend could do better, but who are they beholding too?
Even the engineers..."let's make it good, but not TOO good!"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963