Oil in coolant.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

widetrackman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys and gals...I have a 2012 Ram 1500, 4.7l.
I have oil in my coolant, both the rad and in the coolant tank. No coolant in my oil. Engine oil dipstick has no milky look. Just oil. Can someone tell me what's going on with my truck. Tks in advance..widetrackman..

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing you have a blown head gasket.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm not sure if those engines have a plate style oil cooler, so it's possibly a head gasket.
You might not see the oil milky but it could be there, pull an oil sample and have it tested. The report will let you know if there is coolant in the oil and if there is excessive wear metal in the oil. It could be the difference between a head job vs a short block, although if you well over 100K that may be the preferred repair.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The 4.7 is bad about blowing the head gasket. It only has to over heat once and it’s done.
Been there done that got the T-shirt too

The Blue Mule

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you tow heavy or have big tempature swings-warped heads? Pull sample to blackstone, if oil is ok head job should do it. Might want an new radiator as well and lines. RMI 25 will clean the oil out of the cooling system, but wont do a lot of good if you keep dropping oil in there. If you just go with heads either new or machined, you may want to run rmi25 with new heads for a coupe cycles. I'd be doing flushes maybe three in a row a month apart. Here's the issue with coolants, they don't have detergents so when something goes wrong, you need to add a flush, I have great success with rmi25, but there are others. new radiator cheap insurance going forward as it is already old anyhow, new rads like barely over 100 bucks.

could just be gasket, but I would want those heads mic'd by a pro to be sure, that can't be off at all. hw many miles? do pcv as well, maybe that is what caused in first place.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
if I remember the 4.7 has a whack pcv, doube check that ****. Likely culrpit of head gasket is either warped heads or pcv blew gasket, if the heads are still good, you need to make sure pcv is open. Look into your pcv system.

If it is pvc, it may be "possible" to fix this just by changing pcv, even though there is a gasket out the pressure needed to push the oil into coolant my not be there if pcv was closed and then open, it is at least possible.

OP
OP
W

widetrackman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tks for your replies guys. The engine is a long block warranty job and now has about 100k on it . Going to try dodge for some possible warranty as this problem started before the warranty ran out. Hope is nothing more then gasket.