Oil preference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haven't done my first oil change yet in my 13 and I'm curious to what yal are running. My hemi don't tick yet and I'd really like to keep it that way so I'd like to know the best oil an filter

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have used Mobil 1 since day 1 on both the rams I have had and never any trouble. Mopar filter #MO-899.

Edit: Mobil 1 synthetic

Last edited:

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the Penzoil conventional that came as factory fill and whatever quality filter is available when I'm ready. K&N, Bosch, etc. I figure the oil change indicator is calibrated for that oil and just change it whenever it gets down to 30% or so.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I usually use Amsoil Signature or XL (depending) with Pure Synthetic filter.

I think however, because of our plans for regular travel, and giving up our home, that I am going to run Mobil 1 in the Ram. It will be easier for me personally to get it everywhere in the country when I need to change it, faster than Amsoil.

But those are my two choices of preference.

jmgak47

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 1500 Express QC 8 Speed
Mobile 1 and Wix filter.

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ran penzoil conventional for 23,000 miles it seemed fine but I noticed a loud tick resently and switched to royal purple and a small cap full of slick 50 it's sense got quieter.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
whats with the rumor that ones multiple displacement Hemi may not function properly with anything other than 5W-20 ?

R/Tsyndicate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Castrol syntec 5w-30....

I was using 5w-20 for a while but noticed that it was wasting oil (dont know why since the truck is practically new) but ever since i switched to 5w-30 its been running like a champ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put Royal Purple in everything I own, and usually run a K&N oil filter... the bolt on the underside is so handy.. but with my xtended warranty I got free oil changes every 5000km/3 months for the lifetime that the truck stays in my name on the ownership. Hard to agrue that, oil isn't even dirty.

Last edited:

EdmontonSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I run Royal Purple HPS synthetic and an RP filter as well (as the RP rep showed me how it performs better and stays cleaner with its own filter), but any synthetic media filter (K&N/Wix) are better than the el cheapo ones.

Never heard of the Slick 50 though... what is the point of that? Is it worth it?

daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Royal Purple. I buy it off amazon when ever they run their "buy a case of oil get a free oil filter" promo.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline, high molybdenum has proven to be great and combating dry starts that cause Hemi tick. Isn't for everyone because of cost, but I believe it or Motul is the best you can buy. Read the synthe3tic oil thread. IMO, both Penzoil's Ultra and platinum are great over the counter products as well, Amsoil SS too, all are top 5 in my book. All 5 have molybdenum in different quantities but Redline and Motul have the most by a lot, and they are also group 5 oil which is the only true synthetic oil. But, I might even start at the bottom of the top 5 say Penzoil Platinum and see how your truck likes it, and if you want the benefits of the other oils read up on them and try them later. But as long as I own this truck, he's drinking redline.