Opinions on 19 Speaker Harman Kardon sound system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryelinek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I’ve seen on another forum those who have got their truck already weren’t overly impressed with the upgraded 19 speaker sound system. I ordered my Limited with it and am just waiting on production until I get my truck.

Any opinions from anyone who either has listened to the new sound system or has it in their truck? Impressed by the quality or not so much?

Blotterhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't heard it, but it's part of a large option group ($4400 on the Laramie) that would most likely include options I imagine are more important than which sound system you get.

On the Laramie, it's in the Equip 2 level group:

19-Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound
Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
Blind-Spot with Cross-Path and Trailer Detection
Foam Bottle Insert (Door Trim Panel)
Heated Second-Row Seats
Parksense Front/Rear Park-Assist w/Stop
Rain-Sensitive Windshield Wipers
Rear Under-Seat Compartment Storage
Remote Tailgate-Release
Rear 60 / 40 Folding Split-Recline Seat
Single-Disc Remote CD Player
Tailgate-Ajar Warning Lamp
Uconnect® 4C NAV
RamCharger Wireless Charging Pad

OP
OP
Ryelinek

Ryelinek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yea it’s the same on the Limited. Part of an overall bigger package in the Limited Level 1 group so I was going to get it regardless. More or less curious about the sound quality to those that have heard it. Harman Kardon makes a great product so I’d expect pretty good things.

When I test drove one that particular truck didn’t have it. Which was no big deal since I knew I wanted it anyway.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Audio is very subjective. Some are used to very expensive and/or custom audio setups, and they will always hate factory stereos, regardless of manufacturer, quality, or number of speakers. I like the Alpine system in my current truck. Upgraded the front (dash) speakers, and the sub, but overall it was only a small improvement. If I was ordering a 2019, I would get the HK system, and be very happy with it, I'm 99% certain. Most will be, I'm pretty sure. The small group that is not is very vocal about it, same as it was with the 4th gens. To each their own.

LaserMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had the Harman Kardon system in my SRT Jeep and it sounded good, but the same one in my Ram sounds even better in my opinion. The Alpine system sounds very good too so you can't really go wrong.

Alex Lima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 2019 limited with 19 harmon kardon speakers, and previously I had the alpine 9 speaker system in my previous truck. As far as loudness you won't notice a difference too much. The harmon kardon speakers are crisper in sound quality so with certain styles of music you will notice the difference. It's not a big difference from the Alpine, in my opinion it's about a 30 percent improvement in sound quality overall.

Joey Galarza

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 LL, 2015 LL, 2017 L, 2019 L
Engine
5.7 VVT
I was very disappointed in the system. Been looking everywhere as I have had several Alpine systems and loved them all. Anyway, earlier this evening (insomnia now) I signed up for all XM stuff and then activated android auto...BAM! It was like someone turned on the amp via android auto-amazon music. My wife could hear it inside house and it is crisp! Now, I did not try it without playing through AA but we will see what morning brings. Just my experiences not meant to stand as a "fix" or solution.

Thanks.

Kevin1106

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m driving a 2019 limited right now, waiting on my truck to be delivered. IMO it sounds great. Nice bass and treble, over I really like it. I do feel the radio could go louder. I have found myself turning it all the way up wishing it could go louder sometimes. I believe it stops on 35, if it could go to 40 it would be better. It’s a nice system. Can’t really go wrong if you get it.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dealership has a Laramie with the HK system and there is no sub to the system. This points to lack of bass. I have my truck on order with the same system and I suspect it'll be the same. Wonder why Ram pulled the sub?

LaserMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My dealership has a Laramie with the HK system and there is no sub to the system. This points to lack of bass. I have my truck on order with the same system and I suspect it'll be the same. Wonder why Ram pulled the sub?
I’m not so sure they got rid of the sub, I remember when they first got announced hearing that they just hid the sub behind the rear seat. There is a video by HK on YouTube which appears to show where all the speakers are. My dealer told me there wasn’t a sub in it either but maybe they just weren’t aware it’s hidden now.

chrisb198

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
I’m not so sure they got rid of the sub, I remember when they first got announced hearing that they just hid the sub behind the rear seat. There is a video by HK on YouTube which appears to show where all the speakers are. My dealer told me there wasn’t a sub in it either but maybe they just weren’t aware it’s hidden now.

I found a video online where a Ram rep at the Atlanta car show said it has a 10" sub.

Bcovish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it has a 10” sub.

Funny just picked mine up today with the HK system and was really Disappointed.

I listened to the alpine side by side and the alpine had tighter more clear bass and a lot more volume. The HK bass is muddy. The volume on the HK I could almost have a conversation at full max volume.

The HK had the edge on clarity on the highs though but not by much.
Honestly it sounds like the amp isn’t running at full tilt.

Just my opinion I would rather have the alpine

Full discloser my last vehicle was a SQ competition vehicle with the equipment and install worth we’ll over 10k. FWIW.

Last edited:

Bcovish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update from my post above.
Found out when using the satilite radio the SQ was meh and I was maxing out the volime which I could talk over at max gain.

Today I used my iPhone Bluetooth with tidal and the SQ was much better and the volume was extremely loud. With the Bluetooth I could go 3/4 gain on the knob and it was louder than I wanted or needed. I was delighted. I was already thinking on upgrading the sound system but now I’m pretty content. :)

Last edited:

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked out the 2019`s that had the HK system, glad i bought the 2018 sport with the alpine w/subwoofer. I just wasn`t as impressed with the 2019 as i thought i would be.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
FCA has addresses subpar audio issues in flash updates before. If the equipment is capable, they’ll get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the Harman Kardon system in my 14 Grand Cherokee and I liked it better than the upgraded Alpine I have in my 16 Ram.

Not complaining about the Alpine though...it was light years ahead of the Bose I had in a Nissan Armada and the Sony I had in my old Harley Davidson F150.

Mark2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I’ve seen on another forum those who have got their truck already weren’t overly impressed with the upgraded 19 speaker sound system. I ordered my Limited with it and am just waiting on production until I get my truck.

Any opinions from anyone who either has listened to the new sound system or has it in their truck? Impressed by the quality or not so much?
I have test driven two limiteds now and both had this sound system and it both cases the system is seriously lacking sound quality and volume. There is virtually no bass and no amount of adjustment to the equalizer makes any difference at all. In fact, I could not even find the sub-wolfer in the vehicle at all so I'm not sure what the 19th speaker is since the odd number would lead me to believe that one of the speakers is the sub. On the Serious Radio is was actually the worst sounding with FM being somewhat better and any USB music option being somewhat better yet but all options do not have enough volume and or equalizer adjustment to satisfy me. I currently have a 2011 Laramie with an excellent factory sound system and my girlfriend also has an excellent sound system in her 2018 Jeep Overland. Something just isnt right about this sound system and I have since decided fNOT to purchase this vehicle until this is all worked out. Every thing else about the truck is amazing so I sure hope this gets resolved soon

Bcovish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have test driven two limiteds now and both had this sound system and it both cases the system is seriously lacking sound quality and volume. There is virtually no bass and no amount of adjustment to the equalizer makes any difference at all. In fact, I could not even find the sub-wolfer in the vehicle at all so I'm not sure what the 19th speaker is since the odd number would lead me to believe that one of the speakers is the sub. On the Serious Radio is was actually the worst sounding with FM being somewhat better and any USB music option being somewhat better yet but all options do not have enough volume and or equalizer adjustment to satisfy me. I currently have a 2011 Laramie with an excellent factory sound system and my girlfriend also has an excellent sound system in her 2018 Jeep Overland. Something just isnt right about this sound system and I have since decided fNOT to purchase this vehicle until this is all worked out. Every thing else about the truck is amazing so I sure hope this gets resolved soon

Totally agree. I have mine dialed in now except for the bass. Ended up going -2 on the eq bacause it is really bad. It sounds like they have the XO on the sub set wrong.
Muddy and distorted. Hopefully they can find a fix for this or if I can find a hidden menu I can adjust myself would be great.

When I test drove the platinum Titan I was blown away at the Rockford Fosgate stereo. Simply amazing. Again I come from a SQ competition background. Almost bought the Titan for the sound it was that impressive. It had a DSP in it. Even 2weeka later I’m still in awe over that stereo system. Amazing. Lol. I just couldn’t get over my ass hurting from the seat on a 10minute test drive.