Opinions on this Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
On to the next one. What’s your zip code?

61701. Already checked autotrader and cargurus and there really aren't any deals. I don't think the deal.on the silver one is terrible but it's not where I need to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Kinda wondering if it's a bad idea to go out to 84 months in the silver one

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I understand that. The payment is important. You want to enjoy the truck not hate the payment.

no doubt the silver one is the best priced truck online that I’ve seen.

Hammer757

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You will pay a lot of interest going that long. However, it is your money and if you can afford the payment and get the truck you want then that is a decision you have to make. From a logical standpoint probably not, but from an emotional one, sounds more like a yes. The problem with going out that long is trade-in and the danger of being upside down on the loan. If you think you will keep the truck longer than that and get the enjoyment of using it then it doesn't matter. My best advice is don't over-extend your budget to buy it. In the end, the decision is yours and you have to live with it. Use to be it was rare to get a car loan for more than 5 years, now with the prices going so high they are making them longer (and making more money off them). Some think it is another financial bubble about to pop. Personally going out on a 7-year loan says you cannot afford the truck (you also have the increase in fuel costs and other items to cover). But if you feel your household can handle the cash flow of the payment then you just have to decide do you want that payment that long. In the end, it is your finances and your decision, everyone runs their budgets differently.

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You could always do the 84 month payment plan and pay $100 more a month on the principal. This way, you get a lower payment, and cut the loan time frame down as well.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have bought several vehicles in different states to get what I wanted. Personally, I like the black one better than the White ones.

If I am buying a newer vehicle I try to find one that still has some of the 36 month factory warranty left to give me a piece of mind. My local Ram dealer was kind enough to check the service history of the truck I bought out-of-state since I bought the last one from him and he didn't have a slightly used one similar to the one I wanted. You don't want to inherit someone else's problems. If you buy the truck right you can extend the warranty with a $100 $200 deductible fairly cheap if you go with one of the discount Chrysler warranty providers talked about on this forum.

Like you, I had a budget in mind and a new one was more than I wanted to spend.
I usually kick the old one to the curb myself, but if I trade I don't go very far away since I've had a couple of bad experiences with dealerships playing games with trade values. Like you, I've sent photos and have gotten a solid trade value before committing to the deal. Sometimes it's better to be dealing with the used car manager than having to go thru a Jr salesman that only drags out the deal.

On two of the deals I did the photos on the listing didn't match the vehicle when I got there. One had two wheels with considerable curb damage. Another (Challenger SRT8) had great photos of the engine bay and when I arrived and looked under the hood it had considerable wear and the motor had salt stains. I wanted more of a show car, but they dropped their price and I pulled the trigger.

The vehicle you're buying could be from an auction and even though it is in the rust belt it could have spent it's life in the South! I typically bring a certified check from my bank for most of the money and carry a couple of thousand in cash to give me some negotiating room should it be necessary. Be prepared to walk, i used that to my advantage once! Every dealership has it's own way of conducting business.

If you travel have your options open, have a plan B.

The last truck I bought had a deep scratch in the back right fender flare. The paint was not scratched. Since the scratch went completely across the fender flare it had to have scratched the box side. Either they buffed it out, or painted the box side. The vehicle history had 1 owner, low mileage, and no accidents. I looked around the box side for over spray, runs, dry edges of the clear, fish eyes, dirt in the paint, and from different angles in the sun since the truck is black with metallic in the paint and found nothing that stuck out. I happily bought the truck with 11k on the odometer. It was one of two I found nationwide with the options I wanted and was priced right. The only thing I didn't like was the floor shift for the 4 wheel drive, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

Good luck in your next purchase, maybe something will pop up on the radar that you like better!

Last edited:

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So a thought if you dont drive it alot, lease it and see if you like it. That's what I did. I pay .001% interest. Its not my daily driver so the mileage isnt a big deal. I know lots of folks with disagree but depending on how long you keep a vehicle this maybe the option. On my Lexus I purchased out right due to the daily driver. I have had my wagon in the shop 10 plus times, great at what it does....not sold on keeping it yet due to reliability. Granted they are all small things and recalls but I did have a new tranny put in at 4500 miles. Factory defect I suppose. Love the truck and am considering 37s

If this doesn't work and you want the truck tell them you want the warranty included in the price. Maybe a way to offset cost

OP
OP
K

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So a thought if you dont drive it alot, lease it and see if you like it. That's what I did. I pay .001% interest. Its not my daily driver so the mileage isnt a big deal. I know lots of folks with disagree but depending on how long you keep a vehicle this maybe the option. On my Lexus I purchased out right due to the daily driver. I have had my wagon in the shop 10 plus times, great at what it does....not sold on keeping it yet due to reliability. Granted they are all small things and recalls but I did have a new tranny put in at 4500 miles. Factory defect I suppose. Love the truck and am considering 37s

If this doesn't work and you want the truck tell them you want the warranty included in the price. Maybe a way to offset cost

Leasing was never an option for me before because I had a 55 mile round trip to work every day so I put too many miles on. We recently moved to town and cut that round trip to 7 miles. I wonder if it wouldn’t make sense to look into leasing a new one

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
61701. Already checked autotrader and cargurus and there really aren't any deals. I don't think the deal.on the silver one is terrible but it's not where I need to be

It might be time to recognize the fact that what you’re looking for budget wise is not conducive to the vehicle scenario you are in search of. One of the two will need to change.

OP
OP
K

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
You could always do the 84 month payment plan and pay $100 more a month on the principal. This way, you get a lower payment, and cut the loan time frame down as well.

The reason behind going 84 months is to lower the payment. If I’m going to throw an extra $100 at it I’ll just finance for 72

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Leasing was never an option for me before because I had a 55 mile round trip to work every day so I put too many miles on. We recently moved to town and cut that round trip to 7 miles. I wonder if it wouldn’t make sense to look into leasing a new one

This gets you brand new, yes it's more of a cost over all. That's due to it being brand new. You can find them for low 50s for a new one. Probably less. Incentives are always a bonus. You will still owe money after your lease, it doesn't pay the truck off. Just food for thought. Everyone has different needs

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

Leasing is an option as the vast majority of trucks sold go out the door that way. The upside is, of course, lower payments but the down side is it's hard to get back into a paid for truck unless you buy the lease out at the end or go used.

I'm not sure how committed you are to Ram but because the lease is calculated on out the door price - estimated resale at lease end. Ram may not be the best choice for a 2-3 years lease unless you get a killer deal on a new PW or another choice of Ram.

IAC good luck with your quest.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Leasing is an option as the vast majority of trucks sold go out the door that way. The upside is, of course, lower payments but the down side is it's hard to get back into a paid for truck unless you buy the lease out at the end or go used.

I'm not sure how committed you are to Ram but because the lease is calculated on out the door price - estimated resale at lease end. Ram may not be the best choice for a 2-3 years lease unless you get a killer deal on a new PW or another choice of Ram.

I plan on purchasing my lease after the 5 years is up. I'll have to pay an additional 17k for it to be paid off. Or I can trade it in . Do whatever if I find out I dont like it....just another option is all

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Speaking of used Power Wagon values, I just traded my 2018 Power Wagon yesterday for two vehicles (it takes a lot to replace a Power Wagon). I have a slide in camper for a short bed truck that I want to be able to use, and the camper has a wet weight of 3200 lbs. So I bought a 2019 Ram 3500 crew cab short bed w/ the Cummins engine. The employee pricing sale is going on this month, so they knocked $13K off the price of the truck. And because it didn't make sense to have two pickup trucks I traded the the Power Wagon on a 2019 Jeep Rubicon. The Rubicon MSRP was $49K, and they traded me straight across for the Power Wagon. They tell me that they actually sold me the Jeep for $42,755. So that is what a 2018 Power Wagon goes for on trade-in, in this neck of the woods.

It has been nice having a Power Wagon, time to move on though.

OP
OP
K

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

I certainly wouldn’t have thought that the majority of trucks are leased.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I certainly wouldn’t have thought that the majority of trucks are leased.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
...Me neither. To lease you normally have to put down 2k.
I’m on my 8th vehicle that I financed and never leased yet. Maybe I’m the Minority??