Options for setting fuel sync

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArDavid318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I’m opening another magnum fuel sync discussion. My question is if anyone knows of another scan tool I can purchase that will set fuel sync. I know the snap on and the DRB2 but they are a bit expensive. I’m really looking at a autel mx808 but I don’t know if it will do what I need. If anyone knows I’d appreciate some help before I buy. Thanks!

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you can find a cheap OTC Genisys that will work too. Having said that, here is my standard rant about fuel sync: It doesn't do what the name suggests, and it's not that critical either. In fact, 98 (IIRC) and up PCMs only use fuel sync for starting the engine and don't need it for keeping it running (ScannerDanner has a video on it). "Fuel sync" merely tells the PCM which set of injectors are going to be fired during a crank revolution (1-8-4-3 or 6-5-7-2). If the engine runs fine there is no need to mess with it, the PCM can compensate for some variation. In fact the scan tool turns off the compensation and shows the degree difference between the crank and the cam sensor.

OP
OP
ArDavid318

ArDavid318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s my thought process in the beginning when I put the motor in five years ago. I ran it without setting the fuel sync for about 4 years with no problems what so ever. I set it last year with my buddies snap on just for piece of mind. With that said I am in the midst of tuning along with a bunch of other modifications and were wanting to set the sync before I tune it just to make it run as well as I can. Thanks for the reply though I strongly agree especially since I ran it without for four years. I’m going to buy a autel mx808 from my tool guy tomorrow. I need it for my other projects and the wife’s car so I’ll let everyone else know if it has the ability to set sync or not.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Fuel sync is more critical with aftermarket camshafts. It's not just used at startup though. Fuel sync is an electronic reading for mechanical engine timing. It's an interpretation of cam position in relation to piston position for the number 1 cylinder. While it's not directly using that all the time, if that signal is lost you will have a shutdown no restart condition. Why it's more critical with aftermarket camshafts has to do with port velocity changes due to that cam and getting the thing to idle and run worth a damn. Stock truck, yeah you can do the mechanical procedure and never fine tweak it with the scanner and be fine. If you are putting in an aftermarket cam you HAVE to set it correctly to the spec your tuner tells you. Mine had me set it at +6 degrees.

OP
OP
ArDavid318

ArDavid318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Understandable, I have a feeling I got a little lucky when I dropped my cam in without setting the sync. It wasn’t all that much more of a cam though.
For everyone else that might be wondering though the new Autel MX808 will set sync once it’s updated. Just make sure you get one for your region! I purchased mine off my Cornwell rep for 500 bucks. If you get one from Amazon it will likely be an overseas version and can’t be easily updated so I’ve heard. All and all it’s a pretty nice tool for what I will need it for. Thanks for the help guys!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Understandable, I have a feeling I got a little lucky when I dropped my cam in without setting the sync. It wasn’t all that much more of a cam though.
For everyone else that might be wondering though the new Autel MX808 will set sync once it’s updated. Just make sure you get one for your region! I purchased mine off my Cornwell rep for 500 bucks. If you get one from Amazon it will likely be an overseas version and can’t be easily updated so I’ve heard. All and all it’s a pretty nice tool for what I will need it for. Thanks for the help guys!
That’s awesome to hear there’s another option out there for tools that work!