Other truck's feature you wish RAM had?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. Massage seats for the long hauls
2. Keypad to unlock door
3. GPS that uses either Google maps or Waze.

This GPS is downright stupid. 2017 limited.

Is it just me, or am I the only one who thinks massaging seats are a bad idea, that would promote falling asleep at the wheel? But then again, with all the safety stuff I mentioned in my above post, I guess it would be ok if somebody did happen to fall asleep at the wheel, their vehicle would keep them in their lane, and keep them from rear-ending someone....lol.

But yes I agree, the navigation that comes with the Rams is quite redundant. I don’t really care for what all Apple CarPlay brings to the table but I do like how when you use it, that you can substitute the factory NAV for either Apple Maps or Google maps.

Just for grins and giggles, is there anyway to turn off that portion of Apple CarPlay, the part where it wants to display, and read you your text messages and tries to get you to voice your text message response? If I could turn that part off, I might just leave CarPlay enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Udaloy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't see how a massage is going to make anyone fall asleep. It does, however, keep blood flowing to my ass and legs to keep them from cramping up.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see them trying to "catch up" with anyone, they just do things differently and I like that.
There for a while, they were suckin’ hind-tit on features.

I think that the flip up tow mirrors are the slickest idea that any of the big 3 have come up with.
They look like normal mirrors when they are down and then when you need them they flip up and work great.
Not all of us like the ugly assed pogo stick mirrors on the furds and chebys.
I do like that concept, but I sure did like the old style tow mirrors on the Pherds. I just like how they always resembled big truck mirrors either pulled in or extended out in tow mode. And I liked how the fish-eye mirrors at the bottom were adjustable also. c96dc8e44d01c8f587162e5152a6c171.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see how a massage is going to make anyone fall asleep. It does, however, keep blood flowing to my ass and legs to keep them from cramping up.

I’ve never sat in a car seat that has a massage feature so I guess I have no idea on how well... it works. Lol.

The leather seats in my 18 Ram are pretty derned comfortable. Probably the most comfortable seats I’ve ever sat on. I’ve done a few long trips and I’ve experienced a lot less fatigue from sitting there.

I’m not arguing against the massage feature, I’m just stating very nonchalantly that I don’t think it’s needed.

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Massage is nice. Work really well in mercedes, but haven't tried the Ford ones. I do find ram has very comfortable seats though. Biggest things ford has that I want are keypad so I can hide my keys locked in the truck when I'm at the beach and their tailgate step is excellent. Biggest things chevy has that I want are the heads up display, the barn doors on the tailgate because it makes it easier to get to stuff in the back with less reaching and their control and plug in layout including the inverter in the box.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Biggest things ford has that I want are keypad so I can hide my keys locked in the truck when I'm at the beach...
I guess that would be kinda neat considering, if you wanted to leave everything in your vehicle (including your phone, even if you had the Uconnect app) and still be able to lock it up.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Many of the things listed earlier in this thread are available in newer Rams. (Not all, but many.)

Paddle shifters +1. More camera related systems would be my wish, I think. Some vehicles (not necessarily trucks) are starting to have front cameras, originally designed for help parking, also serve as built-in dash cameras. That would be nice.

Paddle shifters for sure. The gear buttons on the steering wheel are inconvenient, and the need to press and hold the Gear+ button to switch back to Auto was not well thought out.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Paddle shifters for sure. The gear buttons on the steering wheel are inconvenient, and the need to press and hold the Gear+ button to switch back to Auto was not well thought out.
This has been addressed in gen5 with an up down button that is easier to reach and is more useable vs having it clumped in with the cruise on the front of the wheel. If you want to get into poorly laid out or thought out controls on the late model gen4 its a long list, but most of those things have been corrected on the gen5.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You have to hold the Gear+ button to put it back into Auto-mode? I don’t have to do that in my 18. Just the other day when I was playing around with it, I used the Gear- button to downshift a few gears then just pushed the Gear+ button a few times to go back to 8th gear, then one more push again to put it back into auto mode.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
You have to hold the Gear+ button to put it back into Auto-mode? I don’t have to do that in my 18. Just the other day when I was playing around with it, I used the Gear- button to downshift a few gears then just pushed the Gear+ button a few times to go back to 8th gear, then one more push again to put it back into auto mode.

Sorry, let me clarify. Yes, I can do what you described on my '17 (but you can also press/hold to switch back). I'm referring to other manufacturers like Subaru where if you use the paddle (either direction) and don't do anything else, it will switch back to normal tranny function within a few seconds. If there's an extra load on it (like going down a long hill) it will hold in the gear you've selected until the extra load is gone). It's a great feature.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This has been addressed in gen5 with an up down button that is easier to reach and is more useable vs having it clumped in with the cruise on the front of the wheel. If you want to get into poorly laid out or thought out controls on the late model gen4 its a long list, but most of those things have been corrected on the gen5.

There’s a few things- like the relocation of the two USB ports and the AUX port from out of the underside of flip-down console to the dash, the CD player moved from the inside of the console to the dash(if that was actually an option I wished I had), and the more-combined area of the rotary dial shifter and the transfer-case, I’m really pleased with the layout of my 4th-gen Limited and don’t consider it as a poor layout, but that’s just my opinion.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just saw a feature on a ford I really want. Since i have frozen windshield wipers persistantly to the point my feet are often frozen because it takes all the heat I have to thaw them. Wiper heating elements in the front windshield.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just saw a feature on a ford I really want. Since i have frozen windshield wipers persistantly to the point my feet are often frozen because it takes all the heat I have to thaw them. Wiper heating elements in the front windshield.

That is a cool thing. I pity the people who have that and don’t have a low windshield glass deductible on their insurance for when it comes time to replace it because you know that ain’t cheap and all, having those heating elements in the glass.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That is a cool thing. I pity the people who have that and don’t have a low windshield glass deductible on their insurance for when it comes time to replace it because you know that ain’t cheap and all, having those heating elements in the glass.

It shouldn't be much extra. Just a couple elements like you'd find on a lot of rear windows and mirrors. Speaking of price jumps though. Check out how much it'll cost us if we burn out a tail light on our trucks with led tail lights. Old one was 2 bucks for the bulb and you could get them anywhere and fix it same day. New one is over 500 for the whole assembly.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
12 volt unkeyed power outlet like my 2000 Cummins has.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
12 volt unkeyed power outlet like my 2000 Cummins has.
If you have the centre console then the power outlet on the back of it for rear seat passengers is unkeyed. I installed this in my lower centre console and pulled the power from that one. Also nice to plug stuff in and not have to see all the wires.15397105630264648532670271014378.jpg 15397105630264648532670271014378.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It shouldn't be much extra. Just a couple elements like you'd find on a lot of rear windows and mirrors.
Yeah but see, those items don’t get messed up very often, as much as windshields have the potential to do so, tho. I’m just speaking for me, but I’ve never broke a side-view mirror or a back window to date. I’ve had plenty of windshields replaced, though.

Speaking of price jumps though. Check out how much it'll cost us if we burn out a tail light on our trucks with led tail lights. Old one was 2 bucks for the bulb and you could get them anywhere and fix it same day. New one is over 500 for the whole assembly.
That’s true. But that’s the nature of the beast, though. As time moves on, parts get more fancy and complex and with that, brings extra cost. I’m sure those premium projector-beam headlights ain’t cheap, either. That LED strip on the bottom is probably pretty expensive by itself if it were to ever burn out. And having said that, I love having the DRL’s in them turned on but in light of that thought, I’m almost considering having the DRL’s turned back off because of fear of accelerated wear and even though it’s an OEM feature on an OEM light, it’s still a feature that wasn’t enabled when I bought the truck so, I’m wondering if when the time ever came up to have to replace that light fixture/LED strip, if my lifetime-warranty would cover it. Hopefully they used good quality parts on those, and on the taillights and hopefully the plastic will be all faded and cracked, long before those LED’s ever quit.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah but see, those items don’t get messed up very often, as much as windshields have the potential to do so, tho. I’m just speaking for me, but I’ve never broke a side-view mirror or a back window to date. I’ve had plenty of windshields replaced.

That’s true. But that’s the nature of the beast, though. As time moves on, parts get more fancy and complex and with that, brings extra cost. I’m sure those premium projector-beam headlights ain’t cheap, either. That LED strip on the bottom is probably pretty expensive by itself if it were to ever burn out. And having said that, I love having the DRL’s on them turned on but in light of that thought, I’m almost considering having the DRL’s turned back off because of fear of accelerated wear and even though it’s an OEM feature on an OEM light, it’s a feature that wasn’t enabled when I bought the truck so, I’m wondering if the time ever came up to have to replace that light fixture/LED strip, if my lifetime-warranty would cover it. Hopefully they used good quality parts on those, and on the taillights and hopefully the plastic will be all faded and cracked, long before those LED’s ever quit.

I'm hoping they last, but my friends 17 lost the led light strip below the headlight up front pretty quick.warranty covered, but still makes me nervous.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm hoping they last, but my friends 17 lost the led light strip below the headlight up front pretty quick.warranty covered, but still makes me nervous.

Did he have the DRL’s enabled?

I dunno, I would hope that if by having mine on, prematurely wears them out that, warranty would still cover it’s repair because even though it was feature that wasn’t enabled from the factory, it’s still a feature that’s factory-enabled for like well, the Canadian trucks for example. It’s still a factory, OEM headlight with a factory OEM-available feature.