Out with the old and in with the new.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know first hand two people that both had problems with water leaks in new trailers in the past few months. One also had a water heater problem. I would suggest taking a compressor and pressure gauge and pressurize the system. If you were using it soon I would even fill with water and take a propane tank and check system that way, plus check trailer heater system and refrigerator to make sure all is running. That way you don't have to go back if the unlikely happens and there is a problem. Good luck, nice looking camper, enjoy it!
One of the quick ways to tell if you have a water leak is to turn on the water pump and pressurize the system. Then wait to see if the pump kicks on again anytime soon. I'm going to do this at the beginning of the walk thru. I shouldn't hear it again until I turn on the faucet.

The last trailer we bought, the fridge died on the second trip. It was covered under warranty but it worked during the walk thru and our first trip out.

Those of us who have owned trailers know stuff happens. This is our third new trailer and each of the other two times we had issues after the walk thru. But all three were bought from this dealership and they always took care of us. None of the issues were their fault. All build quality issues. All were different makes. Salem, Dutchman, and now Coachmen. Hopefully this one will be different but if it's not I won't be surprised.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, hear you. In just my immediate family we have had about 20 new trailers and motorhomes in the past 10 years. Always something.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congratulations and best of luck!

Looks a lot like our Surveyor.

Start making your reservations. It's tuff. Of course we only stay at state parks COE And such. Not commercial parks.

Have fun!

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys, I really can't wait to go camping now.

I hope you have better luck finding spots than me. We bought a used Winnebago in November. I had 5 campgrounds in Florida tell me they’re booked through May.

Sent from my LG-V60 using Tapatalk.

Tom McClellan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats. Lots of storage is NEVER a bad thing. just what we have been looking at. Keep us posted please. Anticipating any problems staying under your max payload? Using an equaliser hitch?

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats. Lots of storage is NEVER a bad thing. just what we have been looking at. Keep us posted please. Anticipating any problems staying under your max payload? Using an equaliser hitch?
I am using an equalizer hitch.

Payload shouldn't be a problem. My truck has a 1600lb payload. The trailer we're trading in is 33' with a 650 dry tongue. It weighed out at 1100 loaded. This new trailer is 650 as well but is shorter and has wide stance axles. The distance between the front axle and the front of the trailer is shorter than the old trailer. That changes the fulcrum point. So weight on the front might not have as much of an effect on the tongue as the old trailer. Plus all the weight of the fridge and that huge closet is over the axles right where it needs to be. I'm thinking with all that factored in the loaded tongue should be lighter or at least the same.

On top of that some of the stuff we took out of the old trailer isn't going back in the new one. That's the trend with all our trailers. Less stuff goes back in the new one. We deal with less and less stuff. The old trailer is 6500 dry and 7500 loaded for camping.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Congrats LR! Beautiful rig!

How were prices? I'm tempted to finally upgrade our 32 yr old Layton and there is a starcraft with a floor plan we like, but the prices are up like 4-5k versus pre pandemic and I'm having trouble with that one..lol!

Just curious.. thanks man. Enjoy that new rig!

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats LR! Beautiful rig!

How were prices? I'm tempted to finally upgrade our 32 yr old Layton and there is a starcraft with a floor plan we like, but the prices are up like 4-5k versus pre pandemic and I'm having trouble with that one..lol!

Just curious.. thanks man. Enjoy that new rig!

The MSRP was 38k but we all know that means very little. We paid 26k. They didn't come down off their advertised price. I don't think that they are much higher than before but with them as popular as they are now the dealerships have no reason to drop the price. They know whatever they have will sell. The salesman told me that he sold over 300 units last year. In a couple of years there are going to be a lot of sightly used trailers on the market. In the next year or two I expect the prices to drop because of that. That's why we traded our Aspen Trail in now. It's still worth something. But that's just my theory.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The MSRP was 38k but we all know that means very little. We paid 26k. They didn't come down off their advertised price. I don't think that they are much higher than before but with them as popular as they are now the dealerships have no reason to drop the price. They know whatever they have will sell. The salesman told me that he sold over 300 units last year. In a couple of years there are going to be a lot of sightly used trailers on the market. In the next year or two I expect the prices to drop because of that. That's why we traded our Aspen Trail in now. It's still worth something. But that's just my theory.

I think the used trailer market has cooled down a little. I’m no longer getting emails and letters from dealers wanting me to trade in or just to buy my TT. I hadn’t noticed that until now.

Last edited:

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I could use a bigger trailer...my truck makes mine look small
20200829_103707.jpg 20200720_202509.jpg

But we wouldn't be able to camp at our favorite spots. All are 28 foot and under...the one at the river last year was the last available...26 foot and under...we would have lost out on going for the first time in 7 years had I had a 30+ footer.

This year...the smaller trailer will be even more of a blessing as people fight for the bigger sites

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats on the new camper! I really like the layout and the door being at the back and the end but still under the awning. Thats the one thing I kind of don't like with ours is the door is almost centered under the awning.

As far as prices go for our camper we bought new last year for $23k advertised price and this year they have the same one exact everything and the same dealer has it at $28k.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. We're excited. If we can get a spot, our first trip out will be at the end of April. Our anniversary weekend. 29 years.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, I really can't wait to go camping now.

Sent from my LG-V60 using Tapatalk.

Not gonna insult U as U are a seasoned TT puller, but so U know wat to be aware of, and Great Looking and Enjoy it. Maybe U can take up in the Pocono's in the summer? That be a hoot, LOL.