Overhead console replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dubj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2007 Ram 1500 4.7. Last year I decided to install a new overhead console, one of the lights was cracked. I ordered the new one from ebay and since I was ordering one I decided to get the one that had the built in garage door opener. My issue came when I attempted to program the garage door opener...IT WILL NOT WORK!!! I wonder if there is something that needs to be added or maybe the truck is missing some sort of wire that comes with the vehicles that already have this feature. Does anyone have any Idea on how I can get this newly installed option to work with my garage doors?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You need to read your owner's manual better. Just about all garage door openers operate on a rotating frequency. There is a special programming sequence involving both the homelink and the door opener.

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In particular, you need to reset the controller. It's like holding down the two outer buttons, something like that. Should be in the manual like Lonestar said.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
In particular, you need to reset the controller. It's like holding down the two outer buttons, something like that. Should be in the manual like Lonestar said.

That will also be in the manual, to clear out any previous programming

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2007 Ram 1500 4.7. Last year I decided to install a new overhead console, one of the lights was cracked. I ordered the new one from ebay and since I was ordering one I decided to get the one that had the built in garage door opener. My issue came when I attempted to program the garage door opener...IT WILL NOT WORK!!! I wonder if there is something that needs to be added or maybe the truck is missing some sort of wire that comes with the vehicles that already have this feature. Does anyone have any Idea on how I can get this newly installed option to work with my garage doors?

I did the exact same thing as you with swapping from a regular overhead to one with Homelink in my 06. Like the previous posters have said, you will need to clear the old garage door codes from the previous owner and relearn them to your doors.

There are no extra wires that need to be added and no dealer programming needed. The homelink just uses the 12v power thats already going into the overhead and is its own standalone module, not part of the dodge CAN bus mess.

OP
OP
D

Dubj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cleared the code, but it doesn't seem to work. Maybe I just need to use a little more patience. Thank you guys for the help.